Diversity Day At Work

At my place of employment, we're having a Diversity Day Celebration which will take place next week. The Celebration recognizes the diverse cultures which exist in my particular place of employment and tickets went on sale yesterday attend the event. Lunch will be served as part of the celebration. :D

I purchased one of these tickets and noticed there were flags from many nations. The Taiwan flag was represented. The old flag from the former South Vietnam regime was represented. But there was no representation for the Peoples Republic of China! :angry:

I made an e-mail inquiry with administration as to why the Chinese flag was omitted. To me this reeks of political snobbishness!! I may be wrong, but that is the impression I got. Especially when they have included the former flag of a current country, recognized by the United States State Department.

Well, we'll see where it goes. Could be that I've opened a can of worms. This is a gubbimmit office. :blink:

PapaBear B)

I can't believe they had a Taiwan flag and not China...The US has a ONE CHINA POLICY and it ain't Taiwan...But there is a very strong Taiwan loby in the US...At the Chicago Chinatown New Year Parade they hand out little Taiwan flags for everyone to wave... :huh: Most people of course have no idea... :blink:

I can't believe they had a Taiwan flag and not China...The US has a ONE CHINA POLICY and it ain't Taiwan...But there is a very strong Taiwan loby in the US...At the Chicago Chinatown New Year Parade they hand out little Taiwan flags for everyone to wave... <_< Most people of course have no idea... :P

Believe it.

The organizers probably just hurriedly through together a bunch of flags without knowing whether they were country flags or cartoon flags used on PowerRangers.

At the Chicago Chinatown New Year Parade they hand out little Taiwan flags for everyone to wave... :D Most people of course have no idea... :lol:

I've noticed this too in the past....only ROC flags for any kind of celebration...but I also noticed that this year for National Day, Chi Chinatown only PRC flags hanging up...so...maybe they have a more diverse planning committee this year

At the Chicago Chinatown New Year Parade they hand out little Taiwan flags for everyone to wave... :rolleyes: Most people of course have no idea... :rolleyes:

I've noticed this too in the past....only ROC flags for any kind of celebration...but I also noticed that this year for National Day, Chi Chinatown only PRC flags hanging up...so...maybe they have a more diverse planning committee this year

At least it is getting better. From my experience I noticed that PRC gets no love.

:toot: Well....an update on the missing flag dilemma here. I have been approched to represent the Chinese Culture in our Diversity Day Celebration by providing a table with items representing Chinese Culture. For this, they will provide a People's Republic of China Flag. :D

The explanation I received was that nobody stepped forward to represent China. Hard for me to believe. I work in an office with over 200 Civil Engineers and 30% or more are of Asian decent. Many are Vietnamese, but we have a fair share of mainland Chinese as well.

For myself, I am happy to help others understand something about Chinese Culture. It gives me the opportunity to promote and share what I know about China, it's people and history. Music and food will also be represented. My wife will make some delicious Beijing dumplings. Probably will provide some good Hua Cha also. :D

Another note on the flag situation. Administration here said they would also provide the proper flag for Vietnam. The old South Vietnam Flag will most likely still be displayed, but they acknowledged that it really was the equilivant to putting up the old Confiderate Flag. :rolleyes:

So.....we're seeing some change out here in California. I'm glad to be a part of it! But I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the .....you know where! :rolleyes:

PapaBear :toot:

Edited by PapaBear (see edit history)

:D Well....an update on the missing flag dilemma here. I have been approched to represent the Chinese Culture in our Diversity Day Celebration by providing a table with items representing Chinese Culture. For this, they will provide a People's Republic of China Flag. :D

The explanation I received was that nobody stepped forward to represent China. Hard for me to believe. I work in an office with over 200 Civil Engineers and 30% or more are of Asian decent. Many are Vietnamese, but we have a fair share of mainland Chinese as well.

For myself, I am happy to help others understand something about Chinese Culture. It gives me the opportunity to promote and share what I know about China, it's people and history. Music and food will also be represented. My wife will make some delicious Beijing dumplings. Probably will provide some good Hua Cha also. :D

Another note on the flag situation. Administration here said they would also provide the proper flag for Vietnam. The old South Vietnam Flag will most likely still be displayed, but they acknowledged that it really was the equilivant to putting up the old Confiderate Flag. :o

So.....we're seeing some change out here in California. I'm glad to be a part of it! But I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the .....you know where! :huh:

PapaBear B)

I wonder how the Vietnamese there will react to the flag change. Most in California are still vehemently anticommunist.