AOS rejected

Got our I-485 and I-765 back in the mail today rejected by the San Francisco office. The only reason given is "checks need to be printed". The orginal forms were returned along with my three personal checks. Each made out to BCIS ($225, $50, and $120).

What the heck does "checks need to be printed" mean? I'm not 100% sure that the last word is "printed". The handwriting on the note is not that legible.

The San Francisco office no longer accepts I-485 applications submitted in person. Only by mail. Anybody know a phone number I can call to get a clarification?

Thanks -Dave

Guest Long_strider

Hi Dave,

Seems that things differ from office to office.

In Oregon we submitted the AOS documents in person with handwritten personal checks and experienced no difficulties.

However, they would not accept the 50.00 check for fingerprinting when we went to the BCIS office in Portland. I have read several other posts in the other section of CFL where the applications were sent back when people sent in the $50.00 check for finger printing. Maybe this is the problem and they were referring to finger "printing" in their barely legible handwriting.

About 6 weeks after we applied in person for AOS, they sent us a receipt in the mail telling us we would have an interview in about 7 months. We were also told that we would be sent a request for the time and place to go for the fingerprinting and at that time we were to pay the 50.00 dollars.

Let me suggest that you consider two things

1. Use printed money orders or cashiers checks from the bank

2. Do not sent the finger print $50.00 unless they specifically requested a check in this amount for fingerprinting fee.

That should address both of the potential issues raised.

Hope this helps.

Mi

• 2 weeks later...

We resubmitted the application with the checks made out to "Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services" instead of "BCIS". I checked my bank account and see that the checks were deposited a couple of days ago. So apparently "Checks need to be printed" means spell out BCIS!

It took extreme care (I'm left handed) to get all that to fit neatly on the check. I felt like making the checks out to my favorite goverment agency name: "The Department of Redundancy Department"!

-Dave ;)