OT: The English Language

I thought the following statement was interesting so I thought I would share it with everyone. Those of us who are fluent in the English language shouldn't have any difficulty at all in reading the below text. However, I am curious about those who can read some English, but their native language is, let's say, Chinese. I'm guessing they will understand some of the words but perhaps not all. Languages are certainly interesting, aren't they!

"The paomnnehil pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rseearcher at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?"

Taht's vrey intesretnig!!!

The hard one for me is phenomenal, I know this word, I know what it means in Chinese, but i didn't know how to spell. When i first saw paomnnehil, I guess it might be phenomenal.

The hardest one is rscheearcher, I still didn't get it. Is it researcher? I think it must be researcher, but where can I put the other "ch"?

wow...it really works.  the only word i had trouble with was phenomenal....but that must be because i'm a latent dyslexic.  Sort of like that joke....you know....the one about the dyslexic agnostic procrastinator?  He laid around all day wondering if there was a Dog.  yeah, i know...BAD!

very good, skrunks ... and is there really a Dog! This same person may also be a member of the "National Dyslexic Association" (DNA).

Taht's vrey intesretnig!!!

The hard one for me is phenomenal, I know this word, I know what it means in Chinese, but i didn't know how to spell. When i first saw paomnnehil, I guess it might be phenomenal.

The hardest one is rscheearcher, I still didn't get it. Is it researcher? I think it must be researcher, but where can I put the other "ch"?

Q&Q,

You did very well! I am impressed. Yes, it is "phenomenal." And yes, there was an extra "ch" in "researcher. I've now taken that extra "ch" out of the original text.

I thought this was an interesting piece of trivia about the English language and wanted to share it with others. But I was curious if a non-native speaker would also be able to read that particular text without difficulty and I now have my answer. Thank you!

By the way, I like your avatar! I wouldn't mind having the same one. Where did you find it? I'm not even sure how to add an avatar to my name.

By the way, I like your avatar!  I wouldn't mind having the same one.  Where did you find it?  I'm not even sure how to add an avatar to my name.

If you want to add an avatar to your name, go to control panel and edit avatar setting. I can't remember where I found mine. If you'd like to use it too, I'm not sure if it's already in the avatar list. If not, you may try save mine to your computer, then upload it.

Q&Q

Guest bbridges51

As long as we're talking about recognizing words, one reason ALL CAPs and san serif fonts drive many people nuts is that we do read by scanning a word as a whole. Serif fonts, with their little curly cues (ms), make it easier for us to link all the letters into a unit. ALL CAPs does the same thing, causing us to look more closely at the letter unit and slowing us down.

thus endith our reading lesson.

Brian