Lives Scarred by SARS...

It has been five years since the SARS outbreak affected China. It was the year in which I first got to know my wife and was, of course, very big news and a very big concern for everyone in that part of the world. Here are stories of survivors who have been left with some terrible health problems and doctors and reasearchers are still not sure if these are a result of SARS itself or the treatments they received. It certainly gives one pause to think what it would be like if the next great pandemic does strike some day... :blink:

http://www.eeo.com.cn/ens/biz_commentary/2...14/127331.shtml

Li and I were living in Guangdong when SARS broke out and it was spreading like crazy. Making matters worse was the fact that we couldn't get out because Li's visa, although approved, was still stuck in the Black Hole. I remember talking to the head of the Visa Unit about all of this when Owen Krout and I had our infamous meeting with the powers that be at GZ during the height of the SARS scare. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but Owen and his wife reveived their visa three weeks later and ours came through the following week.

SARS was pretty scary to say the least. The price of White Vinegar shot through the roof. A jug that normally cost 2 rmb was going for 400-500. Folks would burn the vinegar to kill germs in the air.

Li and I were living in Guangdong when SARS broke out and it was spreading like crazy. Making matters worse was the fact that we couldn't get out because Li's visa, although approved, was still stuck in the Black Hole. I remember talking to the head of the Visa Unit about all of this when Owen Krout and I had our infamous meeting with the powers that be at GZ during the height of the SARS scare. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but Owen and his wife reveived their visa three weeks later and ours came through the following week.

SARS was pretty scary to say the least. The price of White Vinegar shot through the roof. A jug that normally cost 2 rmb was going for 400-500. Folks would burn the vinegar to kill germs in the air.

Fascinating stuff Mick. You've really been through the wars.

Tough story to read.

It certainly gives one pause to think what it would be like if the next great pandemic does strike some day... :cheering:

Unfortunately, Roger, it is not IF it is WHEN the next pandemic strikes. Medical experts were lucky stopping the spread of SARS. Some day there will be some bug that kills a bunch of us, it could even be SARS.