What if spouse wants to bring parents to US?

My wife and I spoke about this a few times in the past. alhough we don't know that we will do, I though I'd ask some questions anyways.

So I know she has to get citzenship first, which we're not sure if she will. But say she does, she can then petition for her parents as she'd be a USC.

Does this take the same amount of time that it took for me to petition her (8+ months)?

Are the requirements the same, eg, proof we can support them, relationship, going to lovely Guangdong, and all that jazz?

Anything else that might be good to know? Anyone on here have their spouse become a citizen and then they try to petition for his/her parents? Many moons ago I think I once read it takes longer for naturalized citizens to petition someone???

There is no quota for visas for parents of US citizens. The timeline and requirements are similar to a CR-1 for a spouse. Usually a little over a year. I don't think a lawful permanant resident can file for parents. She would need to become a US citizen to bring her parents here. She can apply for US citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the issue date of her 1st green card.

There is no quota for visas for parents of US citizens. The timeline and requirements are similar to a CR-1 for a spouse. Usually a little over a year. I don't think a lawful permanant resident can file for parents. She would need to become a US citizen to bring her parents here. She can apply for US citizenship 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of the issue date of her 1st green card.

Yeah, mr dnobblet already confirmed that she must be a citiznes for me a ways back. That's when I though i could petition them, but that is not possible.

That's cool 90 days prior to GC 3rd year anni....that's news to me.

Thanks for the response. Nighty night! :cheering: :cheering:

Anything else that might be good to know? Anyone on here have their spouse become a citizen and then they try to petition for his/her parents? Many moons ago I think I once read it takes longer for naturalized citizens to petition someone???

We will be going through this process shortly. My wife has filed for her citizenship. Once she has that, we will file the I-130's for her parents. I will keep you posted on progress.

I should clarify that it is 3 years to become eligible to apply for citizenship if they are still married to the same US citizen. Otherwise it is 5 years.

Hi warpedbored and mchina34,

You are right about the 90 days prior to 3 years,,however my second wife applied for US Citizenship and for the North carolina service center at least she really did not get the actual Citizenship until 4 years...it seems it takes one year from filing for US Citizenship to the time one gets it and there is also a ceremony.....However other States might be a shorter timeline.

Tom and Ling

My concern with bringing the parents to the US is providing medical insurance for them. Would they qualify for medicare since they are not US citizens? Private insurance (Kaiser, Blue Cross, etc) would be sky high for 2 elderly people.

Even having them visit for 6 months would be a great liability. If one had a serious illness while in the US, it could potentially wipe out my savings.

How do people handle this?

We will be going through this process shortly. My wife has filed for her citizenship. Once she has that, we will file the I-130's for her parents. I will keep you posted on progress.

Thank you kindly.

My concern with bringing the parents to the US is providing medical insurance for them. Would they qualify for medicare since they are not US citizens? Private insurance (Kaiser, Blue Cross, etc) would be sky high for 2 elderly people.

Even having them visit for 6 months would be a great liability. If one had a serious illness while in the US, it could potentially wipe out my savings.

How do people handle this?

Yeah, I've thought about this as well. You can buy a monthly INS plan, which usually sucks, but will help in the event of something very costly like surgery.

Also, I think they can get welfare/healthcare being that they would be residents and make zero income. Anyone say otherwise??

In order for your wife to bring them over here she will have to file an I-864 at some point in the visa process. She will be responsible that they won't become a burden on the state until they become US citizens themselves or return to China. Should they need public assistance the state could come after your wife for compensation.

I don't think there is any difference in timelines for naturalized citizens vs natural born citizens. the category is the same.

i used to work at a county hospital and I know for sure the poor folks that would come in there were not paying as they had some form of state medical INS that was paying the expenses. i would think this covers permanent residents as well...

worst case one can always buy INS policies that cover the major stuff...high deductible policies that are only to be used for emergency. of course if they have repeated hospital visits yearly that are withing the high deductible then you would be scrwed. :(