Rice eating etiquette

Anyone try to eat rice with chopsticks without lifting their bowl to their mouth? Might be a good diet technique for some of us. :D

I'm around Chinese so much anymore that I forget what was once perceived as good and bad table manners.

I've always shoveled my food in...with sticks, spoon, fork, fingers... :P

Rice hard to eat with chopsticks in China. Not so hard here since its mostly in chunks. 100's of resturants in China we did the same with rice or soup. Chops dont have enough horsepower drag and drop with rice fingers are your friend. That chinese spoon dont fit mouth right? No problem pick it up and drink it same as ur tea. Folks at the next table will follow your lead. Use the force many will follow :blink:

My wife eats her rice in a manner I find a bit ill-mannered by western standards. At first, I thought is was just something she did, but then I saw an actor using the same technique in a Chinese movie. :blink:

She puts the rice bowl near her mouth, then rapidly shovels the rice into her mouth using chopsticks while she inhales. She can fill her entire mouth with rice in just a couple of seconds! :D The whole process is a bit loud and distracting.

If this is common practice in China, I can learn to accept it at home. Heaven knows I will never win any awards for table manners. :P I just wonder if I should discourage her from using this technique when we go out with friends.

If you are having rice out then my guess you are out at a Chinese restaurant. In which case her way is right and let your friends learn the correct way.

I've taught friends to slurp noodles loudly and they enjoy it saying "I don't have to be careful with it, just relax".