Phelps apologizes to Chinese fans

Charged with what? A photograph? What can be proven with that?

possession and use, Oscar. The cops raided the place, caught him red-handed, along with the rest of that 'entourage'.
Oh, didn't know Phelps was arrested with possession. If that's the case then he should do the same penalty as anyone else for that. I thought he was identified in a picture, not arrested or caught red-handed.
Okay, I looked. He was not caught red-handed or arrested. Maybe you are thinking of when he was arrested for a DUI in 2004? So all they have is a picture of him. The rest is physically circumstantial. I'm not a big "throw pot smokers in jail" person, we have enough in our jails already. He got convicted and is paying for his "crime" in his own way now, sponsors and competition.

Charged with what? A photograph? What can be proven with that?

possession and use, Oscar. The cops raided the place, caught him red-handed, along with the rest of that 'entourage'.
Oh, didn't know Phelps was arrested with possession. If that's the case then he should do the same penalty as anyone else for that. I thought he was identified in a picture, not arrested or caught red-handed.

. . .

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It's still PR control... he's losing endorsements.. which means losing millions... he wasn't sorry at the time of the picture and he's likely only sorry to be caught... as is the case with most guys who apologize after being caught; aka; baseball.

I just think it's lame all around... the really funny thing to me was, it was very predictable that a supportive group(s) would come out after it became public and now they act all surprised like this news. how can something you predict really be newsworthy... oh well.. he's trying to secure his millions. If he were to donate part of his endorsement milllions to the chinese, then he would be showing some action worthy of reading...

It's still PR control... he's losing endorsements.. which means losing millions... he wasn't sorry at the time of the picture and he's likely only sorry to be caught... as is the case with most guys who apologize after being caught; aka; baseball.

I just think it's lame all around... the really funny thing to me was, it was very predictable that a supportive group(s) would come out after it became public and now they act all surprised like this news. how can something you predict really be newsworthy... oh well.. he's trying to secure his millions. If he were to donate part of his endorsement milllions to the chinese, then he would be showing some action worthy of reading...

Actually he is probably not sorry at all. He is young, having a good time, on top of his career and was at a party.

He only is doing to "I'm sorry" PR because in a PC world you have to. They have a picture of him at a party with an empty bong. What did he actually do? Most likely he took some hits but no one can prove it nor does it affect ANYONE but himself. If your kids or orther do bong hits because you saw Phelps do it then they have a lot of other issues to address.

You can't compare him to the baseball players who took performance enhancing drugs. To my little knowledge I do not think bong hits will make him swim faster.

"If he were to donate part of his endorsement milllions to the chinese, then he would be showing some action worthy of reading..." --- AGREED. Also be nice if CCTV, other baseball players, Ted Kennedy, etc. would do the same instead of just saying I am sorry.

Ya, like I said - this is a PR fix, his PR firm is handling it. I'm not so certain of how much Phelps official merchandise he receives royalties on, in China, but surely this can't hurt his sales o product, right?

the Phelps case provides a wonderful platform to call for the legalization of marijuana (and all drugs). Check your 401k. We're broke. Obama's cabinet nominees are cheating on their taxes.

We're wasting billions of dollars locking up and providing "free" health care to drug offenders. The government needs to take control of the mega-billion-dollar drug industry and use a portion of the money for rehabilitation facilities and the rest to help get us out of debt.

If Michael Phelps just can't say no, why would we expect kids with far more depressing circumstances to avoid getting high?

I'm sure many of you are reading this right now after having a legal drink and popping a legal prescription drug and you just don't understand why poor people don't go to the doctor and get a script for Xanax, Lexapro or Prozac.

The beauty is, if things keep going the way they are, these middle-class and wealthy hypocrites will soon be poor and they'll have intimate knowledge of why many poor people self-medicate with marijuana and other drugs.

From Jason Whitlock's article. See here. I say "hear ya bro".

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/91834...ard-over-Phelps

Oscar, I view it as 'damage control' by Phelps' Public Relations Hack. They're doing their job.

Hopefully, he'll get charged and have to do some jail time.

Why should he go to jail? Based on a photo of alleged dope?

Exactly.

In most states getting caught red-handed with a small amount and even smoking it doesn't get you jail time. Just gets you relieved of your dope and presented with a fine.

A photo of a random guy with a bong in his mouth wouldn't even get a 2 second glance from an average police officer. If Phelps were charged based on that it would be the pinnacle of hypocracy. Regardless of someone's personal feelings on pot use.

And I normally feel law enforcement goes too easy on many celebrities... but that doesn't excuse the opposite extreme being applied here.

Edited by Jeikun (see edit history)
Oscar, I view it as 'damage control' by Phelps' Public Relations Hack. They're doing their job.

Hopefully, he'll get charged and have to do some jail time.

Why should he go to jail? Based on a photo of alleged dope?

Exactly.

In most states getting caught red-handed with a small amount and even smoking it doesn't get you jail time. Just gets you relieved of your dope and presented with a fine.

A photo of a random guy with a bong in his mouth wouldn't even get a 2 second glance from an average police officer. If Phelps were charged based on that it would be the pinnacle of hypocracy. Regardless of someone's personal feelings on pot use.

And I normally feel law enforcement goes too easy on many celebrities... but that doesn't excuse the opposite extreme being applied here.

I agree. B)

Ya, like I said - this is a PR fix, his PR firm is handling it. I'm not so certain of how much Phelps official merchandise he receives royalties on, in China, but surely this can't hurt his sales o product, right?

Tell me, you aren't a cynic...are you? :angry:

No, not at all. He needed to make that gesture to keep the 'officially licensed Phelps Gear' sales figure up. Without it, I'm sense it'd drop through the roof, as parents wouldn't want to buy their ONLY CHILD a phelps logo'd swim trunk because of the PERCEPTION that he's taking illegal drugs.

PR Firms (Public Relations) are great for spin control, with the right person or people doing the spinning.