Picking up my Fiancee

Hey, going out to GUZ soon to get her visa, get her medical papers, celebrate with a banquet, and then we're headed back to the US.

Is there anything I should be aware of? I know the packet of papers should not be opened, I have to guard her papers with extra care, but is there anything else to watch out for?

I know there is a ton of work for when we arrive, not counting our wedding preparations and such, such as the adjustment of status, SS application, and other stuff for conditional green card and other documents.

Wish me well. Would love to see some comments from those who already went and who could offer some advice.

It is pretty straight forward. Make sure you bring the mysterious brown envelope with he corner cut off. Take care to make sure she fills out the I-94 correctly. Many have reported that they accompanied their fianc¨¦e through the immigration line instead of the US citizens line with no problem

Have fun, you will get to see your world through her eyes.

Congratulations again, Jaseball!

Looks like you might know the litany of steps all ready.

You may have done this all ready too, but one thing that paid off in spades for me was making sure my wife had the means to communicate with her family and friends 'her way'. It was truly a nice tip from CFL about taking care of all her needs!

My wife basically walked into our home and sat down at 'our' :bounce8: computer and started using her programs, a Webcam and typing in Chinese to her family and friends back home. Then she used a cell phone I setup for her too, when it suited her. Everything was basically the same as she was used to back home with no frustration and no hassle.

Her need to communicate to this extent and even the daily frequency is much less now, but at first it was essential.

Have a great time!

Congratulations again, Jaseball!

Looks like you might know the litany of steps all ready.

You may have done this all ready too, but one thing that paid off in spades for me was making sure my wife had the means to communicate with her family and friends 'her way'. It was truly a nice tip from CFL about taking care of all her needs!

My wife basically walked into our home and sat down at 'our' :lol: computer and started using her programs, a Webcam and typing in Chinese to her family and friends back home. Then she used a cell phone I setup for her too, when it suited her. Everything was basically the same as she was used to back home with no frustration and no hassle.

Her need to communicate to this extent and even the daily frequency is much less now, but at first it was essential.

Have a great time!

Wow, I have to ditto this! it sounds exactly like my wife. I read all the "get ready tips" here, had qq and chinese input methods on the PC ready to go (the webcam was already in place), got her a cell phone, and she was off and running. She talked every day to her family and friends the first month or so, but like David, I've noticed it is quite a bit less frequently now. I guess at first her family and friends just wanted to know she was OK and happy, and everything was fine.

Jie brought back a lot of "chinese medicine" that she was used to, and some cooking spices and things like that, that she liked. That was a pretty good suggestion I got here from other members, and it helped a great deal I think, because she was not used to "western medicine", even the OTC stuff. The officers at customs looked at the stuff we brought and never blinked an eye. (I was worried :bounce8: ) At the risk of some TMI, I would suggest "feminine products" as a good thing for her to add to her list of things to bring from China to help her get started here, until she gets used to the packaging and labels here. Jie struggled with that a little, and I wasn't much help.

I would ditto the I-94 thing, I filled it out for Jie and her son just to make sure it was in order, and then when I started the AOs paperwork I paniced a little when the POE officer didn't write her A number on it like a lot of others did, but I was directed to other paperwork that had it on it, so it was mute anyway.

Enjoy the "cooler" weather there now, I was in GUZ in August, it should be pretty nice now.

take care,

Jeff

Thanks folks

Refresh my memory:

1) The I-94 is obtained when she enters the US? What is this again?

2) Also, we got blue slipped at first, but she got approval finally after an additional 6 month delay. She says at GUZ on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday they process the visa. I'm wondering if we turn in the passport will we get it back the following day, on Wednesday or if there is any way to tell? I remember some folks saying it took until the next week, which would put a severe cramp in our other travel plans.

3) The A number. This should be on her entry stamp in the passport? Is there anything additional to watch out for? I remember reading a long time ago that if they came in through JFK or some specific port they could get a stamp to start working or something else, but you have to ask for it.

Thanks folks

Refresh my memory:

1) The I-94 is obtained when she enters the US? What is this again?

2) Also, we got blue slipped at first, but she got approval finally after an additional 6 month delay. She says at GUZ on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday they process the visa. I'm wondering if we turn in the passport will we get it back the following day, on Wednesday or if there is any way to tell? I remember some folks saying it took until the next week, which would put a severe cramp in our other travel plans.

3) The A number. This should be on her entry stamp in the passport? Is there anything additional to watch out for? I remember reading a long time ago that if they came in through JFK or some specific port they could get a stamp to start working or something else, but you have to ask for it.

1) I-94 tends to be handed out on the international flight along with customs declaration form, instructions on filling it out may be in the in-flight magazine.

2) Turn in passport, and it will be in the visa packet that is sent to the nearby post office a few days later.

3) A# should be on I-129F NOA2 letter, you already have it.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/Immigration/I-129F-NOAs/NOA2.jpg

POE office at JFK MAY stamp passport with the temp 90 day EAD stamp. This is more to help you get SSN rather than work.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I arrived with my fiancee today at SFO. They gave her the I-94 on the plane. I accompanied her through customs where the agent opened the brown envelope and stamped a few pages plus the I-94.

The whole process took less than 15 minutes. The agent and his manager were very polite, congratulated us, and wished us good luck. :Dah:

It is pretty straight forward. Make sure you bring the mysterious brown envelope with he corner cut off. Take care to make sure she fills out the I-94 correctly. Many have reported that they accompanied their fianc¨¦e through the immigration line instead of the US citizens line with no problem

I-94?

What is this? And should I have one? This is the first I have heard / read about an I-94....

I-94?

What is this? And should I have one? This is the first I have heard / read about an I-94....

It is the arrival/departure recored given to all NON-Immigrants on the flight over to fill out and give to the POE officer upon arrival, the POE officer will attach the departure portion to the NON-Immigrant's passport.

K-Visas are NON-Immigrants and must have an I-94 card until they adjust status and become a green-card holder. After they get green-card the I-94 card can be discarded. A copy of this card is needed to be attached to AOS I-485 filing when adjusting status.

Example:

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/Immigration/I94/immigration1.jpg

More: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/...ing_out_i94.xml

Thanks.

Do I need to download this and have her fill it out?

And do I need it filled out and ready to go for the interview?

Nope, it is a pre printed card issued by DHS, and each card has a unique number on it, you just need to wait until you get one on the flight over, or in airport before seeing the POE officer, when entering the US of A.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thanks.

Do I need to download this and have her fill it out?

And do I need it filled out and ready to go for the interview?

Nope, it is a pre printed card issued by DHS, and each card has a unique number on it, you just need to wait until you get one on the flight over, or in airport before seeing the POE officer, when entering the US of A.

Cool. Just checking.

Thanks!