Hi all,

Regarding Police Records. My wife spent 3 years outside of China in South Africa. She's been back in China now since 2002.

Questions.
1. Does she need police records from South Africa?
2. If so, Any idea on how to get them from South Africa?
3. If she needs police records from SA, she will also need them from China, right?

Thanks in advance,

Yes - from everyplace she's lived more than (3? 6?) months, outside of the USA.

Others have reported trouble getting them from Japan, but eventually did get them.

You might start by checking with a South African embassy or consulate.

The Chinese police report needs to be obtained from her hukou (where she is registered).

Thank for the reply Randy.

Is there any chance we could get away with not providing a Police Record from South Africa? My wife is beginning to think this is a difficult task. If the Chinese police record shows no gaps in residence would that do?

Thanks,

Document your efforts, and the responses you get

Just do the best you can

Thank for the reply Randy.

Is there any chance we could get away with not providing a Police Record from South Africa? My wife is beginning to think this is a difficult task. If the Chinese police record shows no gaps in residence would that do?

Thanks,

Document your efforts, and the responses you get

Just do the best you can

Don't go to the interview without the police records! It will show in her passport and I think its in documents elsewhere (G325..?). My fiance went to her interview without police records from an out of country period and they blue slipped us for that and then, after a second thought, the VO added four other items for me that were VERY hard to get. If we would of had that police record from the other country she would be here now with me. I had included a background check on her from Interpol from my work in the original 129 package but that wasn't good enough.

It wasn't to hard to get after I found out how to get it. I used Google to search and just kept trying different names with the country like "police records visit Bahrain....visitor police records Bahrain....good citizen report Bahrain...

We ended up finding out that she had to go to the Bahrain embassy in Beijing, fill out some form (in english), be finger printed, provide a copy of her visitor ID, and pay two dollar fee (US$ not RMB) the hard part of that was it took about two months for it to be sent back to Beijing.

Haoran congrats on the fast approval! I guess that we got lucky huh!

I am also trying to get these police forms. My wife lived in Switzerland for 5 years and I was able to go and order the police report online. I printed out the form and sent it to Switzerland. It costed 40 francs!

My wife also lived in America for 2 years. Does she need a police report from America? They should have done a background check on her already. I would imagine that they would have already pulled the police report. Anybody know for sure?

Dificult but not imposible to get, a few members had similar problem with Japan, the consulate will hold you to getting the required reports, unless the DOS resiprocity table indicates that they are NOT available.

Police Records

Available. Criminal records since 1901 covering the entire Republic are maintained at the South African Police Headquarters, Pretoria. The period The Commissioner of the South African Police issues certificates upon application, stating whether or not a criminal record exists, and, if so, particulars of the offense as well as any sentence passed.

The police authorities require an applicant to present verification of identity, such as a Book of Life, or valid passport, and a payment of R41.00 (South African rand forty one payable in cash, cheque or postal order, made payable to the South African police).

To obtain a certificate that is issued in single copy only, fingerprints must be taken by the local police in the applicant¡¯s place of residence. The South African police forwards the completed fingerprint chart and the fee to the head office in Pretoria for issuance of the police clearance certificate. If the applicant is residing in the United States, he or she should forward a bank draft in the aount of R41.00 together with a completed fingerprint chart (bearing an official signature and stamp of the local police station) to:

South African Police Service

Criminal Record Centre

Private Bang X308

Pretoria 0001, South Africa

Alternatively, he/she should authorize a friend/relative in South Africa to submit the application on behalf of the applicant.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3672.html

Here's an update.

The trip to the South African Consolate in Shanghai was worthless. My wife got there and the lady wouldn't help her at all. She said the consolate and the Embassy in Beijing couldn't provide police reports and that she needed to go to her local police station and get finger printed, then send that off to South Africa to get a police report. The thing is, when she was in South Africa she was never finger printed so there's nothing for them to compare to in South Africa. Ughh... The lady at the consolate was beyond rude and wouldn't give my wife any information on how to proceed. Links, Phone numbers, nothing. She told her to do it on her own and basically, don't bother them at the consolate. This is after my wife called South Africa and spoke to a nice man who told her she could get this stuff done at the Embassy or Consolate so of course she was upset.

I had to spend nearly an hour calming my wife down and telling her not to worry that we'll figure it out.

Here's an update.

The trip to the South African Consolate in Shanghai was worthless. My wife got there and the lady wouldn't help her at all. She said the consolate and the Embassy in Beijing couldn't provide police reports and that she needed to go to her local police station and get finger printed, then send that off to South Africa to get a police report. The thing is, when she was in South Africa she was never finger printed so there's nothing for them to compare to in South Africa. Ughh... The lady at the consolate was beyond rude and wouldn't give my wife any information on how to proceed. Links, Phone numbers, nothing. She told her to do it on her own and basically, don't bother them at the consolate. This is after my wife called South Africa and spoke to a nice man who told her she could get this stuff done at the Embassy or Consolate so of course she was upset.

I had to spend nearly an hour calming my wife down and telling her not to worry that we'll figure it out.

They should provide a police report saying exactly this - that she doesn't show up on their records. In this case, no-shows are good.

The City of Houston gave us a similar "Haven't seen her" police report (we had to go get it in person since the HPD didn't like her fingerprints).