I-864 and Police certifs questions

I'm new to forum and don't know what all the abbreviations mean, any help??

My wife and I married this summer in China. Got an approved I-130 notice from Beijing USCIS along with first packet to send in to GUZ: which was a form 169, DS-230 part 1, and an I-864. Do I send the I-864 along at this time with 230 and 169 - the instructions seem to say send only 230 and 169 and completed mailing label, but they sent a I-864 along to me ??

Also, Does the police certificate need to be from her hometown, ie (ID registration number place) ONLY, or, as I am understanding it from the instructions in first packet - from every place she has lived longer than 6 months since being 16 yrs old??

Also, if she lived in a big city like Beijing but in different areas in the city for different lengths, can one police office give her a certificate covering the entire city for that entire period?

My wife and I married this summer in China. Got an approved I-130 notice from Beijing USCIS along with first packet to send in to GUZ: which was a form 169, DS-230 part 1, and an I-864. Do I send the I-864 along at this time with 230 and 169 - the instructions seem to say send only 230 and 169 and completed mailing label, but they sent a I-864 along to me ??

Also, Does the police certificate need to be from her hometown, ie (ID registration number place) ONLY, or, as I am understanding it from the instructions in first packet - from every place she has lived longer than 6 months since being 16 yrs old??

Also, if she lived in a big city like Beijing but in different areas in the city for different lengths, can one police office give her a certificate covering the entire city for that entire period?

Duke welcome. I would suggest that you take some time and go over the pinned sections that outline in great detail the steps, required documentation, timing, and the general outline for interviews etc.

Generally, you do not send the I864 - it goes to the interview with your wife. (I also assume your wife has only lived in Mainland CHina) She needs to get 1 Police certificate - and it needs to be from her Hokou PSB. The general view is the Police reports are by country - and all the Police are linked together with the Hokou location being the responsible reporting agency.

Best of luck in the process.

Duke welcome. I would suggest that you take some time and go over the pinned sections that outline in great detail the steps, required documentation, timing, and the general outline for interviews etc.

Generally, you do not send the I864 - it goes to the interview with your wife. (I also assume your wife has only lived in Mainland CHina) She needs to get 1 Police certificate - and it needs to be from her Hokou PSB. The general view is the Police reports are by country - and all the Police are linked together with the Hokou location being the responsible reporting agency.

Best of luck in the process.

Thank you, Yes, she's lived only in China. So, Police certs Only from the Hokou- even though the Instructions in the from 169 AND the DS-230 instructions on two US State dept web sites say to get Police Certs from from every place in her native counrty she has lived longer than 6 months since being 16 yrs old including her current residence??

To anyone self employed who knows this question-- the I-864 instructions say I need a copy of most recent income tax form (which I have handy), and a copy of each and every 1099 misc income form, and a schedule C, since I'm self employed. I don't have any 1099's with me since I'm in China and will be until she gets a visa. Do I really need these 1099's sshowing who paid what to me?? (Many times the clients don't file them and don't have to, if under $600 USD. Many of these small clients make up much of my income.)

Also, what are the "pinned sections"?

Thanks,

Duke

Thank you, Yes, she's lived only in China. So, Police certs Only from the Hokou- even though the Instructions in the from 169 AND the DS-230 instructions on two US State dept web sites say to get Police Certs from from every place in her native counrty she has lived longer than 6 months since being 16 yrs old including her current residence??

To anyone self employed who knows this question-- the I-864 instructions say I need a copy of most recent income tax form (which I have handy), and a copy of each and every 1099 misc income form, and a schedule C, since I'm self employed. I don't have any 1099's with me since I'm in China and will be until she gets a visa. Do I really need these 1099's sshowing who paid what to me?? (Many times the clients don't file them and don't have to, if under $600 USD. Many of these small clients make up much of my income.)

Thanks,

Duke

In China there is only One police cert, you get it from public safety department with jurisdiction over residence, this cert covers all of China. In this case "Place" = Country.

The I-864 will be a sticking point, US Citizen Petitioner MUST provide an I-864, and I-864 REQUIRES US Domicile and IRS returns.

Since you have been living in China you will need to attache evidence of US Domicile (Copy of valid US Drivers license, evidence of a US bank account, evidence of a home in the USA).

Many doing DCF filing in China get a Joint sponsor that is living in the USA.

MORE: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Thanks,

Duke

Start here with the CFL EZ FAQ's http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...Index_New2.html

Since Mike and David said that I just bring the I-864 to the interview, what about the I-864 processing fee that I've read about?? When does that get paid and is that different from the $455 fee paid before the interview?

Duke

The $70 I-864 fee is paid to NVC only if you filed the I-130 to USCIS in the USA.

