Eating the Food

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They eat meat and potatos too. I've enjoyed some of the best roast lamb I've ever had in China. Also stews with potatos and vegetables.

The vegetarian places are very interesting. I don't know how they made the duck breast so real with crispy skin.

Roast lamb? Did they have a big brick oven?

I could not knowingly eat dog.

Same here.

Because Canis familiaris is our best friend - yes? Or another reason?

Best friend. I can't knowingly eat my best friend or it's species.

Yes, we would be horribly alone without our good loyal friend.

I agree 100%!! My best friend has saved my neck more than once. The thoughts of eating him or his kind never came to mind.

I could not knowingly eat dog.

but you can knowingly eat beef, pork, chicken, and fish :D but only willingly eat certain parts :rolleyes:

If you lived during early american period, you'd add horse to that list above :P

But I don't have any cows, pigs, chicken or fish living in my home nor am I on a first name basis with any. And none stare at me with big doey eyes when they're hungry or need to go pee. And I haven't raised any of them from 8 weeks old to 8 years. And none of them have stolen my wife's heart since she's been here or have kept her company every day while I'm at work.

You get the idea. ;)

The funny part about that was at the time,I was a Air Force Drug Dog Handler. I love dogs! I was training attack dogs before I went in the AF and I owned a kennel/training facility after the AF. I have been "in the dog world" for over 30 years. Training, breeding, showing, working...

The first time I didn't know it was dog. After I found out, I was a bit disgusted, but I also know that what I had eaten tasted good...and , it was meat...looked no different than the beef on the table right beside it...that being said, nothing could make me butcher my family dog and eat him...

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

The funny part about that was at the time,I was a Air Force Drug Dog Handler. I love dogs! I was training attack dogs before I went in the AF and I owned a kennel/training facility after the AF. I have been "in the dog world" for over 30 years. Training, breeding, showing, working...

The first time I didn't know it was dog. After I found out, I was a bit disgusted, but I also know that what I had eaten tasted good...and , it was meat...looked no different than the beef on the table right beside it...that being said, nothing could make me butcher my family dog and eat him...

You are forgiven! :rolleyes:

I never judge what other cultures eat. I have a pretty open mind and will try almost anything. I ate horse meat the other day. It was good although a little dry. I like honey comb tripe in Vietnamese noodle soup. I too would not knowingly eat dog for the same reasons most of you stated. I refuse to look down on Chinese people because they eat it though. Having grown up on a farm I have made pets out of all kinds of animals I later ate but I am preconditioned to balk at the idea of eating dog. As far as food as medicine I believe 100%. My wife knows what foods are best to eat for what illness. Chinese medicine treats the body like a garden. Western medicine treats it like a machine. What you eat can and does affect your health. Tofu is a great source for protien and has no cholesterol. Try cuting it into slabs about 1/2" thick and rolling it in corn starch with seasonings then fry it. Add a little soy sauce and mmmmmm good. Chinese do eat some things that seem odd to us but if you stick to vegetables, meat and rice you will live longer and healthier. The only thing I have eaten I didn't like on this trip was chicken blood. I tried it but didn't like it.

They eat meat and potatos too. I've enjoyed some of the best roast lamb I've ever had in China. Also stews with potatos and vegetables.

The vegetarian places are very interesting. I don't know how they made the duck breast so real with crispy skin.

Roast lamb? Did they have a big brick oven?

I didn't see the oven but I was told the owner of the restaurant had a farm 2 km away. We had a full shoulder crusted with spices. It was so tender, the meat fell off when you pulled with your chop sticks. No knives needed.

For those who will try dog I recommend the BBQ over the soup.

psst lamb is much better.

I never judge what other cultures eat. I have a pretty open mind and will try almost anything. I ate horse meat the other day. It was good although a little dry. I like honey comb tripe in Vietnamese noodle soup. I too would not knowingly eat dog for the same reasons most of you stated. I refuse to look down on Chinese people because they eat it though. Having grown up on a farm I have made pets out of all kinds of animals I later ate but I am preconditioned to balk at the idea of eating dog. As far as food as medicine I believe 100%. My wife knows what foods are best to eat for what illness. Chinese medicine treats the body like a garden. Western medicine treats it like a machine. What you eat can and does affect your health. Tofu is a great source for protien and has no cholesterol. Try cuting it into slabs about 1/2" thick and rolling it in corn starch with seasonings then fry it. Add a little soy sauce and mmmmmm good. Chinese do eat some things that seem odd to us but if you stick to vegetables, meat and rice you will live longer and healthier. The only thing I have eaten I didn't like on this trip was chicken blood. I tried it but didn't like it.

Have you tried the jelled pig's blood in hot pot?

Still my favorite dish is noodles, wet or dry. Everywhere we go I try the noodles. In fact tonight I had Vietnamese noodles with charbroiled shrimp.

Have you tried the jelled pig's blood in hot pot?

Still my favorite dish is noodles, wet or dry. Everywhere we go I try the noodles. In fact tonight I had Vietnamese noodles with charbroiled shrimp.

My wife loves jellied pigs blood. :toot: