K-3 vs CR-1 for fastest entry

My Chinese fiancee and I were previously approved for a K-1, but unfortunately she couldn't come. We got a 6-month extension, but still she was unable to come (family issues). When we requested a second extension, Guangzhou said "Sorry, you'll have to apply for a new visa." So now we've decided to just get married in China, and we're debating whether to do a K-3 or a CR-1. Question: Which is faster to gain entry into the U.S.? I understand that we'll have to adjust status, etc., with a K-3 once she's here, whereas adjustment isn't necessary with the CR-1, but for us the extra time once she's here for AOS, green card, SSN, etc., doesn't really matter because we'll at least be together for all of that. The most important thing is to finally be together as soon as possible. So which is faster for entry, a K-3 or a CR-1? Many thanks. I'll also post this topic on VisaJourney.

Another K-1 could be filed TODAY, whereas for the others, you will have to first travel to China and get married.

But to answer your question, K-3 is generally quicker than CR-1, since it involves less processing (the LPR processing will be done after she arrives). Check out the CFL timelines http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...ndex_New2.html# (although it doesn't appear to be up to date - is there another page?)

Another K-1 could be filed TODAY, whereas for the others, you will have to first travel to China and get married.

But to answer your question, K-3 is generally quicker than CR-1, since it involves less processing (the LPR processing will be done after she arrives). Check out the CFL timelines http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...ndex_New2.html# (although it doesn't appear to be up to date - is there another page?)

The K-3 does seem to appear to be faster. Thanks. I've already been to China twice in the past couple of months, and I'm going again next week (at which time we plan to get married in Ningbo).....and then another trip is scheduled for the end of January, and then in March.....etc. We both like the idea of already being married while waiting for the next visa approval.

The answer to your question is K3, but only by 1 month or so.

The argument to go CR/1 is it is almost as fast, you do most of the payments and paperwork here in the states, when she arrives in america, she immediately has a green card (no aos processing), and the total cost is less.

Given she seems to have had issues that kept her in China before, the CR/1 would allow her to (worst case) come to America to complete her visa, then fly right back to China the same day.

The CR/1 really is a much better visa than the K3, and with NVC doing online payments now it really is very close to the CR/1 visa time wise.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Try Visa Journey for processing times on CR-1.

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/irstats.php?cfl=

We went CR1 and I would not have done it any other way.

JMO... My lovely wife wanted to do K3 cuz those gals on 001

said that was the only way to go..... but I put my foot down

and say NO way Jose!! and yes it was like steppin on a land mine

but today she will tell you I did the correct way

Everyone has there reason for filing which ever way that see

fit. But it took us less than 1 year... 347 days from start to finish

and no we didn't use a Lawyer.

Just remember... First in does not mean first out.. in other words

just because your file is on top today, tomorrow it maybe on the

bottom of the pile or heck maybe hindin under someones desk....

best wishes

Given she seems to have had issues that kept her in China before, the CR/1 would allow her to (worst case) come to America to complete her visa, then fly right back to China the same day.

While I really like the CR-1, I have to mention - the K-3 is a multiple entry visa - so she could turn around on same day as well.

If you keep the I-130 in play, is possible she can come to USA on K-3, return to GUZ for I-130 interview.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)
Guest Tony n Terrific

My wife told me today that now you can apply on line for a Visa now with the USCIS and pay the fee right then and there. I have not heard of this but she told me it is something new now. You may wish to check this avenue out.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

My wife told me today that now you can apply on line for a Visa now with the USCIS and pay the fee right then and there. I have not heard of this but she told me it is something new now. You may wish to check this avenue out.

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it. The consensus seems to be the CR-1.....both here and on VisaJourney. The difference in processing times might be one month. But, yes, I know that everyone's situation is special. For us, that one extra month might be important (for medical reasons). We still have a couple of weeks to decide. For now, the next step is to get married....which will happen within the next two weeks. Very exciting times.

Tony mon - wei - what is the url?

Guest Tony n Terrific

Tony mon - wei - what is the url?

I check on this and you can not do this concerning the K1-3 of CR1.

Have to do the snail mail routine.

Here is the link I found explains electronic filling.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000d1f1d6a1RCRD