A Former Consular Officer Speaks Out

I liked the article but find quite a few comments here a bit more negative towards the VO than expected. I think this is one of those jobs which most of us will never really grasp the gravity of; I would think most of us take our job seriously; why not a VO for the most part...

when he said that the I-864 is enforceable but almost impossible to enforce, I thought that is why immigration reform cannot really be done as most of us want... How can we reform something which we cannot even get our arms around.. it's the proverbial greased pig at the county fair!

Anyways, I'd get rid of the K1, as Canada did... The US just may not have the guts to take a hard stand; in the meantime, the sibling rivalry of USCIS and DOS are left to sort out the mess... I'm glad he was fairly candid in many of his comments about this.

To get to Dennis's comment.. not sure I completely understand either:

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, but from reading these last comments, I then have to ask the obvious question: Why? Why would someone's income that is just 125% over the poverty line be a potential red flag? :lol:

The income is just an easy indicator to avoid the public charge issue; which again, the guy admits is enforceable, yet impossible anyways.

To be close to the poverty line suggests you may be more prone to accepting some forms of payment to have the relationship. But stable, full time employment is best picture to present.

Problem is, we see at GUZ that even people with high incomes are questioned.

The article does not talk too much about problems at GUZ... GUZ is just an outlier on some level... too many applicants, too few VOs, inefficiency must exist more than other countries; holding cases in a warehouse is probably a welcomed excuse rather than improving resources; if fraud abounds, then some methods might get employed at one consulate and not another.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because Canada dumped their K-1 doesn't mean America should also IMHO. I filed K-1 for one specific reason, to allow LiWen the opportunity to see first hand what she was getting into. If there would have been another option say like being able to get a tourist visa this century for her I would have done that.

Just because Canada dumped their K-1 doesn't mean America should also IMHO. I filed K-1 for one specific reason, to allow LiWen the opportunity to see first hand what she was getting into. If there would have been another option say like being able to get a tourist visa this century for her I would have done that.

I agree with you, Georgeandli. In fact, I'd like to see the K-1 time period extended to at least 180 days instead of just 90, so both people could have a better opportunity to see if they are compatible. Just because 2 people love each other doesn't automatically mean that they can live with one another...

I think the U.S. generally needs to find a way of reforming the way they do tourist visas as well.

The K-1 process is so long, drawn out, and expensive(not to mention emotionally draining), far too much so for it to be a reasonable "optional visit" to the country, though I certainly understand why people choose to go that route.

That SHOULD be the role of the tourist visa (as visiting "friends" falls under that category); unfortunately the way tourist visas from China are adjudicated, it's a near impossibility in a large number of situations. I think many of us would prefer that opportunity, if getting a tourist visa was actually a reasonable process.

I think the U.S. generally needs to find a way of reforming the way they do tourist visas as well.

The K-1 process is so long, drawn out, and expensive(not to mention emotionally draining), far too much so for it to be a reasonable "optional visit" to the country, though I certainly understand why people choose to go that route.

That SHOULD be the role of the tourist visa (as visiting "friends" falls under that category); unfortunately the way tourist visas from China are adjudicated, it's a near impossibility in a large number of situations. I think many of us would prefer that opportunity, if getting a tourist visa was actually a reasonable process.

Yes, a Tourist visa would work also. It remains to be seen if the approval for those type visas will lighten up also in the near future. Maybe that's not going to happen though if the Chinese and US Navies don't stop having 'incidents' with one another like yesterday...

I agree with you, Georgeandli. In fact, I'd like to see the K-1 time period extended to at least 180 days instead of just 90, so both people could have a better opportunity to see if they are compatible. Just because 2 people love each other doesn't automatically mean that they can live with one another...

yes.. you guys have a valid argument from the applicant perspective, but DOS is concerned about fraud, not martial bliss... from an immigration point of view concerning fraud, I feel the K1 is a bad apple in some regards. Maybe the good news is that the US most likely won't do anything much in regards to reform that affects the available family based visa classifications. It may be that the DOS took matters into their own hands with the tightening of GUZ issued visas...

The long drawn out process is most likely intentional since other countries process China quickly; and the US processes most other countries quickly...

Little doubt of that DavidZ. Look at the volume and staffing. Intentional or not it happens. Just a thought, how would you like to be a VO in Havana when it happens? Lunacy I say. The system is broke. I've got a extra deal on my toolbar right now for the "Green Card Lotto" sponsored by USCIS.