Reflecting on 8-months living in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic post Jesse. Thanks for the details. I hope you'll keep posting.

Things are progressing pretty quickly for the financial package I've been working on since August 2007 when we were blue slipped, so instead of late 09 to actually take up residence it's looking more like June with a month long trip before then to get married and inaugurate our new house.

I thirst for posts like your's by someone that is actually boots on ground in-country. Reading your posts makes me feel that I may miss a bit of the flavor of actually working in China, but I'm gonna be a bum, do some traveling, do some writin', play a lil' music even if it's just with myself, and laugh my way through the next years with the lil' rabbit and Bubba, Jr.

Good luck to ya Jesse, looks like you're fitting in real well, I'm real happy for you and your family.

tsap seui

Nice post and pics Jesse. Despite all the crap I give ya I do have a lot of respect and admiration for your having the guts make such a life-altering move. I bet most of us have wondered at one time or another what it would really be like to actually LIVE in China. You're finding out. I don't know whether to be envious or glad it ain't me. :unsure:

I hope things continue to go well for you and your family. :flowers_and_kisses:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for posting about your move, enjoyed it very much. Can't wait to read about the classes you are doing...bet it'll be a hoot :lol:

Thanks Jim.

Regarding the class I presented, "Communicating in Technical English:"

I spent several weeks researching the history of technical communication in China, during which I was able to make a few key contacts with a well-known amongst technical communicator group of academics that visited China in the late 1990s. They included professors from US universities, that spent several weeks in China working at several noted universities.

The group documented their findings and observations in publications with the Society of Technical Communication (STC), of which I am a long-time member. I contacted one of the leaders of that group, who was more than happy to provide assistance in my research in developing the material. She put me in touch with a noted Chinese professor, with whom I have corresponded several times, and also provided me with some of her more recent studies.

Some of the key findings of this group were:

1. The differences between High-Context and Low-Context cultures. You can find a lot of information on this topic on the internet. Edward T. Hall wrote a book in 1976 entitled: "Beyond Culture," and is credited with bringing these ideas to the table. The students were very interested in this portion of the class.

2. I also discussed the history of technical communication in America, and how communication in China differs.

3. Included a short discussion about grammar, voice, brevity, and other writer stuff.

At the end of my class, it became very clear to me some of the differences between high-context and low-context cultures. Chinese students will rarely if ever speak up during a class as American students do. I was met by several quiet stares when I asked for questions, but was prepared for this as I had been warned of it in advance.

I then reviewed the material we covered and tried some interactivity in which I divided into four groups. Each group was tasked with designing a paper airplane, and to write a step-by-step procedure on how to make the plane. The class came alive during this portion of the session, with several planes making their way across the room.

There were no thank-you's at the end of the session, which is also may stem from a cultural difference. However, as of today, I have received dozens of inquiries about various sections of the presentation, and requests for clarification. The thank you's are coming in that manner, as face is a big thing, and students are likely to be quite reserved in front of a native English speaker.

Great post Jesse. Very informative for those thinking of moving to China.

Thanks Carl. :)

seriously, great photos.

makes me miss China especially how they all seem to keep their apts the same :rolleyes:

There is indeed a good deal of redundancy in that department, but some cities are beginning to show a move toward newer cutting edge design.

I really hope that you might consider posting regularly about your live in China.

Thanks!

I hope to also, and will try as time permits.

Very interesting Jesse...It seems to me that $2700 for 30 large boxes is a good deal....There is a thread in the Communications, Travel, etc forum about moving a household to China...If you could add anything I'm sure they would appreciate it... :D

I looked around quite a bit for ocean freight companies and found one out of Miami, Florida, which can be found at:

http://www.freight-calculator.com/

cargo@freight-calculator.com

Due to my recent busy schedule (partly due to my viewing the 30 episode TV series which is shown on Jiangsu TV right now), I haven't get into Candle for quite a while. It is nice to see your summary of life in China, and knowing that all three of your are doing well. :)

Please pass my greetings to Lan. Happy Spring Festival! :blink:

Thanks Joanne. Lan, Sarah and I all wish you the same.

ÐÂÄê¿ìÀÖ

B)

Great thread. Thanks for sharing. Very awesome pictures... your wife is beautiful... you, well... I wouldn't say handsome :P ... ok, you're not bad either... I promise to try to be nicer in 2009. :D

I imagine your Chinese is improving much more.

I'm glad to see everyone is doing ok. Best wishes and good luck in the future.

Thanks Joanne. Lan, Sarah and I all wish you the same.

ÐÂÄê¿ìÀÖ

B)

Thank you for your story Jesse it was great. Thank you for all of the pictures. Pictures are worth a 1000 words you know. Please continue.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I agree. A lot can be told in pictures that cannot be said in words.

:-)

Fantastic post Jesse. Thanks for the details. I hope you'll keep posting.

Things are progressing pretty quickly for the financial package I've been working on since August 2007 when we were blue slipped, so instead of late 09 to actually take up residence it's looking more like June with a month long trip before then to get married and inaugurate our new house.

I thirst for posts like your's by someone that is actually boots on ground in-country. Reading your posts makes me feel that I may miss a bit of the flavor of actually working in China, but I'm gonna be a bum, do some traveling, do some writin', play a lil' music even if it's just with myself, and laugh my way through the next years with the lil' rabbit and Bubba, Jr.

Good luck to ya Jesse, looks like you're fitting in real well, I'm real happy for you and your family.

tsap seui

Thanks Tsap. Keep us posted on how things are progressing for you. I do hope you are feeling better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Lan, Sarah, and Jesse:-)

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Great post ShaQuaNew!

