I-751 questions

NOt sure whre to place this thread, but here goes...

I read this:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29296

And this:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf

- Number 5 in the USCIS.pdf link/file above says affidavits from two friends statind they know your relationship is real.... Has anyone actually done this? Or did you just give tow letters, like in the top link as David's comments seem to suggest?

- So she was issued her GC on apprx. 11/28/2007, so we are supposed to submit this I-751 90 days before this date, right? Or is it date_got_GC - 90_days?

- Hmm, what else? Oh, how long does this process normally take? What will happen to her status if they don't complete it before her GC expires???

- Do they normally ask for interviews for this part as well?

- Anything useful to know? Experiences??

Thank ya kindly in advance!

edit: sorry mods, didn't see this forum -thanks for the move. ;-]

Edited by mchina34 (see edit history)

I read this:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29296

And this:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf

- Number 5 in the USCIS.pdf link/file above says affidavits from two friends statind they know your relationship is real.... Has anyone actually done this? Or did you just give tow letters, like in the top link as David's comments seem to suggest?

- So she was issued her GC on apprx. 11/28/2007, so we are supposed to submit this I-751 90 days before this date, right? Or is it date_got_GC - 90_days?

- Hmm, what else? Oh, how long does this process normally take? What will happen to her status if they don't complete it before her GC expires???

- Do they normally ask for interviews for this part as well?

- Anything useful to know? Experiences??

Thank ya kindly in advance!

90 days before 2 years after the expiration date, which is on the green card.

You will get an NOA1, which will extend her status for 1 year (be sure she takes this with her if she leaves the country).

Others can chime in with their expeience - we went straight to the 10 year card, since they took so long to process her AOS application

Thanks for the quick response, Randy.

Is she supposed to get the biometrics at the USCIS when she gets the NOA1??? It says it must be at the USCIS, but it's not entirely clear when we will be invited to the lovely buidling to do so. :)

I believe it'll be at the same Application Support Center as for the I-485. Others have said their appt notice came pretty quick.

We did this when my wife applied for her removal of conditions about 5 years ago. I used two long time friends one of which also knew me when I was working in China. We were also good friends at the company where I worked in the USA. The other person was a long time friend of 25 years. They both typed up short letters affirming that we had a good relationship and then had their signatures notorized at their banks. I don't know if it made any difference or not but the removal flew through the process in about 3 months. I actually think the main thing that made it easy for us was the fact that we had a daughter that was born while I was still in China and I furnished the birth certificate for her, that showed both of us as parents.

Gale

I got two friends to give me two signed letters. Then, I forgot to mail them with the rest of the package...

I'd suggest you include the letters. When I file any kind of affidavit at the local county Courthouse, it gets notarized. I'm not convinced that's the meaning of affidavit in the USCIS context. Rather it's that your friends are affirming they know you and your relationship. Notarizing is free for me, so why not?

Someday you will receive (well, your wife will) a biometrics appointment letter telling you when and where.