Pro-inflammatory Omega 6 fatty acids

Recently I visited the doctor for some lower back pain complaints and one of the suggestions of treatment was some anti-inflammatory medicine.

I happened to pick up some herbal formula anti-inflammatory stuff from the health food store today, and among the instructions, it suggested replacing any pro-inflammatory Omega 6 fatty acids found in cooking oils (corn, safflower, cottonseed, peanut, and sunflower) and replacing with extra virgin olive oil.

Well I cook with those bad oils all the time when I stir fry. I have never tried to stir fry with Olive Oil. I am curious if anyone else is having inflammatory issues now that they are having more stir fry foods in their diet?

TimB

Stay away from Extra-virgin for stir-frying

-----------------------------------

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/cookingfaq...fryoliveoil.htm

"There are three grades of olive oil: extra-virgin, virgin and olive oil (this last grade is also called pure olive oil). For stir-frying, it¡¯s best to stick with olive oil, and stay away from the extra-virgin and virgin grades. Standard olive oil goes through a more rigorous refining process than extra-virgin and virgin olive oils. This gives it a higher smoking point, meaning that it can take the high heat needed for stir-frying."

Guest WenDylan

"There are three grades of olive oil: extra-virgin, virgin and olive oil (this last grade is also called pure olive oil). For stir-frying, it¡¯s best to stick with olive oil, and stay away from the extra-virgin and virgin grades. Standard olive oil goes through a more rigorous refining process than extra-virgin and virgin olive oils. This gives it a higher smoking point, meaning that it can take the high heat needed for stir-frying."

:D

I live with Crohn's... which is basically an inflammation nightmare. It is so hard to find what is good and bad. A lot of the tricks of the trade work, but for best results, recognize what your body can tolerate, as everyone's is definitely a different machine.

Be careful with so many seeds and nuts too, because as well they are good, they are harder to digest. :lol:

Guest Tony n Terrific

Olive oil is one of the best oils to cook with for a healthier you. I use it all the time as well as a good veggie oil. Each have their purpose. You may want too look at alternate foods also. Such as Salmon fresh or frozen forget the can stuff.

tonado - I second you on this position. High Heat with extra virgin OO (EVOO) ? You gots a black smoking mess in da wok. Always (well, ALWAYS when yer using High Heat).

tonado - I second you on this position. High Heat with extra virgin OO (EVOO) ? You gots a black smoking mess in da wok. Always (well, ALWAYS when yer using High Heat).

My wife has been giving extra virgin olive oil the test for the last 11 days. She says there is no abnormal smoke and I can tell ya the food taste GREAT!!!! Now just maybe she doesn't get it hot enough to cause the extra smoke but I am not one to question my Chinese wife that has been cooking in a wok all of her life. :)

My wife has been giving extra virgin olive oil the test for the last 11 days. She says there is no abnormal smoke and I can tell ya the food taste GREAT!!!! Now just maybe she doesn't get it hot enough to cause the extra smoke but I am not one to question my Chinese wife that has been cooking in a wok all of her life. :)

Cuzin' Chawls, have you found her a wok large enough for a complete Bambi? :)

tsap seui

"There are three grades of olive oil: extra-virgin, virgin and olive oil (this last grade is also called pure olive oil). For stir-frying, it??s best to stick with olive oil, and stay away from the extra-virgin and virgin grades. Standard olive oil goes through a more rigorous refining process than extra-virgin and virgin olive oils. This gives it a higher smoking point, meaning that it can take the high heat needed for stir-frying."

My wife has been giving extra virgin olive oil the test for the last 11 days. She says there is no abnormal smoke and I can tell ya the food taste GREAT!!!! Now just maybe she doesn't get it hot enough to cause the extra smoke but I am not one to question my Chinese wife that has been cooking in a wok all of her life. :D

Alright - tell me about the kitchen set up... Gas or electric? Re-formed gas burners to make conical flame pyramid? re-formed metal rack to hold the wok? If all of this is YES, then she's cooking on med or low heat, and not high.

HIGH HEAT with the right gear sounds like a BD-5 jet engine.

"There are three grades of olive oil: extra-virgin, virgin and olive oil (this last grade is also called pure olive oil). For stir-frying, it??s best to stick with olive oil, and stay away from the extra-virgin and virgin grades. Standard olive oil goes through a more rigorous refining process than extra-virgin and virgin olive oils. This gives it a higher smoking point, meaning that it can take the high heat needed for stir-frying."

My wife has been giving extra virgin olive oil the test for the last 11 days. She says there is no abnormal smoke and I can tell ya the food taste GREAT!!!! Now just maybe she doesn't get it hot enough to cause the extra smoke but I am not one to question my Chinese wife that has been cooking in a wok all of her life. :D

Alright - tell me about the kitchen set up... Gas or electric? Re-formed gas burners to make conical flame pyramid? re-formed metal rack to hold the wok? If all of this is YES, then she's cooking on med or low heat, and not high.

HIGH HEAT with the right gear sounds like a BD-5 jet engine.

:D she cooks on an electric range with a carbon steel wok.