I won't be spending as much time here as you will, only six months in the last year ;) , so I love hearing your perspective as you're actually out in the employment world where my being in my own business doesn't expose me to the same level of intensity that you're experiencing ...

... keep the story going!

Bob

jesse... it was bittersweet to hear of you, lan, and sarah going back to the homeland! just when i was looking to go to orlando you take off! In the end, I'm just jealous ;)

I hope I can visit you in china this next year, if I can pull it off. but in the mean time, hope you continue to share your life and adjustment and discoveries. give my best to everyone... including your boss!

Guest ShaQuaNew

Keep it coming, Jesse. Most folks who have been in China for an extended time as an expat seem to get pretty cynical. You seem to still be in a honeymoon period. It will be interesting to see if your outlook changes in time, but for now - enjoy and keep reporting.

I guess we're all different people and respond to challenges differently also. To be sure, it's not all honeymoons and roses here. It's one of the biggest life adjustments I've ever made. China life is just not for everyone. I have urges to avoid and withdraw, but I try to refocus that energy by getting involved in learning more about the people and language. Getting information is like pulling teeth, and quite frustrating. Things we all take for granted in the US, must be relearned or done without in China. I too can be cynical about some of the differences, but I try to catch myself and not let challenges turn me into a bitter human being.

I would hate to think anyone believe that being positive about life in China is a temporary thing, as if some big gloom and doom was ready to pounce upon you after a certain time period elapsed. I didn't live my life that way in the US, and I have no reason to start living that way now.

I am surrounded by several very positive people, who are all ready to help anytime, and any way they can. They have all been indispensable to me.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Awesome Jesse!!! Continued good luck to you!!! Is that a condom dispensing machine I see in one of the pics? :lol:

:P

:blink:

:lol:

Yup. It is indeed! You musta had someone translate it for you. The machine lives on the wall right outside my community. Just as a joke, I am trying to get my wife to dress up as a lady of the night, and stand next to me while I put some money in the machine; then have someone take a photo. Thot that might make for interesting coffee table conversation.

Keep it coming, Jesse. Most folks who have been in China for an extended time as an expat seem to get pretty cynical. You seem to still be in a honeymoon period. It will be interesting to see if your outlook changes in time, but for now - enjoy and keep reporting.

I guess we're all different people and respond to challenges differently also. To be sure, it's not all honeymoons and roses here. It's one of the biggest life adjustments I've ever made. China life is just not for everyone. I have urges to avoid and withdraw, but I try to refocus that energy by getting involved in learning more about the people and language. Getting information is like pulling teeth, and quite frustrating. Things we all take for granted in the US, must be relearned or done without in China. I too can be cynical about some of the differences, but I try to catch myself and not let challenges turn me into a bitter human being.

I would hate to think anyone believe that being positive about life in China is a temporary thing, as if some big gloom and doom was ready to pounce upon you after a certain time period elapsed. I didn't live my life that way in the US, and I have no reason to start living that way now.

I am surrounded by several very positive people, who are all ready to help anytime, and any way they can. They have all been indispensable to me.

That was a damn good post right there Jesse. Positive outlook is EVERYTHING Surrounding youself with positive people instead of the negativity of the spirit and soul sucking vampires is paramount to happiness.

tsap seui

Awesome Jesse!!! Continued good luck to you!!! Is that a condom dispensing machine I see in one of the pics? :lol:

:lol:

Yup. It is indeed! You musta had someone translate it for you. The machine lives on the wall right outside my community. Just as a joke, I am trying to get my wife to dress up as a lady of the night, and stand next to me while I put some money in the machine; then have someone take a photo. Thot that might make for interesting coffee table conversation.

Yep my wife just saw the pics. :lol: Be careful Jesse and don't let a policeman see y'all making that picture or that there coffee table conversation could be quite a big story. :blink:

Guest ShaQuaNew

That was a damn good post right there Jesse. Positive outlook is EVERYTHING Surrounding youself with positive people instead of the negativity of the spirit and soul sucking vampires is paramount to happiness.

tsap seui

Thanks tsap.

It's cold again here in Nanjing today, with the Spring Festival spirit heavy in the air. I noticed a lot of people disappearing from my office yesterday afternoon, ready to get home and begin celebrating. Many are traveling to their home towns, and our office building will be completely shut-down all next week.

Because I live close to work, I can walk to work, which I've done daily since starting here. It takes about 15-20 minutes each way. As with all China streets, there is a constant flow of traffic, mixed with people, bicycles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, every single day, virtually 24/7. Last night (Thursday), I noticed on my way home a lot more traffic than usual. People were scurrying about, carrying packages, stopping at communities in taxis loaded from bottom to top with gifts for their families. There is an excitement in the air that I can only compare with what many of us experienced during Christmas in the 1950s 60s.

On my way to work this morning, Friday, the streets were almost empty. I would say the normal traffic flow had reduced by 80%. About 1/2 of our office personnel have already started their vacation. The rest are chomping at the bit and ready to go. Lots of gifts are being exchanged, packets of money for good luck, gift certificates, and so on. There is no doubt that this is a special time in China. It's easy to get caught up in the feeling if you let yourself.

Lan, Sarah, and I will be staying in Nanjing for New Year, as I have a bit of work to catch up on. She is out shopping right now getting some things for our personal celebration. I plan to get some fireworks later today or tomorrow and join into letting em rip.

:) ;) :sosad: :yay: :)