K1 vs Spousal Visa

Hello,

An Uncle of mine who use to work in China governmental areas said I should have Married my Fiance in China so you have proof that you two are together. Also that he did not believe there was any other way of bringing her to the USA. I told him we have the K1 Visa and he wasn't sure of it but gave me his blessing and hope that all will be ok. He told me that wouldn't it be faster for you to Marry in China and then apply for her to come to USA? Also he said even if there was a Fiance Visa, China would not approve young woman leaving the Country. Got me worried! What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Vinny

We did K-1 because it was the quickest option, NO problems.

CR-1 (Spousal) tends to take a few months longer, and K-3 is an option on the CR-1 that MAY shave a month or so off the time that a CR-1 can take, but the K-3 has the Down side of not being work auth so tends to have a 3+ month period of limbo after arrival to the USA, waiting for SSN, EAD and/or green-card.

K-1 is best for speed, CR-1 is best for simplicity after arriving in the USA.

The only fast visa is CR-1 when filed for while US citizen is living in China longer than 6 months, the visa can be filed for directly through the consulate, but this requires at least 6 months residency in China before can file for the visa.

I am a young Chinese woman and the country let me leave with K1 in August. I believe it has little to do with Chinese government but a lot to do with whether the US would let us in or not.

Hello,

An Uncle of mine who use to work in China governmental areas said I should have Married my Fiance in China so you have proof that you two are together. Also that he did not believe there was any other way of bringing her to the USA. I told him we have the K1 Visa and he wasn't sure of it but gave me his blessing and hope that all will be ok. He told me that wouldn't it be faster for you to Marry in China and then apply for her to come to USA? Also he said even if there was a Fiance Visa, China would not approve young woman leaving the Country. Got me worried! What does everyone think?

Thanks,

Vinny

Edited by joannaliu (see edit history)

I am a young Chinese woman and the country let me leave with K1 in August. I believe it has little to do with Chinese government but a lot to do with whether the US let us in.

Exactly! China has mo problem with allowing people to leave China, it is the USA that places restrictions on immigrations.

We went with the K1 Fiance visa. I believe it is quicker and a good test of a relationship. You will have to work togeter to complete the forms, learn a lot about each other and survive some rather difficult moments. We had no difficulties with the Chinese side of the government equasion. The US government is a bit anal about their paperwork.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a good question. I asked this question in person to an Immigration Officer in Kansas City, Missouri. I had to schedule an InfoPass appointment online first to meet her.

The Immigration Officer was very friendly and helpful. She replied that the best and fastest way to bring my fiance (or wife) over was to get married first. She explained the process of filing to me very thoroughly and provided notes on a sheet of paper for me. She was happy to learn that I was a graduate student and wished me good luck in life.

She said the K-3 option would be better than the K-1. This was back in March 2008 was when I met this Immigration Officer. I need to file the I-130 and the I-129F. From reading what people post on "Candle for Love", this contradicts that.

I think there maybe such an enormous amount of applications being file for the K-1 that the US government has to reject more petitions, which would explain why she stated that this method is the best.

Either method you choose, I wish you good luck.

That's a good question. I asked this question in person to an Immigration Officer in Kansas City, Missouri. I had to schedule an InfoPass appointment online first to meet her.

The Immigration Officer was very friendly and helpful. She replied that the best and fastest way to bring my fiance (or wife) over was to get married first. She explained the process of filing to me very thoroughly and provided notes on a sheet of paper for me. She was happy to learn that I was a graduate student and wished me good luck in life.

She said the K-3 option would be better than the K-1. This was back in March 2008 was when I met this Immigration Officer. I need to file the I-130 and the I-129F. From reading what people post on "Candle for Love", this contradicts that.

I think there maybe such an enormous amount of applications being file for the K-1 that the US government has to reject more petitions, which would explain why she stated that this method is the best.

Statistics actually say K-1 is faster and has a slightly higher approval rating than the K-3. That's the only reason I went the K-1 route. Not to mention getting married in China has its own paperwork nightmares.

:cheering: Good Luck!

. . . China would not approve young woman leaving the Country.

:lol: I don't know why, but that line in your post reminded me of this.

China's Mao Offered to Send 10 Million Women to U.S. in 1973

Email | Print | A A A

By Nipa Piboontanasawat

Feb. 13 (Bloomberg) -- China's former leader Mao Zedong proposed to give 10 million Chinese women to the U.S. to boost the U.S. population, increase trade and cause ``disasters,'' according to a document released by the U.S. Department of State.

In a meeting Feb. 17, 1973 in Beijing, Mao told Henry Kissinger, Richard Nixon's national security adviser, that women could solve the two countries' lack of commerce.

``The trade between our two countries at present is very pitiful,'' Mao said. ``You know China is a very poor country. We don't have much. What we have in excess is women.''

Kissinger responded jokingly by saying there were no quotas or tariffs for women.

``So if you want them we can give a few of those to you, some tens of thousands,'' Mao replied. Later in the conversation, he offered 10 million.

``In our country we have too many women, and they have a way of doing things,'' Mao said. ``They give birth to children and our children are too many. Let them go to your place. They will create disasters. That way you can lessen our burdens.''

Mao concluded the conversation by saying his comments on Chinese females were ``nonsense'' and ``begged the pardon of the women of China.''

The 268-page document released by the State Department is the first chapter in a volume called ``Foreign Relations of the United States, 1969-1976, Volume XVIII, China, 1973-1976.''

Edited by Batmaniac (see edit history)

Statistics actually say K-1 is faster and has a slightly higher approval rating than the K-3. That's the only reason I went the K-1 route. Not to mention getting married in China has its own paperwork nightmares.

:( Good Luck!

And what exactly are those nightmares? spoken from experience?Hmmm, 1 hour to single certificate and then the little red book. Yeah, a total nighmare.

from a chinese perspective , many have married in china filed k3 or cr-1, visa denied, then usc divorce her. then she is in a bad time as no chinese man will marry her after she has married man from other country.

so for chinese k-1 can be seen as safer

Thank You For All That Responded!!

Since I already hired a K1 Attorney that specializes in China, I will have to go this route. I hope I do not regret that I should have Married my Fiance in China and gone the K3 route.

:(

There is no problem with the Chinese government not letting your fianc¨¦e leave. They have too many people in China, they are not fussy about letting some of them leave.

As far as hiring a lawyer, remember this, no one cares more about your petition than you do. Double and triple check every thing the lawyer does. There are many here who can atest that some lawyers screw up petitions and made things worse instead of better. Good luck and a fast visa process.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Thank You For All That Responded!!

Since I already hired a K1 Attorney that specializes in China, I will have to go this route. I hope I do not regret that I should have Married my Fiance in China and gone the K3 route.

:(

There is no problem with the Chinese government not letting your fiancée leave. They have too many people in China, they are not fussy about letting some of them leave.

As far as hiring a lawyer, remember this, no one cares more about your petition than you do. Double and triple check every thing the lawyer does. There are many here who can atest that some lawyers screw up petitions and made things worse instead of better. Good luck and a fast visa process.

Carl it is refreshing to know that the attorneys in China are nearly as bad as the ones that pretend to be attorneys here in the US. I thought it was an American cancer. It has now become an International one.