Driving in Shanghai

For the past year I have been pondering the idea of driving here in Shanghai. At first I thought that the idea was crazy, but now I think that it would bring me a sense of freedom and happiness. I did the research and had Lei Lei make a phone call to the traffic police. If you have a valid driver's license from America, it is very easy to transfer it to a Chinese license.

Requirements are residence permit, driver's license, and work permit.

Here is what you do:

1.) Bring your American or other country's driver's license to 66 East Nanjing room 702 on the 7th floor for the translation that the police will take. The building is close to the Peace Hotel on the Bund. It took 5 minutes and costed 50rmb.

2.) Make copies of your passport picture page, residence permit, work permit and your driver's license. Any copy shop can do this for 5 jiao per page.

3.) Go to the police station that deals with driver's license in Xin Zhuang. The address is 179 Qingchun road gate #3. Take subway line 1 to Xinzhuang and the take a taxi to the police station. The taxi fee is only 11rmb.

4.) Go to building 11 and get your pictures taken. The photos there are only 40rmb. The photos have you chinese name and your new driver's license number on them. After getting your photo taken you can pick up the pictures in less than 5 minutes. The pictures are for your application, body check, and your driver's license.

5.) In the back of building 11 is the place for the body check. The cost is 60rmb and needs to be done here. It takes 20 minutes and they test you blood pressure, hearing, eye sight and check if you are color blind. The body check form is all in Chinese, so if you are not able to read and write Chinese I will suggest to bring someone who can. The body check doctors speak basic form of English and speaking alittle Chinese is always good.

6.) Go to building 8 room 200 on the second floor. Don't worry about all of the Chinese waiting there, there is a special room for foreigners. There you will give them your copies of the driver's license, passport, residence permit. Give them the translation of your driver's license, applications, and originals of your passport, driver's license, and residence permit. They will give you a test date and a copy of the test with the answers. My test date was in a week. The license is 55rmb.

7.) Return to building 8 on the test day and the time stated. Take the computer test. You have 45 minutes to answer 100 questions. A passing score is 90 and the top score is 99. 1 question is given that is why it is 99 for the top score. You will get your license 15 minutes after you pass the test. You will need to show work permit to show your address.

So for anyone who is brave enough to drive here, Good Luck!

You two are very brave. There's too much liability for foreigners,..., take a bus or call a cab.

Have you ever taken the bus on a rainy day during rush hour in Shanghai? Now that is an adventure with the goal of making it to work on time hahah.

You two are very brave. There's too much liability for foreigners,..., take a bus or call a cab.

Yep, someone posted about this a while back, it can complicate things if you have an accident this can prevent you from leaving China until after the matter has been settled.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32655

Police may prohibit foreigners involved in traffic accidents from leaving the country until the cases are settled.

The Ministry of Public Security (MPS) said on Wednesday this new authority has been added to the Provisions on the Procedures for Handling Traffic Accidents, and will take effect in January.

However, it will be subordinate to the Regulations of China Concerning Consular Privileges and Immunities as well as other international conventions and agreements signed between China and other countries and international organizations, the MPS said.

Wang Qiang, an official with MPS's traffic management bureau, said the provision conforms to international practices.

"Serious traffic accidents can lead to civil and criminal liability. Many other countries have similar regulations concerning foreigners involved in accidents," Wang told China Daily.

The country is now attracting more and more foreign visitors, and a situation may arise where a foreigner involved in a traffic accident leaves the country before the case is settled. This could delay court proceedings, and a failure to compensate.

"With more foreigners coming to China they could be involved in more road traffic accidents, the new provision helps protect their interests as well as the local people," Wang said.

Zhang Xinbao, a law professor with Renmin University of China, said the regulation also applies to the Chinese people.

"A Chinese citizen is also forbidden to leave the country when facing an unresolved lawsuit," Zhang said.

The provision also enables public security departments to request courts to grant the seizure of properties until cases are resolved. Police may also seize the driving licenses of foreigners covered by diplomatic immunity, and face investigation if they agree.

