Where in the US to Move

Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to locate to after my wife and son moves here from China.

I'd like to get feedback on areas where there's a Chinese population so my wife won't feel so Culture Shocked and my son can attend Chinese Cultural activties.

Some ideas are:

Irvine Ca (nice but very expensive)

Sugarland Tx (I have a Chinese friend who lives here and likes it).

That's all I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to locate to after my wife and son moves here from China.

I'd like to get feedback on areas where there's a Chinese population so my wife won't feel so Culture Shocked and my son can attend Chinese Cultural activties.

Some ideas are:

Irvine Ca (nice but very expensive)

Sugarland Tx (I have a Chinese friend who lives here and likes it).

That's all I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What do you want? Cheap or nice? In between.

San Francisco is very nice, but cost a lot. Parts of New York City are very Chinese, but very expensive. East of LA has a long stretch along Interstate 10 that is mostly Chinese, again expensive.

Irvine is very expensive, but again also very Chinese.

If you have the money CA is most likely the best place to make your spouse feel like they never left china.

Talk with your spouse and see if they want city, or country. Do they want to use a bus everyday? Subway? Drive?

Some do not want to live in City. Some can not imagine anything but living in a big city.

Edited by Don (see edit history)

If I had the money I would live in Irvine. Lived there before (Costa Mesa) and loved it. But, again, it's expensive.

We want to be somewhat free of a financial overhead. So, if we want to take off to China on a whim we could do that.

In California the financial overhead is too much.

So, what else is there. We like to be near nature too. I'm an avid Jeeper and like getting out in the woods. We also like warmer weather. I'm currently in Florida which is not bad but not much of a Chinese Cultural imprint here.

I guess there's Phoenix. Anyone live there?

Looking for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Chicago has a LARGE Chinatown and Chinese culture but it's also very close to a bad part of town.

Here in Huntsville, AL there's a LOT of Chinese culture. We have lots of international companies staking claim here because the cost of living is so suprisingly low. (Gotta love paying $650/month for a 3 bdrm/2bth home on a corner lot with a huge yard) We've got various Chinese things going on and lots of mixing of cultures and asian supermarkets.

Than again i'm biased lol, but it really is great here for cost of living and amount of asian culture

Alabama, wow, I never would have thought of that. My friend who is marrying a Chinese woman is from LA (Lower Alabama) but is living in Florida.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll look into it. I bet there's some good wilderness around there too.

Oh the wilderness is amazing. in the upper part of Huntsville is Monte Sano mountain. Not to mention you can move into Madison (the city right beside Huntsville) and the cost of living is cheaper, amazing people, and the neighborhoods are fantastic. Also there's Bob Jones High School which is my alma mater and definitely the better out of the schools in Huntsville or Madison.

I've attempted to move away from Huntsville many times but you jsut can beat the cost of living and the great enviroment here. If you need any info let me know.

Alabama, wow, I never would have thought of that. My friend who is marrying a Chinese woman is from LA (Lower Alabama) but is living in Florida.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll look into it. I bet there's some good wilderness around there too.

Oh the wilderness is amazing. in the upper part of Huntsville is Monte Sano mountain. Not to mention you can move into Madison (the city right beside Huntsville) and the cost of living is cheaper, amazing people, and the neighborhoods are fantastic. Also there's Bob Jones High School which is my alma mater and definitely the better out of the schools in Huntsville or Madison.

I've attempted to move away from Huntsville many times but you jsut can beat the cost of living and the great enviroment here. If you need any info let me know.

Amber, what is the general job market like there?

Like what kind of industries? The job market is really healthy here for post college graduates. The main industries here are automobiles, electronics, and engineering. Or at least that's what i see most of. And if you've got the skills and the degree then finding a job here would be no problem, companies here are ALWAYS looking for new people because most people use working in Huntsville as a springboard location for many jobs.

http://daily.greencine.com/archives/gump-apple.jpg

:lol:

How about some of the largest sites for companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin? Also a technology-focused military base.

Thanks Amber, I do have a bachelors degree in civil engineering with an environmental major, I wonder if I could use this in Alabama or in China for that matter.

I also have an Uncle in Dallas, Tx. I'll have to ask him to, in case you can't tell, I'm tired of being cold in the north.

Thanks Amber, I do have a bachelors degree in civil engineering with an environmental major, I wonder if I could use this in Alabama or in China for that matter.

I also have an Uncle in Dallas, Tx. I'll have to ask him to, in case you can't tell, I'm tired of being cold in the north.

Oh no doubt you could find something down here. And yeh if you hate northern weather you're going to LOVE Huntsville lol. Right now we're angry because when it's cold it's like 48. Then again we're used it being so warm haha