"Pinned" refers to the posts that are locked at the top of a forum:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1 (The 3 topics at the top of the list are pinned)

is safe to assume you are filing DCF (direct consular filing) or did you start your filings to the lockbox address in chicago?

if you sent all to the lockbox in chicago, then have a read on James' Shortcuts at http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...'s_Shortcut

If you are DCF with I-130 - just remember that you have to prove up your income for the I-864. Since you are self employed and don't have many 1099s, you'll need to provide the schedule C as your primary proof of income. So even if you don't have income tax returns, you can prepare them (easily) even whilst in China. If tax prep is an issue, then you might wanna contact an accounting buddy in your usa city, and engage this person to assist you with collecting the data and filing taxes.

The I-864 also allows for assets, and cash in the bank - but you may want to prepare a quick 'income/expenses' statement for TY 2008 - something an accountant would prepare prior to transposing the data to yer tax returns.

IMO - if you don't supply the 1099's, then you'll want to provide a one page statement with the I-864, stating that 1099's were not generated by your clients.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

is safe to assume you are filing DCF (direct consular filing) or did you start your filings to the lockbox address in chicago?

if you sent all to the lockbox in chicago, then have a read on James' Shortcuts at http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/...'s_Shortcut

If you are DCF with I-130 - just remember that you have to prove up your income for the I-864. Since you are self employed and don't have many 1099s, you'll need to provide the schedule C as your primary proof of income. So even if you don't have income tax returns, you can prepare them (easily) even whilst in China. If tax prep is an issue, then you might wanna contact an accounting buddy in your usa city, and engage this person to assist you with collecting the data and filing taxes.

The I-864 also allows for assets, and cash in the bank - but you may want to prepare a quick 'income/expenses' statement for TY 2008 - something an accountant would prepare prior to transposing the data to yer tax returns.

IMO - if you don't supply the 1099's, then you'll want to provide a one page statement with the I-864, stating that 1099's were not generated by your clients.

The OP filed through Beijing, (DCF)

My wife and I married this summer in China. Got an approved I-130 notice from Beijing USCIS along with first packet to send in to GUZ: which was a form 169, DS-230 part 1, and an I-864.

I'm not sure what the process is for DCF, but I have seen it mentioned here and elsewhere that the I-864 needs to be taken to the interview. Maybe it's different for DCF, but unless I'm missing something, the NVC Website states:

9. Mail the form and any required supporting documents to the NVC. Be sure to include the bar code sheet for the applicant¡¯s case.

I'm hoping I didn't screw up since I already sent mine in... but with that being said... I'll also be sure to bring a copy to the interview. Also, FWIW, I have not yet sent in my SO's DS-230 (pt.1 & 2) or Police Report. My understanding is that there are two separate paths, one for your I-864 and another for your SO's documents... and that yours and hers are submitted independently. Again, I am CR-1... maybe it's different for DCF.

Hopefully someone can clarify this... thanks!

shadowman - ya - 'stateside' is totally different - there's a whole 'nvc' process that collects original documents plus some forms (the I-864 being one of them). All of this stuff gets sent off to GUZ from the NVC.

Duke is doing a DCF, so the process flow is different.

I-864 collection will happen in china, but i can't remember if it's mailed in or collected in person at GUZ - I'm leaning towards 'collected in person' but I could be dead wrong, too.

shadowman - ya - 'stateside' is totally different - there's a whole 'nvc' process that collects original documents plus some forms (the I-864 being one of them). All of this stuff gets sent off to GUZ from the NVC.

I-864 collection will happen in china, but i can't remember if it's mailed in or collected in person at GUZ - I'm leaning towards 'collected in person' but I could be dead wrong, too.

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for clearing this up... I've been wondering about this for a while.

As for Duke, he started another thread "Evolution of Relationship Letter" where he says he's "applying for a CR-1 Visa".

So, Duke... if you're CR-1, I'm thinking you should send your I-864 to NVC.

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for clearing this up... I've been wondering about this for a while.

As for Duke, he started another thread "Evolution of Relationship Letter" where he says he's "applying for a CR-1 Visa".

So, Duke... if you're CR-1, I'm thinking you should send your I-864 to NVC.

Ah, such language. I remember when I was first doing da research, these things would trip me up. I-130/CR-1/IR-1/DCF/NVC etc etc. I got confused early on, so I started making paper notes on old greenbar paper, then later tack it up on the wall for visual study.. I like greenbar paper, but I digress...

my puir wee brain sorta remembers that..:

a CR-1 is a type o 'green card type' that can get granted by filling out an I-130.

an IR-1 is another type of 'green card type' that can get granted by filling out an I-130.

DCF, Direct Consular Filing, of an I-130 - could get either type granted, depending on age of marriage... But - The NVC doesn't get involved with a DCF, is all handled in China.