Financial aide for step-daughter's college

Did you call around to the Junior Colleges in a 150 mile radius ?

There's only one community college within 150 miles (although it has satellite schools). You are correct, I should probably do that.

First let me clarify. My stepdaughters scholarships were not based on my income-they were academic. She can also get $11,000.00 per year from the VA for four years but we elected not to take that as she plans on grad school so we're saving it. She is now in community college-a great choice as her scholarships cover all of it plus she gets an extra $3,000. per year for gas 'n such. Community college is VERY affordable and all of her first two years will transfer to a major college. Her degree will be from the major college (she is going to the same community college I went to before transferring to WKU and eventually to grad school).

Scholarships are very different than fed aid. Fed aid is mostly income based. Unless you make less than 50K yearly, you likley won't be eligible for anything UNLESS she can get listed as an independent student-then they base it on her income. Not so easy to do though.

At any rate, assuming she is a senior in HS this year, talk to her guidance counselor. It is their job to find her a scholarship. You will be amazed how many are available-even for C students.

good luck

It appears that we're stuck in a catch-22.....

We cannot apply for the FAFSA until my step-daughter has her green card and SSN.

The deadlines for applications at the schools my step-daughter hopes to attend are in December & in January. The chances of having an AOS interview by then appear very slim.

Perhaps we could get the Green Card stamp if we get and pass an AOS interview in the March/April timeframe, but that gums up the works for the schools that she wants.

And most of the admissions counselors I've talked with say they cannot let her into school without a green card or a student visa.

Is there a number with a warm body on the other end in the AOS office in CA?

Griz - that just bites. I'm sorry for the news, but maybe it's for the best. FWIW, I would give another call-in to a nursing school, see what's going on there. If she can get a deal, MAYBE 80 percent of the courses she takes that first year can transfer to the Big School later.

OR - hey - maybe it's time to think about a Certified Nursing Assistants Slot? see http://www.sjlm.org/cna_training.html and give em a call. At least she'd be busy whilst she's waiting to get OUT of limbo.

I don't think she'll need a greencard to ATTEND the training or TAKE the exam, but who knows afterwards??? If she gets balky about it, remind her she'll be meeting YOUNG DOCTORS on the job.

Two things from the application:

There is no charge to individuals who receive training, and your participation in this program is strictly voluntary.

Therefore, you are not entitled to wages or benefits from the facility or St. John's Lutheran Home while you are going

through this program. Under no circumstances or conditions is this training program to be considered as an offer

of or a guarantee of employment with St. John's Lutheran Home.

Admission Policy

1) To participate in this program, you must be at least 18 years of age, and be able to speak, read, write and understand

English well.

NO WHERE does it talk about 'employment eligibility status'.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)