History of China

Also I wanted to add, I realize the difference is in that China's history and culture is continuous. Government may have changed, but language, culture, and ethnicity has evolved in a steady stream from the most ancient times... as China is the only of the great ancient civilizations that still exists.

I in no way mean to trivialize this, or imply I am too dense to get it.

I also don't mean to imply insofar as richness and depth, that our culture is in the same league. I value our culture, but compared to China, all the world's cultures are young.

I just don't like to see it exaggerated to the point that it often is. There are so many great things to be seen in American and English literature, western philosophy and culture. I just keep getting visions of some redneck living in a trailer park with his Chinese wife, and the horrible and shallow vision of America that must come from that.

Just wish we could take joy and pride in both, and pass it on to your kids as something to be proud of and appreciate on both sides, you know?

:yahoo:

there are many great things in both cultures to embrace. just need open mind right.

But have too say i will never like mcdonalds burgers , yuk

yes.. I much prefer fish eyes, pig stomach and ears, duck brain, and beef tongue... :baby: Oh... and donkey meat is to die for on a cold northern morning :lol: Oops..left out the dog meat...

umm... yummy real food , you know its medicine to you too ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I wanted to add, I realize the difference is in that China's history and culture is continuous. Government may have changed, but language, culture, and ethnicity has evolved in a steady stream from the most ancient times... as China is the only of the great ancient civilizations that still exists.

I in no way mean to trivialize this, or imply I am too dense to get it.

I also don't mean to imply insofar as richness and depth, that our culture is in the same league. I value our culture, but compared to China, all the world's cultures are young.

I just don't like to see it exaggerated to the point that it often is. There are so many great things to be seen in American and English literature, western philosophy and culture. I just keep getting visions of some redneck living in a trailer park with his Chinese wife, and the horrible and shallow vision of America that must come from that.

Just wish we could take joy and pride in both, and pass it on to your kids as something to be proud of and appreciate on both sides, you know?

:yahoo:

there are many great things in both cultures to embrace. just need open mind right.

But have too say i will never like mcdonalds burgers , yuk

yes.. I much prefer fish eyes, pig stomach and ears, duck brain, and beef tongue... :baby: Oh... and donkey meat is to die for on a cold northern morning ;) Oops..left out the dog meat...

And that "three screams" thing where you dip the live baby mice in the sauce and just chew em' up alive :lol: nummy!!

(but seriously, no need to apologize for not liking McDonald's... you're better off without it)

History of China, and it's impact on modern times

OK - I'll bite - when did China start National Law? What Year?

this is easily googled :( but I'll bite back... gently.

China was united under the Qin dynasty in 221 B.C. This would be when 'national law' could be attributed. As was mentioned in other threads, they followed the Legalist (fa jia) political philosophy, one of penal law and punishment... Again... google could explain this... but I'll bite more.

A central government broken down to administrative divisions (which we still see today), uniform language, standarization of currency, roads and carts were standardized...

But in the end, the harshess of the "laws" caused the dynasty downfall...

DZ - ok - so in 221 BC the shamans got replaced, finally ? Prolly not a total replacement, either, right? Then another 1230 years of moveable laws, still not totally replacing the shamans.

what role, do you feel, the shamans have had inside of the CCP, at the National CCP yearly meetings?

DZ - ok - so in 221 BC the shamans got replaced, finally ? Prolly not a total replacement, either, right? Then another 1230 years of moveable laws, still not totally replacing the shamans.

what role, do you feel, the shamans have had inside of the CCP, at the National CCP yearly meetings?

Why not first let us know what role and duration you understand concerning shamans in ancient asian culture... and then maybe we can discuss further from there. I'll leave a hint: Shamans existed much longer in other civilizations but I'm getting ahead of any comment you may have...

:lol: :lol: :D

do you really want to learn, have you time ?

i think what i'm saying is that you say american history is a development from europe history, but most/many here have no knowlegde, understanding or concern of that, they really think usa history/culture is hot dogs, dinners, big trucks, crazy size houses and baseball and the right to buy anything you want on credit, its toy culture.

this makes me think it is a culture of children, i mean this with no offense.

Hmmmm...My first attempt at a response seems to have gone away... :P so "if at first you don't succeed"... :D

Jin when you say "most/many here have no knowledge, understanding..." Are you refering to our own members or some kind of "great unwashed" masses of Americans that you have come in contact with...If it is the former then you are just plain wrong...Our members represent a highly educated group...Most have university degrees and although some may think that to be self-educated is somehow superior I don't...University curricula in the west have been developed over hundreds of years to turn out a well-rounded individual, able to operate on many levels with a broad knowledge of history, literature, philosophy, science, etc...Is it any wonder that the dream of many Chinese parents is to send their children to the West for a university education??? :P Do you think Chinese parents are so dumb as to send their progeny off to be educated by a "culture of children"??? :ph34r:

:roller: :unsure: :smartass:

do you really want to learn, have you time ?

