AOS and the Form I-693

As an FYI for others in the same state of the process:

In preparation for filing for AOS on our K-3 and K-4 visas later this month, I have located a U.S. Civil Surgeon close to my city (Sacramento vicinity) who also happens to be Chinese American and his office manager also speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin. Moreover, it was good to hear her say, she is very familiar with the Form I-693 process¡­.¡±we do these every day¡±¡­. and also familiar with the fact that my wife and daughter only need the ¡®supplemental¡¯ form, as they both have had their physicals at Shamian Island, well less than a year ago.

They will only charge $25 for each I-693 supplemental form for the vaccine and health recordation. Link to supplemental form attached.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

Actually USCIS stopped using the "I-693A" When the I-693 was updated last summer, this is why there is NO link to the old "Supplement" form on USCIS.GOV anymore.

Edition Date : 06/05/08. Previous editions will be accepted only for medical exams conducted before August 1, 2008. Medical exams conducted on or after August 1, 2008, require use of the 06/05/08 edition (link at bottom of page).
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

2. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

A. K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fianc¨¦(e), or as a

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen, and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

a. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification.

Knowing USCIS, they may reject the older CDC "I-693A" form because the new I-693 is designed for Vaccinations from a K-Visa

Actually USCIS stopped using the "I-693A" When the I-693 was updated last summer, this is why there is NO link to the old "Supplement" form on USCIS.GOV anymore.

Edition Date : 06/05/08. Previous editions will be accepted only for medical exams conducted before August 1, 2008. Medical exams conducted on or after August 1, 2008, require use of the 06/05/08 edition (link at bottom of page).
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-693instr.pdf

2. What if I am a K nonimmigrant visa holder and already had a medical exam overseas?

If you were admitted as a:

A. K-1 fianc¨¦(e) or a K-2 child of a K-1 fianc¨¦(e), or as a

B. K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen or a K-4 child of a K-3 spouse of a U.S. citizen, and

C. You received a medical examination prior to admission, then-

a. You are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination.

b. You will, however, be required to complete Part 1, Information about you, and submit the vaccination section of Part 2 with your adjustment of status application. A designated civil surgeon must complete the vaccination section and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification.

Knowing USCIS, they may reject the older CDC "I-693A" form because the new I-693 is designed for Vaccinations from a K-Visa

My wife just phoned the US Civil Surgeon's office in Sacramento.

They confered in Mandarin, so I could not understand all that was said; however, my wife stated to me that she told her not to worry, just bring the medical exam book and yellow shot books from Guangzhou and they would take care of the rest. She told my wife..."we do this daily and never have the problem"....

My wife just phoned the US Civil Surgeon's office in Sacramento.

They confered in Mandarin, so I could not understand all that was said; however, my wife stated to me that she told her not to worry, just bring the medical exam book and yellow shot books from Guangzhou and they would take care of the rest. She told my wife..."we do this daily and never have the problem"....

Yes, they tend to accept whatever the civil surgeon produces. Remember it's in a sealed envelope.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited the US Civil Surgeon yesterday to complete the medical requirements for my wife and daughter with their AOS process.

The doctor and his office manager were 100% aware of the process so all went very smooth and it was a fairly quick process as we only needed the vaccination certifications since (as I indicated previously) they had their med-exams in late May 2008.

There was, however, one change to the process that I did not anticipate; but we were able to resolve it on the spot. Effective this year, for girls/women age 12 to 22, the CDC/FDA now directs the USCIS to require the HPV vaccine to be added to the list of required inoculations for the AOS process. This was in addition to all those that were required for exiting Guangzhou on route to the US, and also those that are required by the public schools here in California.

The physician administered the vaccine to my 12 year old daughter while we waited for the paperwork to be filled out by his nurse. He conversed with my wife and daughter in Cantonese and it turns out he is from Guangzhou and went through his medical studies at nearby UC Davis Medical School. He is now on the teaching faculty at the same school.

The cost of the vaccine is $165.00, but my Blue Cross picked up all but the $15 co-pay. The cost of the I-693 prep was $25 for each file. I have the two sealed envelopes all ready to add to my AOS case files, which I will be putting together over the next couple of weeks and mailing before the end of the new month.

did you get tb skin test too ?

No, there was no TB skin test taken for wife or daughter this past week.

As their med exam at Shamian Island was less than one year ago, all that was required on the form I-693 was part 1 Patient Information, the 'Vaccination' section (only) of part 2, along with part 5, the Civil Surgeon's certification/signature.

The TB skin test is a component of the actual full physical exam, not the abbreviated vaccination cert' that is applicable when the med-exam is less than one year old.

The Civil Surgeon didn't even want to look at my wife's xray (from Guangzhou) along with the attached report, as it too, is a component of the full med-exam.

Guest Rob & Jin

As their med exam at Shamian Island was less than one year ago, all that was required on the form I-693 was part 1 Patient Information, the 'Vaccination' section (only) of part 2, along with part 5, the Civil Surgeon's certification/signature.

The TB skin test is a component of the actual full physical exam, not the abbreviated vaccination cert' that is applicable when the med-exam is less than one year old.

The Civil Surgeon didn't even want to look at my wife's xray (from Guangzhou) along with the attached report, as it too, is a component of the full med-exam.

we didnt get one either, just have noticed that others have even though their medical was before the new changes

hi Roger,

I'm about 30 minutes from Sacramento. Could you give me the number to the Civil Surgeon you went to?

Eva and I are preparing her documents for AOS.

