lets talk and share

Guest jin979

maybe I missed something... in four pages of the article, I didn't find a book title being sold :huh:

Second sentence in the article:

Her books, including the best-selling "When Things Fall Apart" and "The Places That Scare You"

My point was that she's not just some monk sitting in a monestary minding her own business practicing her beliefs. Someone's making money off her "teachings." :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been down this road so many time before and no one has changed their minds and no matter what each one says each will still retain their own original thoughts and beliefs. Usually these thread are closed or deleted.

Larry

truer words have not been spoken...

except maybe for the proverb: Like a dog that returns to its vomit...

Can't teach an old dog new tricks :huh:

She's selling books. That's what pretty much all that stuff is about anyway. Seems pretty useless.

all books sell David, all useless ? Marx's, Plato, Pain, Confucius, Jesus (bible), Toplaw, Helen kella, dhala Lama etc ...

but lets concentrate on message not delivery :huh:

Ok ... her message is "buy my book to help you be more happy". There are many ways to happiness but utilmately you have to make yourself happy. The book or her "way" will not do it for you.

has anyone who posted actually read the article?

Two mention her "books".. yet this is editorial prior to the interview proper... do most stop at the editorial and make inference from that?

It has little to do selling any books... and less about a cure towards happiness. I read about accepting pain and finding a way to accept it as a real part of reality. "Life if life; reality is reality"-- a chinese lady once said this to me.

Maybe the acceptance of pain as a real part of life is not something that most want to discuss or accept?

Buy all of Joseph Campbell's books. Especially these:

The Hero with a Thousand Faces

The Masks of God: Primitive Mythology

The Masks of God: Occidental Mythology

The Masks of God: Oriental Mythology

The Masks of God: Creative Mythology

The Mythic Image

Read and study these for several years.

Then you will feel like you have a good background.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/Physical-H...oward-Pain.aspx

I believe this approach is the best for all

Thanks Jin it was a good article. It did not really stress one way or one belief, it stress living in your pain and not avoiding. The avoidance of pain causes the cycle of pain. I imagine many additions and medications is the avoidance of pain. Living thru it and knowing it is okay and you will live; just accepting that we will have pain and sort of move on. Plus, as David and the article said that she does not use the Buddhist language, so a Christian or other faith could use her thoughts to learn how to pray better. Pray is opening yourself to God. Buddhist call it meditation or atheist can call it thinking. This article can be used in all cases. Just leave yourself open to experience pain and to continue.

Maybe the acceptance of pain as a real part of life is not something that most want to discuss or accept?

You know what us Hedonist believe, David.

Chose what is pleasure, avoid what is pain. :D

OK, seriously, pain is a part of life. If you accept life, you must accept that pain is part of it...an unavoidable part of it.

No, I didn't read the article, so I am not critiquing it here. If that (article's) philosophy works for Jin or anyone that's great. I mean, REALLY, that is great. I too don't see a need for cynicism towards what Jin post. But trying to start a thread about it may just be biting off more than can be chewed. Like Larry said... Why bother when you know where it will go? :Dah:

has anyone who posted actually read the article?

Two mention her "books".. yet this is editorial prior to the interview proper... do most stop at the editorial and make inference from that?

It has little to do selling any books... and less about a cure towards happiness. I read about accepting pain and finding a way to accept it as a real part of reality. "Life if life; reality is reality"-- a chinese lady once said this to me.

I read it. accepting pain is part of life...it is called experience. It is about happiness...that to find real happiness you need to accept life and its problems, etc. Sure..everyone knows that. She chooses to do it through mediation, breathing and moving into the Lama foundation while leaving her kids. To each her own.

You know what us Hedonist believe, David.

Chose what is pleasure, avoid what is pain. :D

OK, seriously, pain is a part of life. If you accept life, you must accept that pain is part of it...an unavoidable part of it.

No, I didn't read the article, so I am not critiquing it here. If that (article's) philosophy works for Jin or anyone that's great. I mean, REALLY, that is great. I too don't see a need for cynicism towards what Jin post. But trying to start a thread about it may just be biting off more than can be chewed. Like Larry said... Why bother when you know where it will go? :D

For once your serious and silly and spot on ! :Dah: :P (Dare I say you exhibit the three "S" B) )

I cannot tell you how many chinese I have heard say the basic premise that, "you cannot change life; you can only change yourself"... it's time we let them know that such ideas are typically an affront to the evolution of individualistic western men... we won't change no matter how much good it might result in :D

i agree... there is no chance that such a post will change anyone... so, does that mean that it's a topic incapable of discussion too?

I cannot tell you how many chinese I have heard say the basic premise that, "you cannot change life; you can only change yourself"... it's time we let them know that such ideas are typically an affront to the evolution of individualistic western men... we won't change no matter how much good it might result in :Dah:

I just had to come back and highlight what you wrote. I never really thought about it... really, quite poignant.

Anyways, I looked into buddhism for a while but found it too structured for me; too much like a religion but that is the very reason it is probably most appealing to the west. (I prefer the detachment of zen or the unstructuredness of daoism much more).

I think you left out a word David. You looked into buddhism but you prefer buddhism (zen). Was it some other particular form you looked into or are you contrasting all other forms to zen?