Would you please define Shamanism (saaman,. a. Ural-Altaic. Mongolian. word. meaning. healer) as you are using it. The word comes from Mongolia and applies to the healers of the people from Mongolia. This includes the Laplander "Sami" & Native American healers.

In general terms it is applied to any indiginous healers who use tools to focus the energetic power found everywhere. Mongolia has tried suppressing Shamanism as the Shamans have strong influence and support old ways.

Shamanism (in the general sense) has never been eradicated by priestly religions. Traditionally Shamans were women. Transition From Shamans to Priests generally followed societies transition from matriarchy to patriarchy. The transition can be found in myths from most cultures.

Feng Sui is still practised and is a Shamanistic belief system. Qi Gung believes only in the power to use energy by the individual's mind. They are opposed to Feng Sui as using tools rather than strictly mind. Tools or objects having power is a feature of Shamanism. Yoga teaches that this power is in everything but it is not a Shamanistic belief. Since the Mongols arrived in Tibet, Saamans have been the healers of choice there.

So how is it you are using the word?

Why not first let us know what role and duration you understand concerning shamans in ancient asian culture... and then maybe we can discuss further from there. I'll leave a hint: Shamans existed much longer in other civilizations but I'm getting ahead of any comment you may have...

Nope - sorry, not gonna do 'it' - I'm only responding to what you wrote in post #1 of this thread.

YOU'RE the one who mentioned shamans, so I'm trying to balance/compare/contrast shaman-based influences vs national law, specifically EITHER 'shaman-influence' or 'shaman-based-influence.

I'm skipping all of 'the history' and jumping forward to CCP-dominated rule, rules, ruling.

It's YOUR posit, not mine.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

some hold a very broad definition or range of influence. shamanism is probably the precursor and basis for most world religions; It could broken down by function (seer, healer, priest, prophet), geography, or epoch (ancient vs modern). Chrisitianity still survives today based upon beliefs which ground in shamanistic ways; they just call it something more digestable like prophecy, healing, spirituality, and a host of dogma is dependent on some of it.

I would prefer to look at it's more ancient practice vs modern one. In the most ancient practice in china, tortoise shells and bones were burned and the resulting 'cracks' were divined, as far back as Xia period (21 century BC). They found evidence of it in the Tang Dynasty as well (900 A.D). The mongols under Gengkis Khan are said to have brought a shaman on battles and goat bones were used (1200 A.D.). But much of the asian region, from Manchus, to Tibetans, to Siberians had a strong Shaman history which I am not sure if it has any association with using parts of an animal; buddhism as well has a ritualistic side grounded in shamanistic ways. But it's continued use as healers, priests and prophets was common around the world... dare I say even today.

The chinese, as they are wont to do, turn most issues from spiritual activity to more humanistic activitiy; ergo the emergence and dominance of Feng Shui and Qi Gong. The oldest and most famous book in Chinese history is the Yi Jing (The book fo change). The famous hexagram arrangement is based on the traditions of Qi, the five elements and Yin Yang theory; it is discovered to be the first evidence use of a binary system and octal system (the west 'discovered' the binary system a few thousand years later).

To ask about Shamaninsm in the CCP is to really to not quite realize the often mentioned abolishment of chinese tradition understaken by the CCP... anything associated with tradition was attempted to be purged. Only more recently, has the CCP turned back the clock and gingerly embraced it's traditional philosophical roots since it's too well grounded in it's influence and importance to social harmony and order.

One important influence which I think merged into the general way of chinese thinking is in the core idea of what is 'truth'... For the west, I think truth is a bedrock and often requiring a past since truth is something [already] proven. For chinese, I see 'truth' treated differently; truth seems to hold a future as well as a past. Historically, the chinese looked to the far past to discern truth since only the ages of time will tell you if something holds true. Likewise, to discern the 'truth' of something more current requires time to pass as well, so they seem less concerned with figuring out current truth and see it as something, at times, to still be discovered. Truth is put in it's rightful place on some level since it is after all, so relative... and so relative that they have historically avoided the western paramount dependence on it. Life goes on with or without the truth. Truth changes. Truth is no less important... it is simply looked upon differently due to influences in how they viewed it historically, from even ancient times.