Divorce/Single Certificates

Hi again everyone... xiaomin and I are ready to assemble our K-1 package, and I was wondering if we needed my divorce certificate(s) and her single certificate to go along with the I-129F (since it asks about prior spouses) ??? We're both having "issues" getting these documents in a reasonable amount of time.

Marriage in China has discusses danshenzhengming better know to us as the certificate of marriageability (new word 'eh?). Also see the PRC How to get married in China which is what we did (and filed the CR1).

I live in Texas and this is what I did:

1. Obtained a ceritified copy of my divorce decree.
  2. Filled out and notarized the single document.
  3. Sent both to the Texas Secretary of State to confirm that the County Clerk certifying the divorce decree is really who they claim to be and that the Notary Public really is what he said he is.
  4. Sent that to the Consulate (Houston) and received back the danshenzhengming

Good Luck!

Marriage in China has discusses danshenzhengming better know to us as the certificate of marriageability (new word 'eh?). Also see the PRC How to get married in China which is what we did (and filed the CR1).

3. Sent both to the Texas Secretary of State to confirm that the County Clerk certifying the divorce decree is really who they claim to be and that the Notary Public really is what he said he is.

Good Luck!

Oh my! I'll say that's a new word. I think I'll leave the pronunciation of it up to xiaomin! But do we need those certificates to go along with the I-129F (Initial K-1 Package) ??? It doesn't say we do... Oh, we're getting married here in the States.

Edited by Jerry & xiaomin (see edit history)

Good Luck!

Oh my! I'll say that's a new word. I think I'll leave the pronunciation of it up to xiaomin! But do we need those certificates to go along with the I-129F (Initial K-1 Package) ??? It doesn't say we do... Oh, we're getting married here in the States.

Ok, I got it now (yes I am slow). The US Gov may ask for some declaration from you in filing the I-129F. The PRC is not actively involved in the K1 process per se. Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.

13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

A single certificate would be used for marriage within china not a k-1

requirement. (correct me if I am wrong)

I would have 3-4 copies made up as you will need them later. an example would be a marriage licence in the US. Our government sometimes will lose your papers also. Make a copy of anything you file for later reference. During AOS interview I pulled out papers faster than the officer could look for them in our file.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

Copy of final Divorce Decree(s) or Certificate(s) for the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) if either has been previously married. If the previous marriage of the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) ended due to the death of their spouse then include a Copy of Death Certificate(s) documenting that fact.

13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

I would have 3-4 copies made up as you will need them later. an example would be a marriage licence in the US. Our government sometimes will lose your papers also. Make a copy of anything you file for later reference. During AOS interview I pulled out papers faster than the officer could look for them in our file.

Okay great, cuz I can get my divorce decree easier then she can get her Single Certificate. Long story. I'll post it when It's not so late and I can see straight. Thanx LostBlu...

Divorce cert + English translation is needed for the K-1 I-129F package to USCIS, goes to prove free-to marry at the time of filing. This is in the I-129F directions:

D. If either you or your fianc¨¦(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-129Finstr.pdf

Certificate of marriageability is needed to be acquired for visa interview, this is stipulated by the consulate's OF-169 instructions included with P3 sent to beneficiary from the consulate.

Marital Status Certificates:

The consulate requires married persons to present a certified copy of their marriage certificate. Applicants who have married in the People's Republic of China must have a marriage certificate issue by a local notary public office. Unmarried persons, at marriageable age, must submit a certified copy of their unmarried certificate (with one year of validity). The Consulate also requires proof of termination of any marriages (e.g. death certificate of spouse, final decree of divorce or annulment).

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...ts_-_OF-169.pdf

Divorce cert + English translation is needed for the K-1 I-129F package to USCIS, goes to prove free-to marry at the time of filing. This is in the I-129F directions:

D. If either you or your fianc¨¦(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-129Finstr.pdf

Certificate of marriageability is needed to be acquired for visa interview, this is stipulated by the consulate's OF-169 instructions included with P3 sent to beneficiary from the consulate.

Marital Status Certificates:

The consulate requires married persons to present a certified copy of their marriage certificate. Applicants who have married in the People's Republic of China must have a marriage certificate issue by a local notary public office. Unmarried persons, at marriageable age, must submit a certified copy of their unmarried certificate (with one year of validity). The Consulate also requires proof of termination of any marriages (e.g. death certificate of spouse, final decree of divorce or annulment).

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up...ts_-_OF-169.pdf

Ahhh, okay, so she'll need her single cert. for her package to GZ. Hopefully she'll be able to get it by the time she needs to send her stuff in. Thanks :roller:

Ahhh, okay, so she'll need her single cert. for her package to GZ. Hopefully she'll be able to get it by the time she needs to send her stuff in. Thanks :roller:

Plenty of time to get the single cert after the consulate sends out P3, my you returned the OF-169, and DS-230 from P3, and then got her Police Cert, Birth Cert, and Un-Married Cert before getting P-4.

For filing with the K-1 :::

I'm scratching my heid, but I think she'll need her divorce certificate -

translated and this translation notarized.

YOU will need to file YOUR divorce certificates.

When she is AT the interview, 5 to 11 months from initial date o YOU filing the I-129F for the K-1, she'll need a certificate of marriageability, translated into English and this translation also notarized. Dead easy for her to get this in China.