Carry the Passport or Copy

My wife currently carries her passport with the visa with her whenever we go out. She asked me if carrying a copy would be ok so we could lock her passport in our safe for safe keeping. I guess the same question could apply to a green card as well when she gets it.

What does you spouse carry?

Always kept passport safely stored away, my Yu did carry green-card for a short time, until she misplaced her wallet at the college, fortunately it was found and turned in at public safety, since then the only ID she carries is her learner's permit (State ID), and student ID for the college.

Replacing a lost NY ID is cheap, replacing a lost green-card or passport costs $$$$. I-90 fee is $370 replacing the passport would require a trip to NYC for a few days.

We carry the green-card only when traveling, or for trips into and out of Canada.

Always kept passport safely stored away, my Yu did carry green-card for a short time, until she misplaced her wallet at the college, fortunately it was found and turned in at public safety, since then the only ID she carries is her learner's permit (State ID), and student ID for the college.

Replacing a lost NY ID is cheap, replacing a lost green-card or passport costs $$$$. I-90 fee is $370 replacing the passport would require a trip to NYC for a few days.

We carry the green-card only when traveling, or for trips into and out of Canada.

So you would advocate carrying a copy for everyday when going out and about in our city?

Can you wait a few days?

She has SSN card now - so go get a Georgia ID card, then leave the passport and greencard both in the safe, carry a copy of the greencard in her purse with the George State ID card.

Just my 2 cents, but....

tn_gallery_8611_433_984.jpg

Can you wait a few days?

She has SSN card now - so go get a Georgia ID card, then leave the passport and greencard both in the safe, carry a copy of the greencard in her purse with the George State ID card.

Just my 2 cents, but....

tn_gallery_8611_433_984.jpg

So a Georgia ID card along with a green card copy would suffice if a policeman or other official would want to see if she was here legally?

Absolutely !!! IF and only IF Georgia is one of those 'must show SSN card to obtain State ID card' places. But...

assume for the moment you get stuck in the backwoods o Gawja...

and she's stopped and detained, thrown in the pokey till you come back with the originals... That entity is now guilty of unlawful detainment, and a judge can levy as much money as you ask for... But I digress.

Ya, a state ID and a copy of the green card is sufficient. I'm not a lawyer, though - suggest you ask one.

My wife currently carries her passport with the visa with her whenever we go out. She asked me if carrying a copy would be ok so we could lock her passport in our safe for safe keeping. I guess the same question could apply to a green card as well when she gets it.

What does you spouse carry?

OH MAN....a whole new set of problems to start worrying about, I can't wait!

Brian

So a Georgia ID card along with a green card copy would suffice if a policeman or other official would want to see if she was here legally?

The rule is that must carry green-card at all times, however a state ID looks the same for both US Citizen as well as a LPR, I doubt that any trouble will come of securing the green-card and carrying a photo copy of it along with state ID.

OH MAN....a whole new set of problems to start worrying about, I can't wait!

Brian

One more reason to file the N-400 and become a US Citizen ASAP. Citizens do not have these hassles.

During our AOS interview I mentioned about making a copy of the green card. I was told it was against the law to do so. However if you look at filing for citizenship they mention about sending them a "copy of your green card. ???????

Yes, as well as when filing form I-751 to remove conditions.

My wife would carry her student ID & Costco card (Executive Member :unsure: ) before she had a US one issued, passport stayed at home.

In California there is no law that says you have to carry an ID, only while operating a motor vehicle.

Carrying of Green-Card (ID) is not a state law it is FEDERAL.

What Does the Law Say?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor." The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring permanent resident card are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR ¡ì 264.5.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

My wife would carry her student ID & Costco card (Executive Member :unsure: ) before she had a US one issued, passport stayed at home.

In California there is no law that says you have to carry an ID, only while operating a motor vehicle.

Carrying of Green-Card (ID) is not a state law it is FEDERAL.

What Does the Law Say?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor." The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring permanent resident card are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR ¡ì 264.5.

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

Thanks Dan for the info and supplying the links. It looks like copies are out of the question.