Dentistry in China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

My dentist has been redoing the work my wife has had in China; mostly replacing old, metal fillings.

I asked him if the Chinese dentist did bad work and he said no, just outdated.

When most Chinese people need medical or dental care, they go to the medical or dental hospital, where they wait in line until they are called. The majority of these places practice questionable methods and techniques; as in my wife's case, the dentist looked in my wife's mouth for a few seconds, and told her he would pull the tooth. These facilities do not have the equipment or expertise to employ or perform modern methods.

However, Western dentistry and medical care is widely available, you just have to pay the extra cost.

not sure Jin would agree with that.

and she didn't go to a "dental hospital" for her work.

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs B)

One thing for sure, as with anything, you have to look around. It's not as if you can go just anywhere. Bigger cities, have better doctors, and more options. But, with those options, it costs more money. Again, the prices are extremely high, and most Chinese are unable to afford it. And it's not just that. Most Chinese have no idea whatsoever the difference between Western and Eastern dentistry.

:(

So what is the difference?

The price.

My dentist has been redoing the work my wife has had in China; mostly replacing old, metal fillings.

When most Chinese people need medical or dental care, they go to the medical or dental hospital, where they wait in line until they are called. The majority of these places practice questionable methods and techniques; as in my wife's case, the dentist looked in my wife's mouth for a few seconds, and told her he would pull the tooth. These facilities do not have the equipment or expertise to employ or perform modern methods.

However, Western dentistry and medical care is widely available, you just have to pay the extra cost.

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs B)

One thing for sure, as with anything, you have to look around. It's not as if you can go just anywhere. Bigger cities, have better doctors, and more options. But, with those options, it costs more money. Again, the prices are extremely high, and most Chinese are unable to afford it. And it's not just that. Most Chinese have no idea whatsoever the difference between Western and Eastern dentistry.

The price.

Why are teeth so important anywy, I can type my bs with out them although I have most of mine still without the the medial touch. I would love to see my wife get all of hers pulled, but that is just me..

Guest ShaQuaNew

Well, for example, I've heard that dentist's offices in the southeastern US serve tacos and enchiladas in the waiting room, and in the south it's usually grits and cornbread.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

for me I think dentists are like car mechanics they can all fix your car but at greatly varing costs :blink:

B)

The price.

Why are teeth so important anywy, I can type my bs with out them although I have most of mine still without the the medial touch. I would love to see my wife get all of hers pulled, but that is just me..

And I betcha yur wife wood like ta see yur teef pulled as well......why don'ts yaw have a teef pullin contest? :(

This year I had my teeth fixed there, I was only going to have 5 caps, so I thought, my teeth were made up of alot of fillings before, the dentist said he would cap 17 of them and give me a bridge all so. I had only one cap before and it came off after 7 months, done in the U.S. . The dentists office was clean and he had modern equipment, plus he did speak some english. He ground down the old teeth for the caps, which are glued in place, they were made in sections of three teeth, I had a temporary set of caps while the permanant ones were made, took a week. I now have all my teeth, just 4 original, the rest are capped. It took about 5-6 hours on the first visit includeing breaks, the quality of his work was very good and the teeth are holding up really well. He went to school in Bejing, I was his first foreign customer, he took a picture of me with him and his assistant when he completed everything. The cost was 1200 dollars where here the quack I went to wanted 8000 he was a rip off artist. I am happy with the work. The teeth are made by Tilelite in ChongQing. :licklips:

The cost was 1200 dollars where here the quack I went to wanted 8000 he was a rip off artist. I am happy with the work. The teeth are made by Tilelite in ChongQing. B)

Please, don't think doctors and dentists are quacks here. As a respected professional who works in this industry, I can assure you the cost are much higher due to:

Rent

Dental Equipment

Computers

Medicine

Staff

Liability Insurance

Utilities

License fees

and other related costs. If you weren¡¯t happy with your dentist¡¯s estimated costs, go get a second opinion.

One of the main reasons why America is losing its great doctors is because of the raising costs of Liability Insurance.

My wife went back to China for some minor repair work but when it came to any major work ¨C she had it done here in the states. ;)

Guest ShaQuaNew

I am told that there is a dentist in guangzhou remove 4 wisdom tooth in a time within mins, no pain. :eatyum: we have 14 million set of tooth to be taken care of... boys... you can found extremely good dentist in China if you are smart enough :)

You're right. It's all about shopping around. There are options for everyone in China, but you have to search, and be smart about it.

I have a very good dentist here. I was hoping that both my wife and son would go to him, have any problems fixed, and begin regular checkups and cleanings. Good dental health is a priority for me.

They are both terrified of going to the dentist. I don't know if that is a reflection on Chinese dentistry, (I know, many Americans feel the same way).

I finally got my son to let me make an appointment for him (the date hasn't arrived yet). I don't think my wife is going to go until she sees what happens to our son.

This guy is the most painless dentist I've ever been to. I hope our son tells my wife that he didn't feel a thing...