What is the longest anyone waited for a visa from time they received p

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out how long others may have waited for a visa from the time they were issued a pink slip.

I know the normal wait time for the visa to "arrive" at the Guangzhou post office is 2-3 days.

a couple of you have mentioned it took about 10-12 days.

Are there any others who took longer than that?

Can it still mean there is no problem?

Does it indicate it can be a serious problem?

We've been through 2 blue slips after the interview and finally got a "congratulations letter" for him to come and submit his passport and get his visa.

He did that and now we're still waiting...it's been more than 2 weeks now. Still no visa.

?

So, just wondering if others have experienced such a long wait (or longer) and what the outcome was.

Thanks!

:happydance:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out how long others may have waited for a visa from the time they were issued a pink slip.

I know the normal wait time for the visa to "arrive" at the Guangzhou post office is 2-3 days.

We've been through 2 blue slips after the interview and finally got a "congratulations letter" for him to come and submit his passport and get his visa.

He did that and now we're still waiting...it's been more than 2 weeks now. Still no visa.

?

So, just wondering if others have experienced such a long wait (or longer) and what the outcome was.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

It does sound like you're waiting longer than normal. If I understand your case correctly, it seems your partner attended the interview in Guangzhou, and was granted a visa at that time? Now, you are awaiting the issue? If that is indeed the case, I don't recall ever hearing of anyone having a case denied after it was approved in the interview.

I'm guessing that you've tried contacting the office for an explanation. If so, what if anything have you heard?

Hello ShaquaNew,

He was actually given a blue at the interview (for something I had already submitted AND he tried to submit at the interview but they wouldn't take it).

We answered that...

Then got another blue.

We answered that. (two blues total).

2.5 months later he got a "congratulations your immigrant visa has been approved" letter, which he brought to GUZ with this passport as instructed- to get his visa.

And was told 2-3 days wait...

but he waited... and waited....

and waited until he couldn't wait any longer-- he had to go back home to work...(as he can't risk losing his job until he has a visa)...

over 2 weeks with no word.

Yes, we sure did try to contact them.

We both e-mailed them.

He faxed them twice. I faxed them once. No response.

So, I have contacted my congressman's office for help to find out what's happened.

Because-- for all we know, it's lost in the mail and that's his right to find that out because that's his passport!! He needs to know so that he can try to locate it or get a new one! If it's missing, he needs to be able to report it missing or stolen.

I also called DOS-- they don't have any info at all... not even that a visa has been approved. Nothing. It's actually back to "administrative processing" again after the latest info they had 2-3 weeks ago was that he'd been issued a "call-in letter" (I'm assuming that was the congratulations, your immigrant visa has been approved letter).

Hi everyone,

?

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

It does sound like you're waiting longer than normal. If I understand your case correctly, it seems your partner attended the interview in Guangzhou, and was granted a visa at that time? Now, you are awaiting the issue? If that is indeed the case, I don't recall ever hearing of anyone having a case denied after it was approved in the interview.

I'm guessing that you've tried contacting the office for an explanation. If so, what if anything have you heard?

there was a time in 2002 when the rules changed. Consular procedures were changed in the wake of 9/11 and visa production was suddenly stopped. people came to pick up their visas, only to find out they weren't there. It was 6 months or so later before they started up again. During this time, no information was forthcoming from the Consulate.

Just like the situation you're in, but MUCH longer.

The Black Hole Empties

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi Randy W,

It would seem possible that to be the case (IF) others were reporting the same thing.

They're not.

Everyone one who my husband ran into while in GUZ got their visa in 2 days!

And we can see here at CFL that others also have gotten their visa while there at about the same time w/in 2-3 days also.

So, something is wrong-- just "how wrong"? We can't know.

I'm going to talk with the congressman's office today after I forwarded the docs to them and the faxes/e-mails we sent.

Hopefully they can find out something for us...she told me before she can make a phone call to find out something.

After all, the point is (one of them): his visa could be lost in the mail or stolen..(his passport of course with it) and he has a right (you'd think)? to find out if that's the case or what the case is...so that if it's so, he can report it lost or stolen and either locate it or get a new one.

:(

there was a time in 2002 when the rules changed. Consular procedures were changed in the wake of 9/11 and visa production was suddenly stopped. people came to pick up their visas, only to find out they weren't there. It was 6 months or so later before they started up again. During this time, no information was forthcoming from the Consulate.

Just like the situation you're in, but MUCH longer.

The Black Hole Empties

Randy,

Yes, we both e-mailed them and got the same reply that they can't verify who we are... (which I can't understand because our e-mails are listed on documentation all the way through the application process since 2 years ago).

That's really unfortunate that the "black hole" issue happened at all!

Are all of those people now cleared?

My gosh!

Did any of them get legal assistance and WIN during that time? Help from congresspeople or Senators?

geeze that's terrible!

Yes, you're correct. I hope it's not due to third party correspondence or some other last minute factor coming up in your case.

I don't see if you've emailed the consulate. they probably won't tell you anything, but it's worth a try.

Randy,

Yes, we both e-mailed them and got the same reply that they can't verify who we are... (which I can't understand because our e-mails are listed on documentation all the way through the application process since 2 years ago).

My gosh!

Did any of them get legal assistance and WIN during that time? Help from congresspeople or Senators?

geeze that's terrible!

