New SSN in 4-8 weeks?

Hi,

We just went over to the SSN office on Friday and after about an hour waiting in a packed room, we got a window to talk to someone.

The paperwork seemed to go pretty well but they told us that "The name change needs to be verified which takes 4-8 weeks". My new wife decided to take my last name but keep her original first name. She also moved her original last name as a middle name.

The marriage license, which we gave the office, has the new spelling and format.

My question is basically, where else are they trying to verify/confirm the new name?? Did we do something wrong? I have been reading some other posts where people received the new SSN within about 4-8 DAYS.

BTW, we have not yet filed any AOS/EAD yet. I understand it might be easier if we get the SSN then state ID and finally apply for the AOS.

Thanks!

Yes - unfortunately, her immigration status may require that her name on the SS card be the same as in the immigration database (i.e., the same name she used at the POE)

Depends on SSA office, many tend to be hard-heads and want to use maiden name only.

We were lucky the SSA office in Rochester simply took our SSA application after marriage and issued the card in married name.

We obtained two social security cards.

The first one we obtained about ten days after arrival and in Ping's maiden name. It arrived in one week as I recall.

The second one we obtained after we got married and before we filed for AOS and EAD. We simply presented our marriage license, and had the card issued in her married name, using her former last name as her middle name. That card also arrived in one week.

Ok, thanks. I guess nothing more I can do at this point but wait and see.

So if they do require the SSN in her maiden name then when can I change it? I was reading earlier posts and I was under the impression this was the easiest road to travel...

Can change it at the time you get EAD card or Green-card that has married name on it.

Make sure you file I-485, and I-765 using married name, and list maiden name on the "Other name used" line on G-325A, and on the "Name on I-94" line on the I-485.

Shortly after my fianc¨¦ arrived, we went ahead and got married. We changed her name only by adding my last name to her first and last. After two weeks we got the official notarized marriage certificate in the mail headed off to our local Social Security Office armed with original paperwork and filed for a new card and number for her. That was seven weeks ago.

The woman at the Social Security Office did not want to process the paperwork for my wife at first, but my wife and I came well armed with all the information CFL provided. (Thank you, all) :unsure: She said she could not process the paperwork with my wife's new (married) name? I told her I would just come back and get the card changed to her married name, if I could not make this happen now. However, I told her I was pretty sure this could be done right now and we could save us both a lot of paperwork, headache, and time. After a little insistence, the woman at the counter reluctantly agreed to process the paperwork for a new SS Card in wife's married name. She said to be aware that the SS cards are taking between four and six weeks to process now? She blamed DHS?

We went back to the same office this morning to ask them where we were in the process of getting a new card. We were told that my wife had not been 'loaded' into the system in the first 30 days after she arrived in country and there was no match for her name. However, the man we talked to today at the same SS Office was somehow able to look at the system and found her. He used our original receipt from our first visit to the SS Office and filed again. We are supposed get her new card in the mail within 10 days to two weeks. Again we wait¡­ :sleep1:

The other odd thing is that the SS Administration is supposed to mail you a notice saying there was no match in the (DHS ?) system and that they couldn¡¯t issue a new card! We never got this notice either¡­ :(

I read quite a bit here about this myself, and decided to follow a path many here recommend. When Jie got here, we went and applied for her SSN in her maiden name. She got the number the next day (they said I could call and ask what it was), and a week later she got the card in the mail. Then we married, she added my last name to her first and last (now middle) name. We just got the marriage license in the mail, so we'll go apply for the name change in Social Security. So far it seems to be going just the way you guys here said it would. :) :)

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Mine took about 3~4 weeks. and it didn't even involve any name change, only to bring the EAD card in to update my SSN so it says "valid for employment only with DHS authorization..."

Then do it again after getting green-card to get the "Valid with DHS Auth" removed.

Mine took about 3~4 weeks. and it didn't even involve any name change, only to bring the EAD card in to update my SSN so it says "valid for employment only with DHS authorization..."

Then do it again after getting green-card to get the "Valid with DHS Auth" removed.

yea I know, so annoying, right? :cheering: But just in case I can get a good job before getting the green card...

Shortly after my fianc¡§? arrived, we went ahead and got married. We changed her name only by adding my last name to her first and last. After two weeks we got the official notarized marriage certificate in the mail headed off to our local Social Security Office armed with original paperwork and filed for a new card and number for her. That was seven weeks ago.

The woman at the Social Security Office did not want to process the paperwork for my wife at first, but my wife and I came well armed with all the information CFL provided. (Thank you, all) :yahoo: She said she could not process the paperwork with my wife's new (married) name? I told her I would just come back and get the card changed to her married name, if I could not make this happen now. However, I told her I was pretty sure this could be done right now and we could save us both a lot of paperwork, headache, and time. After a little insistence, the woman at the counter reluctantly agreed to process the paperwork for a new SS Card in wife's married name. She said to be aware that the SS cards are taking between four and six weeks to process now? She blamed DHS?

We went back to the same office this morning to ask them where we were in the process of getting a new card. We were told that my wife had not been 'loaded' into the system in the first 30 days after she arrived in country and there was no match for her name. However, the man we talked to today at the same SS Office was somehow able to look at the system and found her. He used our original receipt from our first visit to the SS Office and filed again. We are supposed get her new card in the mail within 10 days to two weeks. Again we wait?? :D

The other odd thing is that the SS Administration is supposed to mail you a notice saying there was no match in the (DHS ?) system and that they couldn??t issue a new card! We never got this notice either?? :rolleyes:

Amazing. I think these 'data providers' are falling down on the job. And, it's not a government job, it's a private contractor 'job' - for munging data about between the 'systems'. Geez.

Glad to hear it's finally working out, though...