Confusion Over TB Testing

So what is the consensus here? Is TB test required or not? Does the CS have to fill out I-693, part 2, section 2(A)? Can the CS issue a x-ray report or does it have to be done by a radiologist? Thanks.

A TB skin test should be done. Most CS's require it for part 2, sec. 2A. It's a simple test, no big deal. To my knowledge, no x-ray report was done when my wife went to the CS. The CS only wanted proof of the 3 shots and a TB skin test report and that was it.

For further information call any local CS office, in fact, shop around for the best priced one or one that suits you best. Call your local county/city health department also and ask questions. Health departments can give you the needed shots for a fee. Check around and good luck!

Guest Pommey

So what is the consensus here? Is TB test required or not? Does the CS have to fill out I-693, part 2, section 2(A)? Can the CS issue a x-ray report or does it have to be done by a radiologist? Thanks.

TB skin test has been required since the middle of last year, GUZ X-ray will not do as before.

strangely if you fail the skin test then they (cs) will do a xray.

The problem with the PPD (skin test) is that if you have had a BCG (TB vaccination) then you could have a false positive result. Therefore requiring a follow up xray.

As to whether GUZ medical is doing this skin test I have no Idea, members with medicals since sept of last year could look in their medical book to confirm or deny this.

This confusion over TB testing raised its head during my wife's "permanent residence" interview at USCIS.

short story:

Wife grew up in a major city. Had standard vac. shots as a child.

As my fiancee on a K1 visa she went to Guangzhou to the hospital for the required medical exam. During that visit in 2006 she was given her x-ray tube and a "required injection" for protection against TB.

She arrived in America, we got married, and we did the paperwork for AOS. This includes the fun visit to a USCIS civil surgeon. The doctor said the new (in 2007 requirements) required her to get *another* a "required injection" for protection against TB.

They somehow lost paperwork and we got denied. When we re-filed the USCIS civil surgeon told us she had to get the "required injection" again.

During the interview, the interviewer actually commented "well this maybe a problem she tested positive for TB."

I laughed and when he asked why I told him to check his "official" papers how many times was it recorded they tested her AND gave her a shot for TB prevention.

He looked through all the papers and said, "Man...we have a record of her getting the TB shot in Guangzhou in 2006, from the Houston USCIS Civil Surgeon in 2007 and 2008."

I said, "If she really did test positive for TB, wouldn't she be hospitalized by now?"

He said, "yeah ummm. after 3 years and she has never been sick I would have to agree with you."

Thank God we finally got through the visa process and my dear one is here and we are now married. She came on a K-1 Visa.

However, I continue to be absolutely confused as to whether she needs any TB testing to be done here before filing the I-485 (with the I-693 Vaccination Supplement).

She had her medical exam done in GZ in December, 2008. She does not recall having a TB test at the time and does have chest X-ray films in her possession from that exam.

Do we need to do any further TB testing before filing for AOS, or is the vaccination supplement sufficient?

Thanks.

Hi yvrsyd and All,

Here is my story with a Civil Surgeon in North Carolina.

I have a wife and two step-sons...... :blink: :P :P :D

At the medical in Guz,,Wife got a chest x-ray and the two boys did not. Why not the two boys,,good question , maybe age or something else.

Ok,,so I knew we need the I-693 filled out, but K3/K4 are to have just the immunizations filled out.They already have their medical exams.

But everyone has been talking about the new TB requirements and so I asked the nurse about this.

What she told me,,was that the TB test was in the exam section of the I-693 and since Ling and the boys did not need an exam that the only thing that would be filled out would be the immunization record.

So,,what happens now??....I have no Clue.

The nurse said the she would fill out what they called the supplemental...will this be alright...I don't know and if it is not ..I guess I will be getting an RFE for their TB skin test.

also, even though Ling has a clear chest X-ray,,she would still have to have a TB skin test first...does not make much Sense since if her skin test was positive...she could then use her X-ray as proof that she was clear of TB.

So,, My AOS is submitted for Ling and the boys,,and at worst..expecting RFE for TB skin test.

Cost if we get RFE's...$25.00 for each skin test and $40.00 for each X-ray

Tom and Ling