Financial aide for step-daughter's college

My 18 year old step-daughter wants to go to university, so we've been working on it. January 1st we can start working on the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid)...HOWEVER...

I do not think she qualifies per the definitions that I found:

"You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

• U.S. citizen

• U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain¡¯s Island)

• U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)"

Universities do not want her to apply as an International student, but rather as a domestic student. Filing as a domestic student we do not qualify for fill out some of the forms required for admission to the universities (FAFSA) is required by 4 of the 5 universities she's interested in.

Is this a catch-22 or a state of limbo? :unsure:

Anyone know about this situation?

If all goes well she may get her temporary green card this spring or early summer.

I am also not keen on her eligibility for financial aid being based on my financial records. :eatyum:

I went through this in a prior life.

I paid 1st semester international rates, 2nd semester 'out-of-state' rates, then 3rd semester was normal state resident rates.

Rules will vary by state, I suppose..

She will be eligible to apply for FAFSA when she has green card in hand. A paper stamp in the passport isn't enough.

FWIW, some junior colleges aren't as strick as the big uni's about this.

Processing the FAFSA, though, only gives her a 'number' - similar to a beacon score. Above a certain 'threshold', she won't qualify. Below that threshold, she'll qualify for grants.

As of today, I think she is in LIMBO state.

Yep, need green-card (I-551) to get financial aid.

I found that as long as financial aid is not in the form of cash to the recipient is not considered to means tested so does not count against the I-864.

But yes she needs green-card.

One last note, it is a CONDITIONAL-Green-Card, it is NOT "Temporary" they are considered to be a Lawful PERMANENT Resident with the condition that the K-1 or K-3 is still in a bona fide marital relationship at 2 years of PERMANENT residency.

I got lucky with my Yu, I enrolled her in college before she had green-card, since I work at the college, their is NO tuition, just books, lab fees, and activity fee.

...well the admissions office really threw a money wrench...

The admissions officer told my step-daughter she could not apply as a K2 and needed to apply for either a F1 or J1 visa.

As you all know well, we American men know nothing and anyone who works in any position of authority knows more than we will ever know :unsure:

OYE!

:)

:)

:angry:

Ask if they will supply the I-20 form that she needs to apply for an F-1

I don't know if she can apply for an F-1 while here on a K-2, but it might be worth looking in to. I'm guessing she can.

Otherwise, she would have to wait for her green card, or go to another school ( some are more adept at dealing with these issues than others).

Griz - get a collection of 2nd opinions at the junior colleges within a 150 mile radius.

You stated in your original post, " am also not keen on her eligibility for financial aid being based on my financial records."

If she was NOT to be considered, based on YOUR financial records, then she'd have to be declared an independent student. There are stringent rules for these, have a look around with FAFSA's definitions.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

My 18 year old step-daughter wants to go to university, so we've been working on it. January 1st we can start working on the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid)...HOWEVER...

I do not think she qualifies per the definitions that I found:

"You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:

• U.S. citizen

• U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain¡¯s Island)

• U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)"

Universities do not want her to apply as an International student, but rather as a domestic student. Filing as a domestic student we do not qualify for fill out some of the forms required for admission to the universities (FAFSA) is required by 4 of the 5 universities she's interested in.

Is this a catch-22 or a state of limbo? :unsure:

Anyone know about this situation?

If all goes well she may get her temporary green card this spring or early summer.

I am also not keen on her eligibility for financial aid being based on my financial records. :angry:

As long as she has a green card their is no problem. My stepdaughter is in college on a full ride. YES!! you can fill out the FAFSA forms and YES she will be eligible as long as she is a legal resident, NOT an international student!!! Of course your income is taken into account but at the minimum, you and she will be able to get loans etc..

On a side note-If she absolutely needs the green card, Maybe, just maybe, USCIS will do a 551 stamp for you!?!?!?!?

I doubt this, the AOS has not been approved yet, just transferred to CSC per griz326 signature.

Hope the adjudicator approves it soon, from what I have been seeing CSC tends to approve within 2-3 months after transfer.

In thinking more about this, I cannot figure out what we gain my trying to get an F-1 visa. After reading the information, it seems that the brass ring (green card) is just a few months away and that the I-20 for an F-1 doesn't buy anything except the possibility of conflicting with her AOS and trouble.

Have I digested the information correctly?

I see where the 551 stamp may be helpful if there is an AOS interview in January or February. ...but who really knows when the interview will come.

In thinking more about this, I cannot figure out what we gain my trying to get an F-1 visa. After reading the information, it seems that the brass ring (green card) is just a few months away and that the I-20 for an F-1 doesn't buy anything except the possibility of conflicting with her AOS and trouble.

Have I digested the information correctly?

I see where the 551 stamp may be helpful if there is an AOS interview in January or February. ...but who really knows when the interview will come.

The F-1 is an idea. It may or may not fit your circumstances. Jiaying's green card was on a "next month" basis since March, and a "who really knows" basis since June, 2006.

An immigration lawyer can fill you in on any "possibility of conflicting with her AOS or trouble".

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I would stay away from an F-1 visa in it's entirety. The young-un already has a pending 'thing' going on with USCIS, and to throw in another visa app with DOS is gonna be troublesome - everyone will get confused.... Them GS-5's checking yer paperwork, well, I wouldn't put much faith in them these days (Just IMO).

Did you call around to the Junior Colleges in a 150 mile radius ?