Thanks,

Don

As an FYI for others in the same state of the process:

In preparation for filing for AOS on our K-3 and K-4 visas later this month, I have located a U.S. Civil Surgeon close to my city (Sacramento vicinity) who also happens to be Chinese American and his office manager also speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin. Moreover, it was good to hear her say, she is very familiar with the Form I-693 process¡­.¡±we do these every day¡±¡­. and also familiar with the fact that my wife and daughter only need the ¡®supplemental¡¯ form, as they both have had their physicals at Shamian Island, well less than a year ago.

They will only charge $25 for each I-693 supplemental form for the vaccine and health recordation. Link to supplemental form attached.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

hi Roger,

I'm about 30 minutes from Sacramento. Could you give me the number to the Civil Surgeon you went to?

Eva and I are preparing her documents for AOS.

Thanks,

Don

Dr. Xin-Nong Li, MD

6600 Mercy Court

Suite #130

Fair Oaks, CA 95628

916-961-3084

Very close to Mercy San Juan Hospital, just off of Madison Ave. Run map quest if need be.

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Hi big Roger, long time no heard! Looks like everything's going well with you and your new family. =)

I got my green card approved at the interview today, got the stamp in the passport, and just got an email case update saying card production ordered already! =D

Hey! Congratulations! Great news!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, upon further research of the USCIS website, this gives me pause for concern even though the specs were not the same in late May 2008, when my wife and daughter had their med-exams in GZ. It seems the rules changed effective a week later on June 1st.

Although the following Q+A from the USCIS website indicates it will not be an issue, I am concerned and may play it safe (avoid an RFE) and drop in to the US Civil Surgeon's office again this week, to get the TB skin tests regardless. My concern is, that since I delayed my AOS to wait for the two year marriage mark, that with the med exam now six months old, someone may assess this in a different manner....Remember IMBRA in early 2006 !? If anyone has any observations in this regard, please feel free to chime in.

Q. I had my medical exam completed before the new TB or vaccination requirements went into effect, and have not yet submitted it to USCIS, or I have submitted it but it has not yet been reviewed. Am I now required to have a new medical exam that meets the new TB and/or vaccination requirements before I can adjust status?

Generally, no. When reviewing a Form I-693, USCIS will note the date the exam was conducted and refer to the Technical Instructions, medical requirements, and form edition that were in effect at that particular time, remembering that for each revision of the Technical Instructions there was a 30-day grace period. If the civil surgeon conducted the medical exam properly and in keeping with the exam requirements and form edition in effect on that particular date, there is no need to return for a second exam or to have the results recorded on a newer edition of Form I-693, as long as you submit the Form I-693 before its one-year expiration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to Revised Form I-693, TB Testing/Treatment and Vaccination Requirements

Date of Medical Exam

Do I have to submit the revised Form I-693?

Does the medical exam have to be done in accordance with the new TB requirements?

Do I have to receive the new vaccines (if age appropriate?)

Before June 1, 2008

No

No

No

June 1 ¨C July 31, 2008

Yes Edition dates 4/2/08 and 6/5/08 are acceptable

Yes

No

On or after Aug. 1, 2008

Yes - must submit Edition date 6/5/08

Yes

Yes

Hmmm, upon further research of the USCIS website, this gives me pause for concern even though the specs were not the same in late May 2008, when my wife and daughter had their med-exams in GZ. It seems the rules changed effective a week later on June 1st.

Although the following Q+A from the USCIS website indicates it will not be an issue, I am concerned and may play it safe (avoid an RFE) and drop in to the US Civil Surgeon's office again this week, to get the TB skin tests regardless. My concern is, that since I delayed my AOS to wait for the two year marriage mark, that with the med exam now six months old, someone may assess this in a different manner....Remember IMBRA in early 2006 !? If anyone has any observations in this regard, please feel free to chime in.

Q. I had my medical exam completed before the new TB or vaccination requirements went into effect, and have not yet submitted it to USCIS, or I have submitted it but it has not yet been reviewed. Am I now required to have a new medical exam that meets the new TB and/or vaccination requirements before I can adjust status?

Generally, no. When reviewing a Form I-693, USCIS will note the date the exam was conducted and refer to the Technical Instructions, medical requirements, and form edition that were in effect at that particular time, remembering that for each revision of the Technical Instructions there was a 30-day grace period. If the civil surgeon conducted the medical exam properly and in keeping with the exam requirements and form edition in effect on that particular date, there is no need to return for a second exam or to have the results recorded on a newer edition of Form I-693, as long as you submit the Form I-693 before its one-year expiration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guide to Revised Form I-693, TB Testing/Treatment and Vaccination Requirements

Date of Medical Exam

Do I have to submit the revised Form I-693?

Does the medical exam have to be done in accordance with the new TB requirements?

Do I have to receive the new vaccines (if age appropriate?)

Before June 1, 2008

No

No

No

June 1 ¨C July 31, 2008

Yes Edition dates 4/2/08 and 6/5/08 are acceptable

Yes

No

On or after Aug. 1, 2008

Yes - must submit Edition date 6/5/08

Yes

Yes

You waited 2 years to do the AOS? All this past month, I've been paranoid that I needed to submit the AOS paperwork before my wife's K1 visa expired (which is in less than 2 months). You mean I can wait? Where is there some definitive direction on that? I read the AOS instructions, and couldn't find anything that spelled it out for me. Then again, maybe it's there and I missed it... wouldn't be the first time. :o :blink: