USC child travel outside of the country

My wife, a Legal Permanant Resident, is planning to travel to China with our child, an American citizen. As our child is under the age of 18 and I won't be with them for the trip, is that doable or do I need to sign some sort of Affidavit Authorization for Minor to Travel? I hate to see them turned away by the airline officials.

Thanks

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

My wife, a Legal Permanant Resident, is planning to travel to China with our child, an American citizen. As our child is under the age of 18 and I won't be with them for the trip, is that doable or do I need to sign some sort of Affidavit Authorization for Minor to Travel? I hate to see them turned away by the airline officials.

Thanks

http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/p...ention_560.html

Pulled this off a travel website

Special Requirements for Children Leaving the US*:

To ensure the safety of children around the world, countries have adopted special requirements to protect children traveling abroad. If a child is traveling outside the United States and is not accompanied by BOTH parents or BOTH legal guardians, certain documentation and authorization are required:

1. For Single Parent Travel: A notarized letter of permission from the non-traveling parent or legal guardian authorizing travel with the other parent or legal guardian on the authorized foreign itinerary

2. When No Parents Are Traveling: Notarized letters of permission from both parents or both legal guardians authorizing travel with the accompanying adult(s) on the authorized foreign itinerary

3. Official forms and paperwork from the consulate of the destination(s) may be required before departure from the US

4. Certified translations into the language of the destination(s) may be required before departure from the US

Regulations vary by country: Contact the consulate or embassy of each country for the latest legal requirements, child age limits, and required forms.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)