Warning Internet dating SCAM

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/sc...ning081014.html

Scam Warning

The Embassy has received some reports of fraud committed against U.S. citizens by Internet correspondents from China professing romantic interest. In many of these cases, the Chinese national has hired a company to communicate with the American citizen for him/her, meaning that s/he has not actually written any of the e-mails that were sent to the American. Likewise, the American citizen may unwittingly carry on telephone conversations with a paid consultant posing as the romantic interest. The business models of many of these companies are reliant on the American citizen ultimately paying extremely high ¡°consulting¡± fees¡ªoften the Chinese national will tell the American that s/he needs tuition for English study, but actually uses this money to pay the relationship consultant. In some cases, when the American visits China to meet his/her Internet friend in person, a visa consultant accompanies the Chinese friend and presents the American with a demand for payment of thousands of dollars in fees. At times, when the American citizen has refused to pay, s/he has been threatened with physical violence or unlawful detention. The Embassy has also received reports of Internet relationship scams seeking money, rather than visas. For instance, the Chinese person will claim they or a close family member has been kidnapped or had a large sum of money stolen and asks the American to wire them money.

While many Chinese citizens are sincere in their desire to marry and live with Americans they meet over the Internet, some are not. It is important to remember that immigrant visas to the United States are viewed by many Chinese as having a great deal of value, and it is not uncommon for people to enter into relationships for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa.

Unfortunately, the Embassy is unable to carry out investigations of relationships of this sort, but all Americans are urged to approach such Internet relationships with caution, and to be wary of situations which appear similar to that described above.

For further information, see http://travel.state.gov/pdf/international_...ms_brochure.pdf.

I have also heard of simular like scams from Russia and Nigeria.

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)
Guest Rob & Jin

USCGUZ

posted that a while back on cfl , but thanks for the reminder :P

and unfortunatly is reflected in alot of the recent denials we are seeing.

Its probably more important now than ever that folks read the FAQS, not be a lurker as its hard to help after you get the "white".

good luck all :D

Edited by Rob & Jin (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

Most Chinese people intention are good. They are very sincere about their realtionships with their new American Spouses. They hope to have a better life filled with happiness and accomplishments. However you have the ones who are like what GUZ warns about. The fact is Con Artist are all over the world. There have been some real horror stories right here on CFL. You gotta use your head when doing any type of dating with your new intended.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23115

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25631

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29957

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/sc...ning081014.html

Scam Warning

The Embassy has received some reports of fraud committed against U.S. citizens by Internet correspondents from China professing romantic interest. In many of these cases, the Chinese national has hired a company to communicate with the American citizen for him/her, meaning that s/he has not actually written any of the e-mails that were sent to the American. Likewise, the American citizen may unwittingly carry on telephone conversations with a paid consultant posing as the romantic interest. The business models of many of these companies are reliant on the American citizen ultimately paying extremely high ¡°consulting¡± fees¡ªoften the Chinese national will tell the American that s/he needs tuition for English study, but actually uses this money to pay the relationship consultant. In some cases, when the American visits China to meet his/her Internet friend in person, a visa consultant accompanies the Chinese friend and presents the American with a demand for payment of thousands of dollars in fees. At times, when the American citizen has refused to pay, s/he has been threatened with physical violence or unlawful detention. The Embassy has also received reports of Internet relationship scams seeking money, rather than visas. For instance, the Chinese person will claim they or a close family member has been kidnapped or had a large sum of money stolen and asks the American to wire them money.

While many Chinese citizens are sincere in their desire to marry and live with Americans they meet over the Internet, some are not. It is important to remember that immigrant visas to the United States are viewed by many Chinese as having a great deal of value, and it is not uncommon for people to enter into relationships for the sole purpose of obtaining a visa.

Unfortunately, the Embassy is unable to carry out investigations of relationships of this sort, but all Americans are urged to approach such Internet relationships with caution, and to be wary of situations which appear similar to that described above.

For further information, see http://travel.state.gov/pdf/international_...ms_brochure.pdf.

I have also heard of simular like scams from Russia and Nigeria.

Nothing new. This has been happening since the begining of time.The first girl that wrote to me,after i was seperated from my first wife, was a beautiful Russian girl,and she ended up being a scam,if you have half a brain,most of us will figure it out, when they are scams....i looked up her computer internet address,she or it couldve been a he was trying to get money from me,from germany,not russia.

jimi

William - did you ever get 'the fee' sorted out with the cousin? Hang in there...

I talked with a few people about the marriage fee, including from a Candle for Love member's wife. The wife's member lives in the same district as the marriage broker, my cousin but about 2 hours away by bus. Most said NO but the member's wife and another person said there is a fee for the broker. We are not planning to tell the marriage broker, until we get our visa in case she wants to cause some trouble. For example, calling the US Embassy. I am will to pay her sometime but NOT what she wants. I hope it is negotiable.

Edited by William Lee (see edit history)

So, alas, that would be 'no' - you don't have the fee 'sorted' with the broker. You have a plan to not pay it, and another plan to not pay as much if the plan to 'not pay it' falls through.

Since this is a cousin, you want to scope out the 'loss of face' and how it's going to affect your family in China.

I pray no one dies this time, no maiming, no mutilation.