Help??? Going to China soon to see my beloved

Where to begin?

Ok so I went through the first 7 or 8 pages in the forum did not see a topic helpful. So I'm from California and I would like to know what are my best options for my sweetheart to join me in USA.

1. Getting a K-1 visa and coming to the states?

2. Getting documents in USA and going to China and get married?

Seems like option #2 is very convoluted. I understand the Affidavit of Single or Divorced Status. But do I have to get it notarized and also validated throught the California Secretary of State? Also with my divorce papers do I get them translated in the States or in China?

Sorry for questions but I am trying to get things for both options collected so I can basically go either way. But I would appreciate any advice or help so that I get everything I need for my trip to China just in case. Any advice on number of copies to bring would also be nice to know. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sincerely,

Troyg

Edited by Troy (see edit history)
Where to begin?

Ok so I went through the first 7 or 8 pages in the forum did not see a topic helpful. So I'm from California and I would like to know what are my best options for my sweetheart to join me in USA.

Seems like option #2 is very convoluted. I understand the Affidavit of Single or Divorced Status. But do I have to get it notarized and also validated throught the California Secretary of State? Also with my divorce papers do I get them translated in the States or in China?

Sorry for questions but I am trying to get things for both options collected so I can basically go either way. But I would appreciate any advice or help so that I get everything I need for my trip to China just in case. Any advice on number of copies to bring would also be nice to know. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Sincerely,

Troyg

There are some post tracking the time for each. I think that the K1 is a little faster right now. If you have a normal case and things look okay from your end it might be faster, but every case is unique. Some times you must take into account family and other considerations.

Where to begin?

Sincerely,

Troyg

You only need to go to an USA Consulate in China and get a notarized Marriability Certificate. You can then have this translated into Chinese at the Chinese Nortorial office. To get the certificate from Consulate you should have a notarized copy of your divorcee decree. When you get married the Chinese Foriegn Affairs office will only want to see the notarized copy. You do not need to get the divorce decree translated.

Marrying in China is very simple. The USA Consulate website for Guangzhou has a very helpful section about marriarge in China.

However I am living and working in China for now so it made sense to marry here.

The decision as to whether to go K-1, K-3 or CR-1 is a highly personal one. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. From a how can I get her here the fastest. K-1 usually wins. It also has the advantage of less paperwork and fees up front as well as being able to get a Social Security number and work. For some folks being married gives them more of a sense of commitment and often gives her family more security. Should you decide to marry you have the choice of CR-1 or K-3. K-3 generally gets her here a little faster but there is additional expense and she won't be able to get a SSN or work without getting an EAD. CR-1 is the best of all visas but also the longest one to get. The fees from beginning to end are about the same as K-1 but as soon as she enters the country she is a permanent resident and no adjustment of status is necessary. Her green card will come automatically in about a month after she arrives at the POE. If you happen to have been married for two years when she goes through the POE she will get a permanent green card with no conditions. Otherwise she will need to file to remove conditions on her greencard within 90 days prior to the expiration date of her green card. Good luck.

The decision as to whether to go K-1, K-3 or CR-1 is a highly personal one. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. From a how can I get her here the fastest. K-1 usually wins. It also has the advantage of less paperwork and fees up front as well as being able to get a Social Security number and work. For some folks being married gives them more of a sense of commitment and often gives her family more security. Should you decide to marry you have the choice of CR-1 or K-3. K-3 generally gets her here a little faster but there is additional expense and she won't be able to get a SSN or work without getting an EAD. CR-1 is the best of all visas but also the longest one to get. The fees from beginning to end are about the same as K-1 but as soon as she enters the country she is a permanent resident and no adjustment of status is necessary. Her green card will come automatically in about a month after she arrives at the POE. If you happen to have been married for two years when she goes through the POE she will get a permanent green card with no conditions. Otherwise she will need to file to remove conditions on her greencard within 90 days prior to the expiration date of her green card. Good luck.

No way I could say it better.

Based on that criteria, we went for the K1.

Troy and all inhabitants of Achaea fly

To that land of immortal battle cry

Paris of wonton body and mind

saw Helen, whose body did fully blind

Marry in Sparta seemed the honorable way

Yet, carry to Troy for a concubine play

Seemed convoluted is the land afar

Much better bring hither is bliss by far

Behold a barrier of gates not seen

The soldiers of GUZ thus march pristine

Where Interview questions of calculated queue

bring forth denials of incomprehensible due