Gah!! I forgot she would need a passport!!

Damn!! It never crossed my mind!! I have our P2 ready to mail out to NVC and that's the one thing I am missing. I just called her and she doesn't have one :P :) :) :P Anyone have any idea of what the process is for a Chinese national is to get a passport and how long it takes? Is it going to cause her any problems at work if her boss finds out she's getting a passport? I hate to see her lose her job, one of us needs to work ;)

Theoretically it should not be too much of a problem, but like many things in China, theory and practice are not always the same. For Li, it was not such an easy task. She had to have approval by several levels of bureaucrats, officials, etc and we had to pay bribes at every step of the way. Keep in mind, however, that this was way back in 2000 and things have changed a lot since then.

As for her boss, it should not be a problem unless, of course, he wants it to be a problem. Like I said, I think things may be a lot smoother now. Back in the old days, it was an expensive proposition due to the palm greasing.

My fiancee went to her hometown and got hers in a weeks time it cost about the same as a us passport you might want her to get extra pics too we had to get more later then they were the wrong size when she sent them to me they have to be 2 by 2 in the passport is not too hard so long as there is nothing interesting ...ie ...party member, military...ect luckily we didnt have to deal with these issues my fiancee has no ties to anything like that

good luck

that was one of the first things i had her do to make sure it would not be a problem and it wasnt any problem at all, however she is living in guangzhou but is from fujian so she had to go back to fujian to get it ...it worked out and gave her an excuse to go to a friends wedding that she otherwise would have missed...

Edited by areynolds (see edit history)

not a bit problem. It has nothing to do with the boss. She doesn't need the boss approval. All she needs is to use her free time and go to the right place with 200RMB. That's it! Don't worry!

Damn!! It never crossed my mind!! I have our P2 ready to mail out to NVC and that's the one thing I am missing. I just called her and she doesn't have one ;) :angel: :huh: :( Anyone have any idea of what the process is for a Chinese national is to get a passport and how long it takes? Is it going to cause her any problems at work if her boss finds out she's getting a passport? I hate to see her lose her job, one of us needs to work ;)

Good news! She has a passport and I have a scanned copy of it now. I'm off to the post office!

haha, this was an interesting problem -- I'm glad you were able to solve it so quickly...

kaifeng is a beautiful place, by the way! lots of lights that really emphasize the interesting shapes of the buildings... did you get to eat their baozi when you were there?

Good news! She has a passport and I have a scanned copy of it now. I'm off to the post office!

haha, this was an interesting problem -- I'm glad you were able to solve it so quickly...

kaifeng is a beautiful place, by the way! lots of lights that really emphasize the interesting shapes of the buildings... did you get to eat their baozi when you were there?

Kaifeng is my favorite city in China so far! Partly it's because I have so many good friends there, but it is a beautiful city that is easy to get around in and full of friendly people. I have had baozi many times. It ranges form very good to "ehhhh" depending on where you get it!

Kaifeng is my favorite city in China so far! Partly it's because I have so many good friends there, but it is a beautiful city that is easy to get around in and full of friendly people. I have had baozi many times. It ranges form very good to "ehhhh" depending on where you get it!

Nice, I've only been to Kaifeng once but I was really impressed with the atmosphere. My fiancee is also from Henan, but the city she's from is Nanyang. So it's probably no surprise that my favorite city in China is Nanyang, although all the cities in Henan seem to have their own unique flavor. Go Henan!

Nice, I've only been to Kaifeng once but I was really impressed with the atmosphere. My fiancee is also from Henan, but the city she's from is Nanyang. So it's probably no surprise that my favorite city in China is Nanyang, although all the cities in Henan seem to have their own unique flavor. Go Henan!

Is that the Kaifeng that was China's capitol 1000 years ago, end of the silk route and had both a Mosque and a Synagogue for the families trading from the middle east? If it is, it is one of the places I wanted to see.

Is that the Kaifeng that was China's capitol 1000 years ago, end of the silk route and had both a Mosque and a Synagogue for the families trading from the middle east? If it is, it is one of the places I wanted to see.

That's the place!! There are so many historical sites to see in Henan! I spent 3 weeks there last summer and didn't see everything in Kaifeng let along some of the other great places like Louyang. Of course, I was a little busy spending time with my sweetie! :D

That's the place!! There are so many historical sites to see in Henan! I spent 3 weeks there last summer and didn't see everything in Kaifeng let along some of the other great places like Louyang. Of course, I was a little busy spending time with my sweetie! :romantic:

And don't forget shaolin temple, which is nearby as well.

This thread is making me more and more excited that I'll get to visit Henan again very soon (after my fiancee's interview on March 10)!

That's the place!! There are so many historical sites to see in Henan! I spent 3 weeks there last summer and didn't see everything in Kaifeng let along some of the other great places like Louyang. Of course, I was a little busy spending time with my sweetie! :lol:

And don't forget shaolin temple, which is nearby as well.

This thread is making me more and more excited that I'll get to visit Henan again very soon (after my fiancee's interview on March 10)!

March 10!! I wish you the the best of luck!!

Glad to hear she now has the passport. I am also glad so many people revealed how in their cases it was easy to obtain. Believe me, this is a major change from how it used to be.

As I mentioned, back in 2000 we had to grease palms at every step of the way and, in the case of the head of her work unit, had to pay him off twice and he still didn't want to give his permission. Back then, the boss had to sign off on it, at least in Anhui Province, which by all accounts is very conservative.

Lest you think our case was unusual, back in those days it was common. I knew another couple, they were in Jiangsu, that ended up spending in excess of 18,000 RMB, just to get a passport. The passport fee itself was around 150 RMB. The remainder of the 18K was in corruption fees.

We also had to pay a fairly stiff "fee" to obtain a police report, well in excess of 5,000 RMB.

Count you blessings my friends. Things have changed.

In our case, after we finally got through dealing with the Chinese side of things, we then had to deal with the U.S. side of things. Filed for visa in Sept. 2001, picked it up in spring of 2003. The original Black Hole.