Phelps apologizes to Chinese fans

Phelps apologizes to Chinese fans

To my Chinese friends,

As many of you know, I recently engaged in behavior which was regrettable and not what people have come to expect from me.

The past few days have been tough for me, but I've received support and encouragement online from so many Chinese friends.

I will learn from these mistakes, train hard, and make you proud again.

To the young people of China, please learn a lesson from this. Be positive in life, and do the right things.

I've had so many great experiences in China over the past few years, and have enjoyed learning about your culture and your history.

But it's the warmth and forgiveness in the messages I've received from China that has really lifted me up over the past few days.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement. I look forward to returning to China soon.

(CCTV February 12, 2009)

Watch the video:

http://www.china.org.cn/video/2009-02/12/c...nt_17264325.htm

:Dah: yea.. the chinese are known for their historical dependence on [false] promises and words spoken [without action] :D

another clueless westerner trying to swim the eastern waters

LOL .. CCTV management must also be a clueless westerner trying to swim the eastern waters.

http://english.sina.com/china/2009/0210/217271.html

In a statement on its website www.cctv.com, the broadcaster said it "feels sorrowful for the great loss that the fire inflicted on national assets. CCTV sincerely apologizes for the traffic congestion and inconvenience that affect residents nearby"

Forgot the firefighter unless he is one of the national assets they refer to.

didn't realize I'd have to explain my joke...

The topic was about an american swimmer named Phelps who won some medals swimming in the olympics in china... There is west and east in it.

I then made a metaphor of apologizes to swimming....

The CCTV comparison is neither across countries nor used in a metaphor punch line...

Maybe we can say that CCTV is playing with fire it cannot handle correctly.. but then we'd be moving more off topic :Dah:

didn't realize I'd have to explain my joke...

The topic was about an american swimmer named Phelps who won some medals swimming in the olympics in china... There is west and east in it.

I then made a metaphor of apologizes to swimming....

The CCTV comparison is neither across countries nor used in a metaphor punch line...

Maybe we can say that CCTV is playing with fire it cannot handle correctly.. but then we'd be moving more off topic ;)

I assumed you meant that Phelps was a clueless western person who did not understand eastern culture by saying he was sorry, blah blah blah and promised to do better.

I only pointed out that CCTV apology was as useless as Phelps.

I know who Phelps is but thanks for explaining the "joke."

Oscar, I view it as 'damage control' by Phelps' Public Relations Hack. They're doing their job.

Hopefully, he'll get charged and have to do some jail time.

I'm missing the relevance of the topic. :blink:
Stoner ... :smoker:
:lol: donahso or Phelps? :lol:

What the recordsetting swimmer did was incredibly stupid, as were the people who took his picture (eight are under arrest when the cops raided their house and they all had pot), but the tone of the letter is nice.

He's baaaaack :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Charged with what? A photograph? What can be proven with that?

possession and use, Oscar. The cops raided the place, so lets see what happens after they've examined the stuff they collected.

FWIW, I'm adamantly anti-marijuana usage, but pro-repeal-the-law - I wanna see hemp restored as a renewable paper source.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

Charged with what? A photograph? What can be proven with that?

possession and use, Oscar. The cops raided the place, caught him red-handed, along with the rest of that 'entourage'.
Oh, didn't know Phelps was arrested with possession. If that's the case then he should do the same penalty as anyone else for that. I thought he was identified in a picture, not arrested or caught red-handed.

O - nah - he wasn't caught red handed, there's only 'that picture'. The cops raided the place weeks after the photo was taken, near as I can tell. I made an edit on my reply.