Police Certificate and its translation

Hi,

First I would like to thanks everyone who answered my previous posts, they were very helpful.

My wife is trying to get a police certificate soon. We want to know what does one contain and its translation. We want to make sure it contains/has the correct information and the correct translation. Does anyone have a sample of police certificate from China? Do we need to send in the original for NVC? Lastly, does it have 1 year before it is expired? Thank you very much.

Ricky

ya, it'll need to be translated. INTO english.

wife? i assume you are doing I-130? or you doing K-3 ?

if I-130, IIRC, NVC wants original set.

if K-3, you bring it to the interview (somebody correct me on this).

remember where you got your marriage certificate translated into english, into a WHITE BOOK ? Can have the police report translated there, as well (Usually).

NVC is asking for original documents, I Swear this is one of those you are to send in.

Yes, it has 'validity' date of one year with DOS/USCIS/NVC.

I kinda hate that part, as you have to get it redone if past that one year window.

I am pursuing cr1. When is the best time to obtain the police certificate? can you also tell me what a police certificate states in the certificate? Just want to make sure that the police station place issue the police certificate with all required information. Thanks a lot.

Ricky

ya, it'll need to be translated. INTO english.

wife? i assume you are doing I-130? or you doing K-3 ?

if I-130, IIRC, NVC wants original set.

if K-3, you bring it to the interview (somebody correct me on this).

remember where you got your marriage certificate translated into english, into a WHITE BOOK ? Can have the police report translated there, as well (Usually).

NVC is asking for original documents, I Swear this is one of those you are to send in.

Yes, it has 'validity' date of one year with DOS/USCIS/NVC.

I kinda hate that part, as you have to get it redone if past that one year window.

Guest ShaQuaNew

All police certificates are time sensitive, meaning that they are good only for a certain time after they are pulled. I think it's something like six months, but maybe one year. You can check the USCIS Web site to find the current requirement. With that being said, there is no need to pull one until you are about ready to file the paperwork. If I remember correctly, it's needs to be obtained from your hometown.

After you get it, you need to take it to a certified translator, to translate it into English, and put the China stamp on it in Red. Nothing in China is official unless it has that red stamp. Most of these translators are easy to find, so depending upon your city, you might check with other members to see where their partners went to get theirs.

As far as the content of the police certificate, it's more important what it doesn't say, that what it says. It should show that there have been no arrests or other trouble with law enforcement. That's what you're looking for.

Never send original anything to the USCIS or NVC unless it's specifically requested. Always send a copy. Keep the originals in a safe place, and ready to go in the unlikely case they are requested in an interview.

The following is copied from David Zs FAQ:

Main Index:

NOTE: Use the white toolbar across the top to locate a specific topic

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...ndex_New2.html#

Q.2.6 Police Certificate?

A.2.6.1

There is only one police department where she is registered as a resident (Hukou) that will provide a report. Make sure it says that it applies to all of China.

A.2.6.2

The one we got in Shanghai says XXXX born on xx-xx-xxxx (date), now residing at xxxxxxxx had no record of criminal sanctions during her residence in CHINA up to (the date of) xx-xx-2005.

I also believe you will find some old threads on this subject and GENERALLY GUZ accepts it for the whole country. (Someone previously was trying to get P.C.'s for multiple places in China BUT I BELIEVE that their hukou checks the reference base for the entire nation.

A.2.6.3

My fianc¨¦e went to the Chinese government notary public in Nanning yesterday and talked to them about this because somehow the government notary public is involved in obtaining the police certificates. They of course told her she has to go back to her hometown where she has her "hukou". And they told her she can only have one police certificate, not three. But they told her that the one police certificate will have reference to all three places she has lived.

A.2.6.4

Hukou?

It is the location where a person's ID card officially has them registered. Further, it provides a whole host of legal benefits and privileges.

For example, if your hukou is in the city where my precious is, then you can use the hospital there, free of charge. However, if you happen to live in one of the many villages surrounding the city (although only 5,000,000 ppl live in the city and of these only about 3,000,000 have a registered hukou there and about 10,000,000 live in the greater area) then you have to pay to use the hospital.

Additionally, in the city that she lives in, if her hukou is registered in the city, it acts like renter's protection. No one can legally charge her rent on the place that she lives in , nor can the owner of the house, even if it has changed since her hukou was added to the house, force the occupant to move out from her house.

A.2.6.5

My understanding is that everyone in china is given a hukou, in the home that they were born in. It can be easy in some cases to change one's hukou, and tough in others. In my darling's city, to get a hukou in the city, you need to have the owner of the house, and everyone who currently has a hukou registered in the house agree to add your name. That is how she did it, her grand mom, 6 months before passing away (**SIGH**) added her name with her own, since she agreed to care for her grandmother and others were too busy to help the grandmother. That has helped her to be able to legally work in any profession in the city and get much better access to medical services. This is a relatively tough city, as many people can just rent, and never actually get the benefits of living in the city. In some cities, particularly Beijing and Shanghai, it is even more difficult to get a hukou transferred, and often times will include either a large amount of money, or of owning a property and living in it full time for a sustained period of time.

A.2.6.6

The process starts at the city the houkou ( household register) is. ( Not where SO currently lives, unless that is where houkou/household is registered) With the household register in hand, a handwritten statement of her birth record and a handwritten account that she had no police record were obtained from the local officials in her hometown. These had the official red stamps and signatures.

(The police statement said "no record in China" as of July, 1, 2005)

These documents were taken, along with the household register to the notarial office in the larger city. The notarial official reviewed the documents and provided some text for single certificate. It was basically a statement that Ying swore she was never married and bears all responsibility for false statement. This was typed up and signed in front of the notary.

It all went very smoothly at the notary, about 2 hours work, and we were able to pickup the documents 2 days later. We did learn from a previous investigative visit that this notary office requires a color photo for the birth certificate, so were prepared for that. We did remind the notary the English translation required a statement of competence, good thing we did as this jarred the memory " Oh yes, this is for America, they are only ones that require this "

We got 3 complete sets of documents/translations for 1100 RMB.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Alas - the NVC has changed for 'original documents' - so you'll be sending original documents when the petition is at NVC , to the NVC.

Rick - the best time to get the police certificate, now (as opposed to a year ago, since the nvc document gathering process has changed) - is when the petition has been approved.

The NVC process takes anywhere from 1 to 3 months.

You can shorten this time by using James' Shortcuts, over at http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...'s_Shortcut

Good Luck !

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

Have spouse get the police cert just after you get NOA2 letter from USCIS.

She will then take it to the notary office for translation, the notary office can also issue birth cert, and can translate marriage and divorce certs too.

She will then send all these documents along with a with their notary translations along with a DS-230 to you to send into NVC when they request the DS-230.