GC interview 2.5 month before 2 yrs of marriage

yay, I got a notice for "initial interview" on Jan. 6. We'll be married for 2 yrs on March 20. I'm wondering if I should just go and take the risk of getting a 2-yr GC or postpone for a little later and make sure I get a 10-yr GC. How long will they take to mail me the GC after the interview? Any chance they'll still mail me the 10-yr GC after the Jan. 6 interview? What're the thoughts of you experienced? ;-)

Also, why is it called "initial interview?" My hubby's worried that there'll be more than 1 interview. haha...

yay, I got a notice for "initial interview" on Jan. 6. We'll be married for 2 yrs on March 20. I'm wondering if I should just go and take the risk of getting a 2-yr GC or postpone for a little later and make sure I get a 10-yr GC. How long will they take to mail me the GC after the interview? Any chance they'll still mail me the 10-yr GC after the Jan. 6 interview? What're the thoughts of you experienced? ;-)

Also, why is it called "initial interview?" My hubby's worried that there'll be more than 1 interview. haha...

If you are approved on Jan 6 they will send you a 2 year card, no doubt on this. Rescheduling is a good idea, everyone has time conflicts with appointments. But at the interview don't tell them you wanted to wait until after your 2nd anniversary as the reason for rescheduling. :huh:

You can go to INFOPASS to do this online.

WHAT IF I NEED TO RESCHEDULE MY APPOINTMENT?

InfoPass allows you to cancel or reschedule appointments using the identification numbers at the bottom of your appointment confirmation notice.

• To allow us to serve the most customers possible, please cancel your appointment if you cannot make it at the appointed time. There is no penalty for rescheduling or canceling an appointment.

• If you lose your appointment notice, you can print a replacement by accessing InfoPass and entering the information requested.

Besides it will save you the fee for the I-751 and everyone loves to save money. :lol:

If you are approved at the interview your green card could arrive in as little as 30 days, but sometimes it takes longer.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

i think on your interview notice, it states that you can only reschedule your appointment under emergency situations. and even if you are able to reschedule it for another date, they might give you a date before your 2nd anniversary since you have 2.5 months room. it's your shot, but if you do and lucky enough to reschedule to date behond your 2nd anniversary date, make sure you get a confirmation that your appointment has been rescheduled, otherwise it might mess up everything, you know how the people in the govement work..they could be very forgetful sometimes.....so good luck...if you are worried about money and want to life condition later...you are safer going to your original appointment.

Others who were close to this time have used different methods to delay the approval, from rescheduling to claiming not to have documents that were required at the interview.

Emergencies that require a rescheduling would be like getting into a car wreck on the way to the interview and you would simply miss the interview and be forced to reschedule because you missed it.

I don't believe the InfoPass rescheduling mentions an emergency requirement to reschedule.

But the decision is up to each persons comfort level.

Others who were close to this time have used different methods to delay the approval, from rescheduling to claiming not to have documents that were required at the interview.

Emergencies that require a rescheduling would be like getting into a car wreck on the way to the interview and you would simply miss the interview and be forced to reschedule because you missed it.

I don't believe the InfoPass rescheduling mentions an emergency requirement to reschedule.

how much later were those people able to reschedule the interview? They should be able to pick the date themselves on the InfoPass website, right?

how much later were those people able to reschedule the interview? They should be able to pick the date themselves on the InfoPass website, right?

Info pass sit is for scheduling a time to visit the field office to discuss matters with an immigrations officer, matters like rescheduling the AOS interview, you dont use info-pass site to reschedule the AOS interview, you use the resulting visit to the field office to do that.

Try calling the 800 number and asking about rescheduling.

There should be instructions on your appointment letter about how to reschedule.

Thank you!

I think now Doug's scared of things going wrong and wants to just go with the original interview date. :D

didn't mean to scare you. please read the following link:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164408

Wow, that topic is enough to scare the hell out of anyone.

A bit more checking and it seems that the USCIS is not following the policy concerning rescheduling and handling many as failure to appear.Aytes Letter 11-23-05 even when a change of address has been sent, received and a cancellation of the original interview was sent due to the change of address.

The decision is open for appeal if they hit you with Failure to appear, but there are many who advise attending the interview no matter the cost.

But one way to delay the approval process is to have accidentally forgotten to bring a key piece of evidence, such as employment letter or tax returns for the most recent year especially the Affidavit of Support was sent just prior to you filing the tax return. You can drag out the approval process a bit more and possibly get the additional time needed to make it past the 2nd anniversary.

The problem is that things like changes of address, and interview rescheduling don't always take everywhere they need to.

We've seen interview notices, which can't be forwarded, mailed to the old address. If your file shows up on your original date, they call your name and you're not there - you're immediately flagged as a no-show. It takes money (and time) to appeal this, as much as a year.

The problem is that things like changes of address, and interview rescheduling don't always take everywhere they need to.

We've seen interview notices, which can't be forwarded, mailed to the old address. If your file shows up on your original date, they call your name and you're not there - you're immediately flagged as a no-show. It takes money (and time) to appeal this, as much as a year.

Yep, happened to woainilin

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=22057&hl=

Had to appeal: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=25882&hl=

wah...dramatic.... :D

We'll just stick with Jan. 6 then. =X

If they ask for something like tax returns or employment letter you could always look confused and claim you forgot to get it. Then they will usually finish up the interview and issue you an RFE. If you get lucky you will have time enough to submit the evidence so that it puts you past the anniversary.

One member did that and ended up with the approved date being the interview date, there just isn't always justice when you want it. :lol:

wah...dramatic.... :P

We'll just stick with Jan. 6 then. =X

If they ask for something like tax returns or employment letter you could always look confused and claim you forgot to get it. Then they will usually finish up the interview and issue you an RFE. If you get lucky you will have time enough to submit the evidence so that it puts you past the anniversary.

One member did that and ended up with the approved date being the interview date, there just isn't always justice when you want it. :rolleyes:

haha thanks Lee!