China Taiwan Relations...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

There is more good news happening in regard to relations between China and Taiwan. While there is a ways to go before there is complete trust, it's looking more and more like they're well on the road.

China envoy arrives in Taiwan on rare visit

(CNN) -- The most senior Chinese official to visit Taiwan in nearly 60 years arrived on the island Monday for economic talks -- a sign of improving relations.

China's top negotiator with Taiwan, Chen Yunlin, arrives in Taoyuan, Taiwan, Monday.

Chen Yunlin, president of the Association of Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, leads a delegation of 60 for talks this week with his counterpart, Chiang Pin-kung, chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation.

"I feel like I'm standing at the crossroads of history," Chen said ahead of the visit, the state-run China Daily newspaper reported.

The talks will avoid volatile political issues and focus instead on economic cooperation, state media reported.

"The mission is clear and well-defined," Chen said. "No political issues pertaining to cross-Straits relations will be involved, nor will Taiwan's internal political affairs."

Chinese and Taiwanese officials agreed in June to set up permanent offices in each other's territories, in the first formal talks between the two sides in almost a decade. The Beijing talks also resulted in the agreement for weekend charter flights.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/...hina/index.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone hopes that there will always be peace between the mainland and the errant province of Taiwan... :blink:

I read another article today about the young on Taiwan not being so interested in improving relations as they are afraid that a move toward unfication with China would lead to a lessening of their democratic system. I think both parties need to go slow and China will need to accept the fact that re-unification will certainly involve significant guarantees of the freedoms that Taiwanese have come to expect...much like the system that Hong Kong enjoys...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Everyone hopes that there will always be peace between the mainland and the errant province of Taiwan... :stupid:

I read another article today about the young on Taiwan not being so interested in improving relations as they are afraid that a move toward unfication with China would lead to a lessening of their democratic system. I think both parties need to go slow and China will need to accept the fact that re-unification will certainly involve significant guarantees of the freedoms that Taiwanese have come to expect...much like the system that Hong Kong enjoys...

It doesn't appear that China has any interest in changing the government of Taiwan. They are aware that there is a lot of sensitivity about the subject, so wisely chose to leave politics out of the discussion.

On a slightly side Taiwan note... :lol: It has been great fun lately watching the downfall of former President Chen... :rolleyes: It seems he had oodles of embezzled cash stashed in just about every country in the world... :rolleyes:

The only question remaining is who was the bigger Taiwan Thief...him or Chiang Kai-Shek??? :icecream:

Guest ShaQuaNew

On a slightly side Taiwan note... :P It has been great fun lately watching the downfall of former President Chen... :D It seems he had oodles of embezzled cash stashed in just about every country in the world... :lol:

The only question remaining is who was the bigger Taiwan Thief...him or Chiang Kai-Shek??? :o

It's important to note one of the former Taiwan president's parting comments, "Everyone is doing it." The corruption in Taiwan runs far deeper than him. Also, it was big news in China today, as China and Taiwan signed an agreement which will allow increased tourist traffic from China to Taiwan, which will originate from more than 20 China cities and more than 70 flights per week. This will be of great help for both nations.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

From today's news....

Taiwan: Pact with China could lead to peace

TAIPEI, Taiwan ¡ª Following the highest-level talks ever between China and Taiwan, Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou expressed hope Tuesday for an eventual peace accord with the two longtime rivals.

"We do not exclude the possibility that we will negotiate and sign a peace agreement," Ma told USA TODAY in a 40-minute interview at the presidential palace. "We don't know how long it will take. ¡­ We have to improve relations with the mainland on a step-by-step basis."

Last week, Chinese envoy Chen Yunlin met with Ma in Taiwan and signed an agreement expanding air, shipping and postal links between the island and mainland.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-11-11-taiwan_N.htm

Guest ShaQuaNew

Ah it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood... :D former President Chen is in the slammer... :toot: :bleh: :yahoo:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1112/p04s01-woap.html

However as the article also notes there were violent protests against the mainland China envoy arriving in Taiwan... :( This get together of the former enemies is NOT going to be easy or quick... :huh:

All is not well in Taiwan, as there are many people there who are very upset with any warming of relations with China. On the other hand, there are also many people and businesses that will benefit with a loosening on travel and tourism. Add to it, an increase in the exchange of consumer goods and business partnerships, you have the beginnings of change. My company has its main office in Taiwan, so I often ask the people there about their thoughts about these recent changes. The people that were born and raised there are embarrassed by the President Chen scandal, and while apprehensive of the new president, are mostly in agreement that warming up to China is a good thing.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

America play an important role on Taiwan issue :huh: sigh. It is just international relationship.

We can only hope that America learns to start keeping it's expansionist nose out of it.

:ph34r:

America play an important role on Taiwan issue -_- sigh. It is just international relationship.

We can only hope that America learns to start keeping it's expansionist nose out of it.

:roller:

Yeah! Don't tryin to export any of that damn diplomacy or peace stuff. :giggle: But keep that toxic e-waste comin cause the poor farmers need thier chemotherapy. :roller:

Guest ShaQuaNew

America play an important role on Taiwan issue -_- sigh. It is just international relationship.

:giggle:

Yeah! Don't tryin to export any of that damn diplomacy or peace stuff. -_- But keep that toxic e-waste comin cause the poor farmers need thier chemotherapy. :roller:

You're on a roll dave. Spread the love around.

:roller:

Bubba, I know yer a-tryin.. But... My Reality is a bit nasty. and here it goes... follow me, pay attention...

Taiwanese folk in da USA totally LOATHE PRC people in the USA. They will go out of their way to 'ding' a PRC person , anytime, any where, with any means - legal or illegal.

I note, to study WHY Taiwan was formed, the BASIC reason for being, WHY to migrate to Taiwan during WW-II - was useful to me. So I ask YOU - do you know why Taiwan exists?

Warmest Regards...