60 Minutes in China

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/06/...in4579229.shtml

It's so sad. I think that Colorado Recycling company guy needs to be shipped over there and work over there, you know since it's so hard for the small American business owner. Maybe he can make more money with the gangsters. It seems like they really wanted to recycle their cameras as well. :(

Yeah, that guy's a lying scumbag. They should send him over there to clean that dump with his bare hands. :(

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's so sad. I think that Colorado Recycling company guy needs to be shipped over there and work over there, you know since it's so hard for the small American business owner. Maybe he can make more money with the gangsters. It seems like they really wanted to recycle their cameras as well. :(

Yeah, that guy's a lying scumbag. They should send him over there to clean that dump with his bare hands. :(

Dave, you seem to have a burden for this. I think it's a good thing you do. Have you ever considered moving here and helping to educate the poor in China?

Dave, you seem to have a burden for this. I think it's a good thing you do. Have you ever considered moving here and helping to educate the poor in China?

You can do your share as well, Jesse. Can we send you our old computers for proper distribution to China's poor?

Geez Jesse. Is there any lethal working condition we can impose on these people that you won't defend using the "doing the best with what they have" argument? :( Paraphrasing what the guy in the piece said: "We're asking them to choose between poverty and poisoning. We shouldn't be asking them to make that choice." I realize that if China wants to import this toxic crap and let poor people kill themselves salvaging it, that's their business. But we shouldn't have any part in contributing to it IMHO.

It's just not a perfect world Dave. Sorry, but it's just not. In my view, what happens, is that people of Western and modern nations have become so insulated to the world, that they forget that there are poor living in the very cities where they enjoy heat, a new car, a good job, full stomachs, luxurious shopping malls, and all of the benefits that go with it. Then, they turn on their TV, and watch a program like 60-minutes, or some other expose on the poor in some country other than their own. What is the answer to make everyone comfortable, and eliminate dangerous working conditions, feed the hungry, heal the infirmed? All of the money in the world won't change it.

If tomorrow, Joe Good guy walks into town and eliminates all of the unsafe things that the poor of the world do to survive, then what? These people are starving. They are cold and hungry. They live in unsanitary, and repugnant conditions. It's not just here in China; pick whatever third world country you choose.

What seems to happen after a newspaper or television programs broadcasts these kind of shows, is that it brings out the "oh, how terrible" crowd. Truly, it is terrible that people have to live this way. Perhaps one day, the world will be strong enough and rich enough to eliminate the hurt the poor feel everyday. In our lifetime? Who knows?

Gee, thanks for gracing Candle with yet another of your condescending lectures on how the world isn't a perfect place Jesse. :( And thank goodness we have you in China to remind us that there are cold, hungry starving people there. :( What would we do here in our insulated little world if we didn't have you to remind us that it's a jungle out there. <_<

You're right. Just ignore all of it. Because that's the fastest way to ensure that things will change. :ph34r:

Have you?

Guest ShaQuaNew

You can do your share as well, Jesse. Can we send you our old computers for proper distribution to China's poor?

Me? Hell no. I'm a selfish guy. I would rather not sacrifice what I've worked long and hard to give away to some poor family. My goodness. It's right for others, but not for me.

:(

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Me? Hell no. I'm a selfish guy. I would rather not sacrifice what I've worked long and hard to give away to some poor family. My goodness. It's right for others, but not for me.

:(

Jesse is poor enough Dave...He can't even afford a house in China... :(

Guest ShaQuaNew

:D

Jesse is poor enough Dave...He can't even afford a house in China... :unsure:

That's right! What about me? I might be able to afford a time share though. I mean, like staying with someone as long as they let me. I will share their shower and kitchen.

:angry:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

;)

Jesse is poor enough Dave...He can't even afford a house in China... :angry:

That's right! What about me? I might be able to afford a time share though. I mean, like staying with someone as long as they let me. I will share their shower and kitchen.

:D

Aw come on, Jesse. You're a celeb loawei who could stay anywhere. :unsure:

Guest ShaQuaNew

That's what I keep telling myself when I get those looking into your soul stares when I walk around town.

But seriously, I actually do have a burden for the poor in China. I am a bit flawed in my thinking as I always wonder what one person could do to help. It is my hope and dream, that one day Lan and I will open a school, in a city yet to be determined, to teach English, and perhaps even other classes.

That's what I keep telling myself when I get those looking into your soul stares when I walk around town.

But seriously, I actually do have a burden for the poor in China. I am a bit flawed in my thinking as I always wonder what one person could do to help. It is my hope and dream, that one day Lan and I will open a school, in a city yet to be determined, to teach English, and perhaps even other classes.

I read modesty here. Maybe, what you are feeling is the same that many of us (well, what I) felt when we realize how such simple things that we do could have profound changes in others lives.

How does Lan feel about this desire?

Your 'burden' isn't flawed thinking. It is your compassion. But, you know that, I'm sure.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Aw come on, Jesse. You're a celeb loawei who could stay anywhere. :hug:

I read modesty here. Maybe, what you are feeling is the same that many of us (well, what I) felt when we realize how such simple things that we do could have profound changes in others lives.

How does Lan feel about this desire?

Your 'burden' isn't flawed thinking. It is your compassion. But, you know that, I'm sure.

I am a truly a luck guy Dennis, in that my wife is extremely supportive and trusting of me. Truth be told, we don't have a big retirement savings on which to draw in tough times, or when I'm not able to work or find a job. Lan's family and friends have extended warmth, love and caring to us unlike I've ever experienced in this life. Her older brother insisted that if we ever fell on tough times, that we go live with him, and that he would find me work. I would normally feel awkward at such a suggestion, but he looked right into my heart from his own heart when he said it. One thing for sure, the people of China, especially from the older generations are willing to share and help one another, in a way that those of us from the West just don't understand.