Blue Slip Success Story

On our interview date in GUZ, Wolvie and I met only one other USC (I'll call him Charlie) in line and had coffee with him for a couple of hours waiting for what would be our girls' successful results. Unfortunately, Charlie's fiancee received a blue slip asking for one letter of eveoluition of the relationship and and one detailing his 3 trips to China.

Charlie was incredibly frustrated there in the coffee shop. He was just pissed beyond belief that the VO didn't ask for the evidence they had in their "kitchen sink." Note that Charlie wasn't aware of ACH or notarizing at ACS. Frustration boiled over into anger, and for a few seconds I was quite concerned he would try to go upstairs and confront the VO.

During this time we learned what actually transpired during the interview. Charlie had been married twice, both years and years before. One marriage lasted 2 months, the other marriage lasted 10 years and there was a daughter from that marriage. Guess which one he discussed more often with his fiancee. His fiancee's English is limited and when he talked to her about the two month marriage (and maybe only a few times), it didn't stick. The VO asked her "how many times has Charlie been married?" She replied "once." The VO snapped immediately back "he is lying to you." and blue slipped them seeking more information in two notarized letters. I think they were extremely lucky to get blue.

We calmed him down, got him to relax and Ying and I took Charlie and his fiancee to our hotel where I helped him write his two letters. That afternoon he got them notarized at ACS where a former VO listened patiently to his complaints and was very sympathetic to his situation. He totally understod the two month marriage not ever having been discussed at great length and made notes in the file as such. He even mentioned the VO was transferring soon and would likely want his desk cleared and the "blue overcome" could be a quick process.

We spent the next several days with this nice couple having dinner and hanging out trying to cheer them up. The following week I even took Charlie to HK to have his passport stamped. He only had a 6 month visa with 30 day entrys which obviously added even more pressure on him staying up in Shanghai with his fiancee.

The next Monday he went to ACH and gave them the notarized letters. They asked him to mail them in as well, which he did.

Today I heard from Charlie. They received their visa a few days ago (expedited the same day at GUZ for no extra charge) and they will be here in Texas in March. Yes, another Texan. :) Hopefully we will be getting together with them next month or so.

I wanted to give some of you blue slipped couples some hope out there with this story. Hope your overcomes are as quick and successful as Charlie's.

Edited by Batmaniac (see edit history)

On our interview date in GUZ, Wolvie and I met only one other USC (I'll call him Charlie) in line and had coffee with him for a couple of hours waiting for what would be our girls' successful results. Unfortunately, Charlie's fiancee received a blue slip asking for one letter of eveoluition of the relationship and and one detailing his 3 trips to China.

Charlie was incredibly frustrated there in the coffee shop. He was just pissed beyond belief that the VO didn't ask for the evidence they had in their "kitchen sink." Note that Charlie wasn't aware of ACH or notarizing at ACS. Frustration boiled over into anger, and for a few seconds I was quite concerned he would try to go upstairs and confront the VO.

During this time we learned what actually transpired during the interview. Charlie had been married twice, both years and years before. One marriage lasted 2 months, the other marriage lasted 10 years and there was a daughter from that marriage. Guess which one he discussed more often with his fiancee. His fiancee's English is limited and when he talked to her about the two month marriage (and maybe only a few times), it didn't stick. The VO asked her "how many times has Charlie been married?" She replied "once." The VO snapped immediately back "he is lying to you." and blue slipped them seeking more information in two notarized letters. I think they were extremely lucky to get blue.

We calmed him down, got him to relax and Ying and I took Charlie and his fiancee to our hotel where I helped him write his two letters. That afternoon he got them notarized at ACS where a former VO listened patiently to his complaints and was very sympathetic to his situation. He totally understod the two month marriage not ever having been discussed at great length and made notes in the file as such. He even mentioned the VO was transferring soon and would likely want his desk cleared and the "blue overcome" could be a quick process.

We spent the next several days with this nice couple having dinner and hanging out trying to cheer them up. The following week I even took Charlie to HK to have his passport stamped. He only had a 6 month visa with 30 day entrys which obviously added even more pressure on him staying up in Shanghai with his fiancee.

The next Monday he went to ACH and gave them the notarized letters. They asked him to mail them in as well, which he did.

Today I heard from Charlie. They received their visa a few days ago (expedited the same day at GUZ for no extra charge) and they will be here in Texas in March. Yes, another Texan. :) Hopefully we will be getting together with them next month or so.

