Year of the Mouse, Mickey that is

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009...ent_7407578.htm

When I read this my first reaction was "Oh no, not another huge US company invading China mucking up the landscape with it's gawdy corporate logo." But then the more I thought about it, the better an idea I think it is.

It'll be located in Pudong, which is already ultra modern so it's not like it'll be ruining an rustic views. And it should be a huge tourism boon for China and Shanghai, both domestic and international. A China-themed Disneyland would be really cool. You can have exhibits including all the different ethnic groups from all over the country in one place. And best of all, imagine the incredible variety of great food that'll be crammed into one place. Mmmmm...

One challenge I can see will be if they can keep the prices reasonable enough that visitors, especially native Chinese, can afford to take their families without it costing an arm and a leg.

If nothing else it'll be fun to just go and see how Disney manages to keep all those people in lines. :ph34r:

If nothing else it'll be fun to just go and see how Disney manages to keep all those people in lines. :ph34r:

Disney was a believer in the herding approach to line forming for a long time ("Please fill in all available space"), so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them

When I read this my first reaction was "Oh no, not another huge US company invading China mucking up the landscape with it's gawdy corporate logo." But then the more I thought about it, the better an idea I think it is.

It'll be located in Pudong, which is already ultra modern so it's not like it'll be ruining an rustic views. And it should be a huge tourism boon for China and Shanghai, both domestic and international. A China-themed Disneyland would be really cool. You can have exhibits including all the different ethnic groups from all over the country in one place. And best of all, imagine the incredible variety of great food that'll be crammed into one place. Mmmmm...

One challenge I can see will be if they can keep the prices reasonable enough that visitors, especially native Chinese, can afford to take their families without it costing an arm and a leg.

Prices will be reasonable because people will be packed in usual Chinese fashion: asshole to bellybutton.

Disney was a believer in the herding approach to line forming for a long time ("Please fill in all available space"), so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them

That's true. :huh:

Prices will be reasonable because people will be packed in usual Chinese fashion: asshole to bellybutton.

:huh: I think I remember being in a few of those on a sweltering Orlando

day. And yes, I realize sweltering Orlando is redundant. :o

except Shanghai is probably the most expensive city in china... wish they had picked another city worth building up with tourism

That's a good point. Do you think they did it because Shanghai has more global recognition and can draw more international tourists than say a Shenzhen or a Guangzhou? That might tend to make it less accessible to locals but draw more non-residents. That would turn it into more of a one-day excursion for locals who can't affort Shanghai hotel prices. :o