Guangzhou Baiyun Airport Question

When coming in to CAN, 3 times now I've seen a 'luggage recheck' sign, just outside the international arrivals gate,with an arrrow, and never see anyone manning it (I come in on the 6:50 AM flight outta LAX).

I'm tired of schlepping the big bags up to a ticket / Check-in counter - so I'm a asking - where is a working luggage recheck area , just outside of international arrivals, at CAN ? FWIW, I did learn about the escalator the hard way, but found the elevators in the subsequent 2 trips. (these take me to the normal check in area)

Thanks in advance !!!

Warmest Regards...

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

OK - after a week of so of hitting TheGoogle - it seems that the only way to get rechecked is to do it at the check in counter.

Thankfully, I did learn about the elevators from the International Arrival Level - i will have fun this next time, make it a speedier passthrough. YUM !

When coming in to CAN, 3 times now I've seen a 'luggage recheck' sign, just outside the international arrivals gate,with an arrrow, and never see anyone manning it (I come in on the 6:50 AM flight outta LAX).

I'm tired of schlepping the big bags up to a ticket / Check-in counter - so I'm a asking - where is a working luggage recheck area , just outside of international arrivals, at CAN ? FWIW, I did learn about the escalator the hard way, but found the elevators in the subsequent 2 trips. (these take me to the normal check in area)

Thanks in advance !!!

Warmest Regards...

I have been in and out of that airport over a dozen times now, including the intra-country flights and I have never noticed that sign ??

I am not aware of any option to re-check a bag, other than at one of the regular gates. Also, don't get sucked into paying 30 RMB to have a bag strapped in yellow safety tape !! The uniformed guys who motion you into the strapping machine area, make you feel like it is required or necessary, but it is a waste unless you have a bag which is busting at the seams. :D ;)

BTW, did I miss something here.....the member ID is Sebastian but the edit ID in post #1 shows Darnell ??? Is this a membership name change ??

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Nope, I never noticed that sign either. Don't check bags though. As for name changes refer to http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35468

specifically:

try this

click on the users name

then profile options

then Member's Display Name History

the fact that many thingies are there tells you maybe there has been a change

• 2 months later...

I'm taking a small camcorder this trip, gonna turn it on just as soon as I'm out of the Customs Area (right at the first spot where you can buy a China TeleCom Sim card, do some money exchange, yada yada).

I swear, 'this sign' is about 50 metres pass this point. Was always 'unmanned' when I came through.

FWIW - it's 'step 6', listed here:

http://www.baiyunairport.com/english/process8.jsp

with a bigger map here: http://www.baiyunairport.com/english/a8.htm (sure the map is a bit mislabelled - but 1F, international arrival hall, is barely visible).

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

Thanks in advance !!!

Warmest Regards...

When I landed in Guangzhou from LA, I picked up luggage, went thru customs and was directed thru door to baggage re-check they checked my luggage and took care of my ticket to Nanning then I went upstairs to the gate. Good Luck.

Thanks in advance !!!

Warmest Regards...

Edited by bobi (see edit history)

Thanks in advance !!!

Warmest Regards...

bobi - thanks for the confirmation !!! So I'm not losing my mind after all ;) Usually I'm coming in on the Sunday Morning Flight, so maybe it's just a 'day of the week' problem for me.

Warmest Regards...