The payment of compensation or damage by foreign parties covered by diplomatic immunity will be solved through diplomatic channels if they refuse to be investigated.

MPS figures show that more than 44 million foreigners visited China in 2006, almost double the number in 2001.

About 70,000 foreigners reside in Beijing, and Shanghai has more than 300,000 foreign residents.

In Beijing, minor traffic accidents involving Chinese residents and foreigners can be dealt in the same manner as between Chinese, Mei Bingsong, an official with the Beijing municipal traffic management bureau, said.

"Remove the vehicles from the scene to prevent a traffic jam and discuss an agreement, or call the police if no agreement can be reached," Mei said.

Traffic police will be able to deal with the situation if damage is less than 2,000 yuan ($300).

If the accident is serious it will be reported to the bureau's foreign affairs department for further investigation.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-08...ent_6979340.htm

Yep, someone posted about this a while back, it can complicate things if you have an accident this can prevent you from leaving China until after the matter has been settled.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32655

Police may prohibit foreigners involved in traffic accidents from leaving the country until the cases are settled.

The Ministry of Public Security (MPS) said on Wednesday this new authority has been added to the Provisions on the Procedures for Handling Traffic Accidents, and will take effect in January.

However, it will be subordinate to the Regulations of China Concerning Consular Privileges and Immunities as well as other international conventions and agreements signed between China and other countries and international organizations, the MPS said.

Wang Qiang, an official with MPS's traffic management bureau, said the provision conforms to international practices.

"Serious traffic accidents can lead to civil and criminal liability. Many other countries have similar regulations concerning foreigners involved in accidents," Wang told China Daily.

The country is now attracting more and more foreign visitors, and a situation may arise where a foreigner involved in a traffic accident leaves the country before the case is settled. This could delay court proceedings, and a failure to compensate.

"With more foreigners coming to China they could be involved in more road traffic accidents, the new provision helps protect their interests as well as the local people," Wang said.

Zhang Xinbao, a law professor with Renmin University of China, said the regulation also applies to the Chinese people.

"A Chinese citizen is also forbidden to leave the country when facing an unresolved lawsuit," Zhang said.

The provision also enables public security departments to request courts to grant the seizure of properties until cases are resolved. Police may also seize the driving licenses of foreigners covered by diplomatic immunity, and face investigation if they agree.

The payment of compensation or damage by foreign parties covered by diplomatic immunity will be solved through diplomatic channels if they refuse to be investigated.

MPS figures show that more than 44 million foreigners visited China in 2006, almost double the number in 2001.

About 70,000 foreigners reside in Beijing, and Shanghai has more than 300,000 foreign residents.

In Beijing, minor traffic accidents involving Chinese residents and foreigners can be dealt in the same manner as between Chinese, Mei Bingsong, an official with the Beijing municipal traffic management bureau, said.

"Remove the vehicles from the scene to prevent a traffic jam and discuss an agreement, or call the police if no agreement can be reached," Mei said.

Traffic police will be able to deal with the situation if damage is less than 2,000 yuan ($300).

If the accident is serious it will be reported to the bureau's foreign affairs department for further investigation.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-08...ent_6979340.htm

After living here for 18 months with the possiblilty of not being able to get a visa for another year I felt that I will need to drive to stay sane. I live in Pudong District of Shanghai, it is not crowded here and I will only drive in Pudong. Also I will not drive like we drive in America. We drive everyday to work. I will continue to use public transportation during the work week.

I have many foreign friends that drive here and they all have never been in accidents. They do carry good insurance with a VIP membership that gives them good service. When they get into an accident they call the insurance company and they help out.

The rules for China are no different than in America. If you have a court case pending in America, you cannot leave the country. It is a felony I believe. :sweating_buckets:

Today I took the test. The test is all computerized and the questions are exactly the same as the test they give you to study. I received my driver's license about 20 minutes after finishing the test and it is valid for 6 years.

I did drive today to the supermarket, but I think that I will keep the driving on a minimum for awhile! B)