joint bank account

It's d@mn near impossible. But - you CAN get her listed as a beneficiary for POD (payable on death) on your current account, just show copy of her ID and the marriage book.

SOME BANKS will allow you to send her a signature card via postal mail, she signs it and returns it to them, but you have to ask a banker (and not anyone in customer service over the phone). Show up at the bank with an envelope with her address on it.

IF you want to drop some change, get a premiere account with HSBC in China, can have joint account with minimum of 100 000 rmb to open.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

After 911 according to my banker things in the banking department got a lot harder when dealing with new accounts. We need a SS number and proof of residency . A woman walked into the bank a month ago. She was from Canada. She wanted to exchange Canadian money for US dollars. She was told if she did not have an account with the bank (HSBC) they were not allowed to exchange money. The teller informed her that she should go to the airport and try there. I inquired about this and teller said if you had a student visa (and account with bank)she could have exchanged the money but not otherwise.

Hi,

I just got off the phone with my bank. They told me if I send Xianxiu an 8BEN form to sign and have her return it to me along with her passport and bring the form, the passport and our marriage book to the bank they could add her to my bank account.

this is the web site to get the 8BEN

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8.pdf

You could check with your bank to see if they will do this for you also.

Gary

how does one go about getting the wife on my bank account,when she is not here to sign?

thanks

jimi

Jimi,

If you are worried about doing this just to have evidence of the relationship then you needn't worry. It simply can't be done and I believe it is due to the Patriot Act. GZ knows this as well.