Ordering Food In China

So not all of us want to take on the daunting task of learning Mandarin, at least not to the advanced level, or even the intermediate. Its not easy, thats for sure. I'm having trouble just ordering off the menu! And I know for those of you in China you have been on your own in the local restaurant at least once wondering how the heck you are going to order something with out a snail in it, this time don't pick up the cell phone and for gods sake don't hand it to the f¨² w¨´ yu¨¢n. Its time to show her your not helpless in China!

I've been in this situation more than once and now that School is about to kick up again I am sure to find my self THERE again. So here is something to get you started.

http://www.howtoorderchinesefood.com/

http://www.likealocal.cn/

good luck, and don't let those "wtf did you just say" looks discourage you. B)

Not that im rather selective in what I eat, but I would like to order something tasty every time ;)

I just got back from taking a picture at our favorite noodle shop and now I'm in the process of transcribing the entire menu. Using http://hk.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?p...m=1&wdeac=0

and my wacom tablet with its writing recognition I'm slowly making progress. The owners gave me a funny look and a smile, the younger one trying to explain to the older lady why he thought I was taking pictures :lol:

Not that im rather selective in what I eat, but I would like to order something tasty every time ;)

I just got back from taking a picture at our favorite noodle shop and now I'm in the process of transcribing the entire menu. Using http://hk.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?p...m=1&wdeac=0

and my wacom tablet with its writing recognition I'm slowly making progress. The owners gave me a funny look and a smile, the younger one trying to explain to the older lady why he thought I was taking pictures :lol:

Now you have me puzzled, how do you determine whether something is tasty until you try it?

good point! I've tried some of them before and didn't like em, you think I'd pay more attention to what was being ordered by Yakun but we can both get tired at the end of the day.. ahh laziness. That and I have a horrible memory which isn't making this easy, she had to tell me how to say dumplings (jiaoze) about eight times in the past week so you can imagine her frustration also haha :lol:

Ooh, before any of you think I came up with the little transcribing thing on my own I forgot to add this little link: http://www.sinosplice.com/life/archives/20...food-in-chinese

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

good point! I've tried some of them before and didn't like em, you think I'd pay more attention to what was being ordered by Yakun but we can both get tired at the end of the day.. ahh laziness. That and I have a horrible memory which isn't making this easy, she had to tell me how to say dumplings (jiaoze) about eight times in the past week so you can imagine her frustration also haha :lol:

But did she tell you how to order the filling you like? I found a great Dumpling restaurant that mae lamb and green onion. MMMMMMMMmmm

I found it and tried them on my own then took her there the next day. That amazed her.

You mean some guys actually get to order what they want when with their wives in China??? :sosad: Mine will occassionally actually ask me what I want :smartass: Okay she always asks...And then orders what she wants... :cold:

One time we were eating at a restaurant in Guangzhou at 2:00 AM at the end of a long China trip and I informed her that I could not possibly eat one more mouthfull of Chinese food... :unsure: No problemo...She called up a friend who shows up ten minutes later with a whole order from Mickey D's just for me... :nonono:

You mean some guys actually get to order what they want when with their wives in China??? :sosad: Mine will occassionally actually ask me what I want :smartass: Okay she always asks...And then orders what she wants... :cold:

One time we were eating at a restaurant in Guangzhou at 2:00 AM at the end of a long China trip and I informed her that I could not possibly eat one more mouthfull of Chinese food... :unsure: No problemo...She called up a friend who shows up ten minutes later with a whole order from Mickey D's just for me... :nonono:

Love the retro avatar Rog. :Dah:

You mean some guys actually get to order what they want when with their wives in China??? :blink: Mine will occassionally actually ask me what I want :sleeping: Okay she always asks...And then orders what she wants... :gleam:

One time we were eating at a restaurant in Guangzhou at 2:00 AM at the end of a long China trip and I informed her that I could not possibly eat one more mouthfull of Chinese food... :ph34r: No problemo...She called up a friend who shows up ten minutes later with a whole order from Mickey D's just for me... :ph34r:

Love the retro avatar Rog. :lol:

Unfortunately it makes me homesick for being in there... :sleep1: