"Never Married before" document notarized 3 times??

In order to get married in China, I had to go to the US embassy ACS office to swear out a statement that I was never married. They notarized it and I took it to the Chinese officials at the office that gave us our marriage certificate in China.

Now I am reading on CFL that for interview at GUZ, or before that, I should have that sworn affidavit sent to US for a Sec. of State of my State to notarize it and sent back here and then get it notarized again at US embassy here. Is that necessary for a CR-1 ??

In order to get married in China, I had to go to the US embassy ACS office to swear out a statement that I was never married. They notarized it and I took it to the Chinese officials at the office that gave us our marriage certificate in China.

Now I am reading on CFL that for interview at GUZ, or before that, I should have that sworn affidavit sent to US for a Sec. of State of my State to notarize it and sent back here and then get it notarized again at US embassy here. Is that necessary for a CR-1 ??

no, it must be either/or.

either you do all of the 'never married ' paperwork in usa

or

you do it in china.

you did it in china.

you are fine.

relax !

no, it must be either/or.

either you do all of the 'never married ' paperwork in usa

or

you do it in china.

you did it in china.

you are fine.

relax !

Yes, what he said.

I was in a different boat. I had two divorces, one in California and one in Oregon, but at the time I lived in Texas. The Consulate in Houston could not certify documents from either state and the one in San Francisco would not issue any documents for anyone living in Texas. I called the Consulate in Houston, to find out how I could get everything ok'ed.

I talked to a lady (at the Consulate) and she asked me if I was ever married or divorced in Texas, I told her no, so she said to just do a notarized statement I was never married in the State of Texas, get an Apostitille from the Texas Secretary of State and send it to them. I did and I got everything was approved with no problem. The Chinese marriage office will translate and keep the notarized statement and the Embassy certification/Apostille.

The only documents you will need for a CR-1 will be COPIES (DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS (for a CR-1 you don't need any documents notarized, just the ability to send originals if requested)) of all the pages of the red marriage book, registration book, divorce decrees, birth certificates (hers and any children) and translations of these documents. For you, if you were never married, you won't need any sworn statement that you are single. All the INS/DOS needs is a copy and/or translation of your marriage certificate (which you should already submitted with her information) and copies of any divorce decrees you might have, if you are single, you don't need it.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)

I've had 2 divorces two. The first in 1981, the second one in 2003. I'm not going to need the first divorce decree when I go to the US consulate in Shenyang for my free to marry certificate next week, am I?

tsap seui

I've had 2 divorces two. The first in 1981, the second one in 2003. I'm not going to need the first divorce decree when I go to the US consulate in Shenyang for my free to marry certificate next week, am I?

tsap seui

MAYBE. If it's within driving distance, I recommend you go to that county courthouse on the first one, get a certified copy. If it's not, then call the county clerk (for that county), explain yer need for speed, arrange for fax and real-time credit card payment (or electronic check) - some will do it, some won't. If it's too far away, you gots a buddy in that town that can do it today? (then drop it into usps next day letter delivery)

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

tsap seui

MAYBE. If it's within driving distance, I recommend you go to that county courthouse on the first one, get a certified copy. If it's not, then call the county clerk (for that county), explain yer need for speed, arrange for fax and real-time credit card payment (or electronic check) - some will do it, some won't. If it's too far away, you gots a buddy in that town that can do it today? (then drop it into usps next day letter delivery)

Thanks Sebastion. I've just got 2 more certified copies of my 2003 divorce and I found a copy of the 1981 divorce so I should be ready. I'm just gonna read back over David Z's FAQ's to refresh myself on the whole marriage process. Lil' rabbit went to Shenyang yesterday to talk to the Chinese officials about what she needed and what they wanted from us. Looks like smooth sailing and we'll get the marriage time clock started for the IR-1 in 2011.

Pretty exciting.

tsap seui

You need certified copies of your divorce decrees.

persons who have previously been married need to show a certified divorce decree

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/chengdu/cons/mrginfo.html

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/in...d_in_china.html

I know of a guy who brought my wife's best friend to the US on a K1. He had obtained the certificate of marriageability from the Guangzhou consulate. Luckily for her, two thieves on a motorbike swiped her purse on Shamian Island so they ended up doing a K1 instead. He provided his divorce certificate from his 1st marriage but somehow he forgot (neglected) to mention, when he filed for the certificate of marriageability and when he filled out the I-130 and I-129F, the fact that he had a CURRENT wife in Los Angeles. She's back in China and he's been reported to ICE (apparently of no consequence).