Proving a Bonifide Relationship

I just hit the 20 week wait for a interview for my wife in Guangzhou. She speaks very little english. Is this still a problem? I have spoken to her about this a lot. She was taking english classes but decided to quit the classes. She said she is going to tell them we communicate with translation software which is what we do. This and the fact I have only made one trip to China makes me wonder if she will get the visa. Also as of today my wife tells me I will get notice in the mail about my wifes interview in Guangzhou and I should tell her when I get it. I thought she was going to get mail or a call. Can anyone clear up these questions? From what I have read, if we do get turned down then I just have to reapply or give the required information. So far my wife has had everything ready for the marriage and paperwork for the visa. I hired a lawyer thinking it would avoid any mistakes. She has a friend who took 18 months to get to the USA. Thanks.

I just hit the 20 week wait for a interview for my wife in Guangzhou. She speaks very little english. Is this still a problem? I have spoken to her about this a lot. She was taking english classes but decided to quit the classes. She said she is going to tell them we communicate with translation software which is what we do. This and the fact I have only made one trip to China makes me wonder if she will get the visa. Also as of today my wife tells me I will get notice in the mail about my wifes interview in Guangzhou and I should tell her when I get it. I thought she was going to get mail or a call. Can anyone clear up these questions? From what I have read, if we do get turned down then I just have to reapply or give the required information. So far my wife has had everything ready for the marriage and paperwork for the visa. I hired a lawyer thinking it would avoid any mistakes. She has a friend who took 18 months to get to the USA. Thanks.

Dan, the communication thing has at various times been made into an issue, and then again it hasn't even been raised. I think if in your original submission of paperwork if you thought about the communication barrier and how you two get around it, that would have been great place to lay down a groundwork of how you two comunicate. Lots of our wives were marginal at best with english, it seems to be what mood or mode of questioning the VO was in as to how much importantce they made of the language barrier.

If you didn't address her languange in your original application somewhere, you might want to think and discuss, and even rehearse wiht your woman of how she can respond to a VO if that question comes up. Get her ready to easily and quickly show and explain to the VO what you guys do.

Heck, I've heard of many cases where the woman does the whole interview in Chinese and has no problem whatsoever...then again, they jerk some women around. It really is more about luck at their interview than anything else. Just prepare her for anything you can think of that she may need help with.

As far as the fact of one trip for you and you two married on the first and single trip.....buddy, again it is all about luck. We've seen many folks slide right on through the interview with nary a word said about that, then again, others get jumped on in a negative fashion like they had never heard of such a thing. Again man, sit down and come up with a plan of how to address this subject...key in on all the positives you can about how long you talked online, how well you feel you have come to KNOW each other, etc.

As to who will get notification of the interview date. In our case back in early 2011, I had filed electronically with the NVC portion and I got an e-mail with the interview letter and it's date WAY before my wife got a snail mail letter from the consulate. If you are 2 months past the NVC processing and haven't heard anything I really don't know what to tell you. That's above my pay grade. If you didn't scan and e-mail your documents electronically to the NVC then you may well be on track with the slower processing time that snail male takes with the NVC portion, them okaying her, and then sending her file by mail to China.

Finally, if she should get denied at the interview. With an outright denial the State Department (in the consulate who gives the interviews) will send her file back to the USCIS center who worked on your original application. They will look at her denial reasoning and most likely, send you a letter that breaks down why she was denied, and give you a set amount of time to rebut the State Department's accusations. In my wife's case, the USCIS looked at what the State Department denied her for, saw that it was crap and not legally correct and the USCIS re-afirmed her and sent the case right back to the consulate. That is rare, not unheard of, just not th eusual case. Most always folks get a "rebutal" letter.

Let's hope she makes it through her interview okay and you guys get to start your lives without State Department intervention into your bona fide relationship.

Just think of scenerios that could arise and rehearse ways to overcome them with your wife. You play act the VO and train her how to respond.

Good luck

tsap seui

only took us 4 years and 10 months to get a visa. My how time can fly :rotfl:

@Dan...my wife's VO was the first African-American she had ever seen in person. She did the whole interview in Chinese and she (a Chinese language professor) said he spoke excellently...the interview was a breeze. Be sure to instruct her well on answering the question: Are you or have you ever been a member of the CCP? It's important to get that one right. My wife was had the very last number given out and it was 1220 when she showed her smiling face and pink paper...oh happy day! Good luck to y'all.

Thank you guys for responding. Since I wrote this, my wife has actually practiced saying my address in English. I have read what I could on the internet. It does seem like they could ask a lot of questions or almost none depending on who you get. Some comments say they think they know the outcome before the interview actually takes place. My wife seems like she is more into anticipating questions they ask. I appreciate the feedback. I had to look up what the CCP was. What is the correct answer? We are doing everything by honesty so I see no reason to change now. It is just a long process, one I have never regreted since I met my wife on an online website. I guess we will just wait and see what happens. I will post the outcome.

Edited by Dan777 (see edit history)

Thank you guys for responding. Since I wrote this, my wife has actually practiced saying my address in English. I have read what I could on the internet. It does seem like they could ask a lot of questions or almost none depending on who you get. Some comments say they think they know the outcome before the interview actually takes place. My wife seems like she is more into anticipating questions they ask. I appreciate the feedback. I had to look up what the CCP was. What is the correct answer? We are doing everything by honesty so I see no reason to change now. It is just a long process, one I have never regreted since I met my wife on an online website. I guess we will just wait and see what happens. I will post the outcome.

There is a list of interview questions Dan. We pared it down to 75 questions and for 3 months before my wife took her first, and her second interview I'd ask her those 75 question twice a day. The list is under the links and resources forum at the top of the home page for Candle , click on the links and resources and then on the very first pinned topic, on the first page scroll down a tad and you'll see FAQ for interview questions....enjoy yore readin'.

Good luck

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

We used the practice questions that Tsap is talking about. We used every edge that we could think of, practice questions, roll playing, front loading the I-130...even thought about bringing in home made jaozi and my supremo dippin' sauce. There are threads here about the CCP question...bottom line you have to be truthful. If she's a member she can quit, but if you lie you chance getting caught and that could be more than just embarrassing, if'n you get my drift. Best of luck.

We used the practice questions that Tsap is talking about. We used every edge that we could think of, practice questions, roll playing, front loading the I-130...even thought about bringing in home made jaozi and my supremo dippin' sauce. There are threads here about the CCP question...bottom line you have to be truthful. If she's a member she can quit, but if you lie you chance getting caught and that could be more than just embarrassing, if'n you get my drift. Best of luck.

Gresing the palms heh? It will probably do the trick. ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

From what I have read, if we do get turned down then I just have to reapply or give the required information. So far my wife has had everything ready for the marriage and paperwork for the visa.

Hey Dan777, Any update? Has your wife's interview been scheduled yet?

"It really is more about luck at their interview than anything else."

I did a bit of research on the internet and it looks like GUZ is notorious for denials. I am wondering though... this thread was started in 2009 and I get the impression the denials peaked in 2009/2010. Has this changed lately? Consular officers are rotated and I saw an American attorney wrote a long letter to authorities about GUZ being un-reasonable:

www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0623-roth.pdf

Edited by ITGeniusGuru (see edit history)

Try shooting him a PM, this will send him an email to alert him to your question rather than relying on him checking this topic.

I am just a little confused, because for me marriage is sanctuary. I am just pointing out my concerned. How does it feel to marry someone you haven't physically or emotionally know well, when u guys don't communicate a common language and most especially you only met one time and that is ur wedding time? I may be naive but i'm still trying to understand this? hehe...sorry, i may sound stupid but we have our own opinions, right?

It is quite understandable, this is exactly the question that goes through the interviewing officer's mind.

The best course of action is to develop a relationship over time, building a case load of evidence along the way, and then provide this when filing a petition for a visa.

I am just a little confused, because for me marriage is sanctuary. I am just pointing out my concerned. How does it feel to marry someone you haven't physically or emotionally know well, when u guys don't communicate a common language and most especially you only met one time and that is ur wedding time? I may be naive but i'm still trying to understand this? hehe...sorry, i may sound stupid but we have our own opinions, right?

It is quite understandable, this is exactly the question that goes through the interviewing officer's mind.

The best course of action is to develop a relationship over time, building a case load of evidence along the way, and then provide this when filing a petition for a visa.

Dnoblett, haha, i deleted this message because i thought it was a bit harsh? I am sorry if i will offend anybody, i didnt mean to.

Dnoblett, haha, i deleted this message because i thought it was a bit harsh? I am sorry if i will offend anybody, i didnt mean to.

It's a reasonable question. and one that should be considered. As Dan said, "this is exactly the question that goes through the interviewing officer's mind." When I met my wife her English wasn't that great but I was surprised at how well we could still communicate. I knew her for 2 years before we married. We've been married now for nearly 9 years and her English while not perfect is functional. I have no idea where my pocket translator is I haven't seen it in years. I have a theory that Sino American couples sometimes communicate better than American couples. I don't have the luxury of mumbling "yes dear" while pretending to listen. I have to listen carefully to everything she says.