Yes, you're correct. I hope it's not due to third party correspondence or some other last minute factor coming up in your case.

I don't see if you've emailed the consulate. they probably won't tell you anything, but it's worth a try.

Yeah, I remember that now. A fax may work. I think these two devices are the only ways to go directly to the consulate workers, so keep trying.

The consulate is an entirely separate legal entity. They don't really (legally) answer to anyone. Even the congressman can only make inquiries and rely on their good-will. So there is no recourse if you are wronged.

Try to verify your email by fax. Include all names and the GUZ case number.

I hope you can find out soon, but they have been known to put a case on "lock-down", where they don't respond to anything about the case.

Randy,

My gosh!

geeze that's terrible!

:D

Yeah, I remember that now. A fax may work. I think these two devices are the only ways to go directly to the consulate workers, so keep trying.

The consulate is an entirely separate legal entity. They don't really (legally) answer to anyone. Even the congressman can only make inquiries and rely on their good-will. So there is no recourse if you are wronged.

Try to verify your email by fax. Include all names and the GUZ case number.

I hope you can find out soon, but they have been known to put a case on "lock-down", where they don't respond to anything about the case.

Hi Randy,

What would cause a "Lock down" of a case???

"I hope you can find out soon, but they have been known to put a case" "on "lock-down", where they don't respond to anything about the case."

Tom and Ling

Hi Randy,

What would cause a "Lock down" of a case???

"I hope you can find out soon, but they have been known to put a case" "on "lock-down", where they don't respond to anything about the case."

Tom and Ling

That would be when they're about to ship it back to the states with a recommendation to revoke.

OH MY GOSH!!!!! 7 months after ????

How did you guys cope??

My congressman's office said it has taken 2 years before but that they've never seen a case where the reason wasn't very clear...

hmmm.

But why would they jerk him around like that and let him come to GUZ and wait all that time for the post office to deliver?? My god!! And not say a word? AND meantime he has no idea what's happened to his passport.

Well, in that case, I may go ahead with an amnio-- and ask him to forward DNA too...

no guarantee, but at least it looks more pressing that he be here and proof that it's his baby...and I'm alone. It may be our only last defense in ceasing the unnecessary delays.

But we'll see what the congressman's office cna find out if anything. ?

:0

We actually got our visa in hand seven months from the day it was approved....but that was back in the Black Hole era. :rolleyes: :roller:

How did you guys cope??

My congressman's office said it has taken 2 years before but that they've never seen a case where the reason wasn't very clear...

hmmm.

But why would they jerk him around like that and let him come to GUZ and wait all that time for the post office to deliver?? My god!! And not say a word? AND meantime he has no idea what's happened to his passport.

Well, in that case, I may go ahead with an amnio-- and ask him to forward DNA too...

no guarantee, but at least it looks more pressing that he be here and proof that it's his baby...and I'm alone. It may be our only last defense in ceasing the unnecessary delays.

We actually got our visa in hand seven months from the day it was approved....but that was back in the Black Hole era. ;) ;)

Our case, and many, many, others, were delayed due to a change in the rules midstream. It was a real nightmare to say the least. Li had her successful interview on August 20, 2002 and we finally were notified to pick up the visa in March, 2003.

It was this fiasco, often referred to as the Black Hole, that caused Candle to be created in the first place. Guys like Don, tony (tonado), Tine and Ella, Robert S. are among the old timers here on the board who were around in those days. It was a real mess. I don't know if any of our old posts are still in existence, but if they are, you might go back and read a few of them. It was a nasty, gut-wrenching time for all of us. You could get no info out of GZ except boilerplate letters.

I think it would be a good thing if Don or one of the mods might do a post explaining the Black Hole and the birth of Candle. It might be a educative experience for some of the newer people on the board.

the black hole. sounds horrific to put it too lightly.

well, in this case, others around him - left and right - have been getting their visas within a very fair amount of time (2-3 days). Perhaps we've fallen into our own black hole and we're not even aware of it...

I can't believe the woman who called him didn't offer him ANYTHING...couldn't even tell him if there was some problem or not... couldn't even give him an "estimate" of when the visa will be delivered. Didn't tell him diddley squat. Why couldn't she just be honest with him? It's his passport after all!

What goes on in that place day to day?

Doesn't anybody in that place ever feel bad for what's happening and go ahead and do the right thing?

:D

How did you guys cope??

hmmm.

We actually got our visa in hand seven months from the day it was approved....but that was back in the Black Hole era. :P :P

Our case, and many, many, others, were delayed due to a change in the rules midstream. It was a real nightmare to say the least. Li had her successful interview on August 20, 2002 and we finally were notified to pick up the visa in March, 2003.

It was this fiasco, often referred to as the Black Hole, that caused Candle to be created in the first place. Guys like Don, tony (tonado), Tine and Ella, Robert S. are among the old timers here on the board who were around in those days. It was a real mess. I don't know if any of our old posts are still in existence, but if they are, you might go back and read a few of them. It was a nasty, gut-wrenching time for all of us. You could get no info out of GZ except boilerplate letters.

I think it would be a good thing if Don or one of the mods might do a post explaining the Black Hole and the birth of Candle. It might be a educative experience for some of the newer people on the board.