Burn a DVD with Window Media Center

Hello, everyone:

I have Window Vista Home Edition. When I tried to burn a .MPG file into a DVD, I constantly got an error message. It says "Please insert writeable media that is compatible with CD or DVD recorder, and then try again".

The DVD disk that I inserted was a Maxell DVD+R 4.7GB. My computer is a Compaq Desktop with a DVD drive labeled "RW DVD+R DL". Why aren't they compatible? Anyone has a clue? Thanks.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

Sometimes a drive has issues with certain brands of media.

I always use DVD-R disks. The -R disks have the DVD spec logo, and tend to be compatible with more drives, and are backward compatible with older players.

Also try using other software to write to the DVD. Did any DVD burning software come with your DVD drive? If not, download Nero, or some other software which allows a trial period.

It's not a difficult issue you're facing, but it can involve some trial and error to determine what's compatible with what.

Also try using other software to write to the DVD. Did any DVD burning software come with your DVD drive? If not, download Nero, or some other software which allows a trial period.

It's not a difficult issue you're facing, but it can involve some trial and error to determine what's compatible with what.

Thank you all who have replied.

I used a different software Windows DVD Maker. When I put in the first disc, the software rejected it as "not rewritable". But the second disc worked perfectly well. The original software which did not work was Windows Media Center.

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

Thank you all who have replied.

I used a different software Windows DVD Maker. When I put in the first disc, the software rejected it as "not rewritable". But the second disc worked perfectly well. The original software which did not work was Windows Media Center.

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Vids and tunes not the same thing.

Vids are movies. Music is audio.

Windows is ok but like another posted

use Nero or Jriver mediacenter.

Stopped useing RW dvd's and RW cdr's.

More trouble than they are worth.

Have had mediacenter 5 years best

software have found for the price.

Edited by JingJoseph (see edit history)