Baby born abroad to US Citizen

Has any member of CFL has any experience of going thru the process of acquiring American citizenship for a child born abroad to a US citizen who married a Chinese National? If you do, could you provide some detail of what needs to be done and how long does it take? Is the US citizen has to be presented at the embassy in China to file the application douments?

Thanks.

Has any member of CFL has any experience of going thru the process of acquiring American citizenship for a child born abroad to a US citizen who married a Chinese National? If you do, could you provide some detail of what needs to be done and how long does it take? Is the US citizen has to be presented at the embassy in China to file the application douments?

Thanks.

What he needs is a US passport and an exit visa from the Chinese government.

The consulate has no say over how the child would leave the country.

It was discussed here - http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=432324

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Benjam -

my wife and I are anticipating this as well, but now I see that it's the 'exit visa' that is the big variable.... it just doesn't seem there's any tried and true 'right answer' on 'how long to get it'.... except for '3 months' . I'm sure we don't want to wait 3 months - so I'll be paying attention for a way to shortcut this time.

Its been about 7 years since we did this in Shanghai with our daughter that was born there, so I am a little fuzzy on everything that we had to do, but it was pretty simple. As I remember you need to have the chinese birth certificate that was issued. I don't remember if it needed to be translated and notorized or not but I think it did. You then needed to get pictures for the passport taken. We used a place that was close to the consulate to get that done. Then you had to take these documents along with the baby to the consulate and apply for a birth abroad certificate before 30 days after the baby was born. This time frame is important. If over 30 days, they said it was to late to get it done. Also don't lose the birth certificate, they won't issue a second one. You then apply for a USA passport for the baby. I don't remember if we were able to apply at the same time the birth certificate was applied for or if we had to wait until the birth certificate was actually issued. I think the cost of the passport was near $100 back then but I really don't remember for sure. Then prior to departure to the USA, you will have to take the baby along with the birth certificate and passport to the local PSB and get an exit paper issued so the baby is allowed to depart china. This is because the passport won't show an entry into china because its a new passport issued in china. As I remember this was very easy. It seems like the cost was like 200 RMB and took about a week to get the paper. It seems like my wife paid some extra money to make sure everything went smoothly for the chinese exit visa. Then when you leave china with the baby you just present both the passport and exit visa as the airport and you can leave with the baby. It really was quite simple, easy and relatively cheap. Of course if you don't live in a city where a consulate is at then the expenses would end up being more due to the extra travel you will need to make to get to a city with a consulate.

Gale

Thanks.