Getting the visa from the consulate directly?

We got the pink slip on Jan. 14th. When we went to the post office on the 16th, was told that since the consulate is closed for MLK day from 16th to 19th, we have to wait until Wednesday (21st) to get our visa. My questions are:

1. Since it normally takes 3 business days to have the visa processed, should it be Tuesday (Jan. 14, 15, and 20) instead of Wednesday?

2. In case the visa is not at the post office on Tuesday, would it be possible to go to the consulate directly to get the visa? If it's possible, which office should I go, the one in Tian Yu or the main Sha Mian office?

TIA.

Hiya, and welcome to CFL.

1. did your lass keep track of the EMS tracking number? You can track that package online with EMS at http://www.ems.com.cn/qcgzOutQueryAction.d...ode=gotoSearchE

2. This really is where it gets 'iffy' on the dates. There is possibility it went out of the GUZ Mailroom on the 15th, depending on what time of day it was put there. If it didn't go out with China Post on the 15th, it won't go out until the 20th, again with the concept that it does make it into the HUGE GUZ MailRoom. The GUZ MailRoom is a whole nother operation in itself - China Post comes by to pick up loads of stuff every day - but is possible for something to 'sit in the mailroom' for a day or more.

Your Numbers:

1. Right. They suggest 3 business days if there aren't any problems. As a precaution, call DOS and find out the status of your case.

2. I've heard of 'direct pick up', but ya gotta throw some weight around, and in person. a PRC person won't be able to do it unless a 'direct pick up' was requested at the time of interview (and even then, it's not guaranteed, ya gotta show some reason, a big reason, like scheduled surgery or a sick mother)

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

I would have thought pink on the 14th (Wed) would mean visa on the 16th. Do government offices in the US take off Friday before MLK?

Now we got pinked on 8th (Thurs) and I wasn't expecting it until Monday until someone here said it would be Saturday most likely. Sure enough it was. Someone else Ying knows from her med exam was pinked the same day and she still didn't have hers on Monday or Tuesday.

The consulate is off for CNY I assume? I hope that doesn't throw another snag in the mix.

Holiday Schedule at GUZ:

Important Notices for American Citizens

Consular Services Closed on January 16 for Staff Development

Consulate Guangzhou Closed on January 19 and on January 23 - 28

It was the experience of some of us last year, that during the major holiday periods, things slowed down significantly at the Consulate, as many employees took extra time off in addition to the actual holiday dates, to utilize extended vacation days off.

And yes, I have heard of direct pickup of the visa(s) at the ACS window, in certain situations, if the visa is cleared in the computer, and has not yet left for the PO.

Guest Rob & Jin

Holiday Schedule at GUZ:

It was the experience of some of us last year, that during the major holiday periods, things slowed down significantly at the Consulate, as many employees took extra time off in addition to the actual holiday dates, to utilize extended vacation days off.

And yes, I have heard of direct pickup of the visa(s) at the ACS window, in certain situations, if the visa is cleared in the computer, and has not yet left for the PO.

i know of one member who wanged it for direct pick up :lol:

but its not the norm

Holiday Schedule at GUZ:

Which office is the ACS window located? The one at Tian Yu, or the Sha Mian office? Thanks.

Roger, can you tell me where you got the the info that the consulate is closed from the 23rd to the 28th? I just checked the official website, and it says it's closed from the 25th to the 28th...

Well, I got my info and 'copied' it directly from the GUZ website.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/

Maybe they have two official websites ??? :D ;)

I just checked again, and it still says the same. Again, I did not type the data, I did a 'copy' and 'paste'.

They were closed a full week last year too, as I recall.

Roger, can you tell me where you got the the info that the consulate is closed from the 23rd to the 28th? I just checked the official website, and it says it's closed from the 25th to the 28th...

Well, I got my info and 'copied' it directly from the GUZ website.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/

Maybe they have two official websites ??? :D ;)

I just checked again, and it still says the same. Again, I did not type the data, I did a 'copy' and 'paste'.

They were closed a full week last year too, as I recall.

Looks like there are inconsistencies on the official website between here and here. :coolthumb:

Oh well, I tend to believe they will take the longer holiday, so I will prepare for that. This really throws a wrench in the whole plan. Oh well...

Thanks!

Jon