I wanted to give some of you blue slipped couples some hope out there with this story. Hope your overcomes are as quick and successful as Charlie's.

Charlie definitely dodged a bullet, a WHITE bullet, by getting that blue RFE instead. In fact, I'm totally surprised that he got anything BUT a white based on his SO's response to the marriage question AND the VO's response to her. Some folks have karma that they don't even know they have! He's also more fortunate than he knows to have had you there to help him along in his procedure.

Good job on your part! Best of luck to them on their new life together!

Splinterman

Charlie definitely dodged a bullet, a WHITE bullet, by getting that blue RFE instead. In fact, I'm totally surprised that he got anything BUT a white based on his SO's response to the marriage question AND the VO's response to her.

Absloutely! I forgot to mention the VO also was playing CPA and going line by line through Charlie's tax return. Charlie met the requirements easily and has been paying quite a bit in taxes being self-employed, but the VO insisted on asking his fiancee if Charlie made enough to support her. :) It was overall a weird experience, but it sounds like this VO is no longer at GUZ.

I think this story goes to show the importance of front loading with an evolution of relationship letter, ACH and notarization of the I-134 and prehaps an ammended relationship letter at ACS prior to the interview.

That's a great story Michael. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is always nice to here some good news!

I think you met Charlie briefly in the coffee shop our interview morning. I sure wish yours had been so easy. :) It's so unfair.

As a blue[plural] and white myself, I am always trying to stay current. I have no magic wand to make it happen. If at all possible when the blue comes up, go back and try to deal with it in GUZ. The more trips in GUZs book, the more it shows you are in it for the long haul.

Today I heard from Charlie. They received their visa a few days ago (expedited the same day at GUZ for no extra charge) and they will be here in Texas in March. Yes, another Texan. :lol: Hopefully we will be getting together with them next month or so.

Indeed a great story and a wonderful outcome.

my wife and i where also the receiver of the all mighty blue.

I know first hand how Charlie felt during and after the overcome.

It is always nice to hear a Blue/White that works out to the best.

Once again, Great Story!!

Mike and Hong

When I was there I ran into a gentleman who was pissed. He wouldn't accept that he couldn't get to the 5th floor till 9[?]. Guz was running interviews that day. I never saw him again and wonder how he made out. Ugly American personified.

When I was there I ran into a gentleman who was pissed. He wouldn't accept that he couldn't get to the 5th floor till 9[?]. Guz was running interviews that day. I never saw him again and wonder how he made out. Ugly American personified.

Hey Georgeandli...was he wearing black socks? :P

Splinterman

I saw fellow who was angry, loud and obnoxious in ACH. When he came out he talked to my group a few minutes. Ying talked to his wife in Chinese. It turned out she didn't even know what type of visa she was applying for when the VO brought it up! Communication, communication, communication . . . there it is again. :)

The guy I saw was insisting he had a passport and could go whenever he wanted. The Chinese security guy and him kept louder and still never spoke the same language. I'm not sure what petition he had filed for but his SO had been denied the day before and he was going to straighten the GD thing out. Linen shirt, cargo shorts and yes black calf shocks and sandals. Truely a "I'm not with him" moment.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add another Blue Slip success story.

My friend at work, naturalized AC but born in GUZ, was recently "blue slipped" (Feb 2009) because the FAO did not believe his finacee when she stated that they communicate in Chinese.

The FAO told her to get a video of them speaking to each other.

They found a place in GUZ that does these types of videos (although the video shop stated that they have not done them in a quite awhile).

The video was very comprehensive. He and his fiancee discussed (in Chinese)/displayed the various forms of relationship evidence that they had.

So not only did the GUZ staff get to hear his Chinese, but also saw all the relationship evidence.

The video was submitted 2 days after the interview.

20 days later, his fiancee was notified that she was approved.

I think that this is a great story. The process worked.

The FAO had a concern. The concern was addressd. And the visa was awarded.

I advised him to get this type of video done, but I also told him that I learned about this on CFL.

He wanted me to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge/experiences with everyone.

It helped him succeed and it helped me succeed.

Kudos to all.

Great to hear your friend succeded but the thing that bothers me about this is the VO would have had the file right in front of him at the interview. In the file would have been the petitioner's A number as well as his G-325A biographic that would have shown quite clearly that he was born in China and was a naturalized citizen. It seems to me quite obvious that the man could communicate with his sweet heart in Chinese.