Green Cards and China...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Depends on what work you are doing overseas, if the work has to do with the US Government, or religious organizations, then yes green-card holder can accompany you, and it wont count as time out of country against eventually applying for citizenship.

It also applies to private sector employment.

I confirmed with my friend who was recently in this situation. His Chinese wife had permanent residence and he able to remain in China for 4 continuous years without losing it. Those 4 years also counted as time against the 5-something years needed for citizenship.

There is some regulation that applies to those abroad in furtherance of goals beneficial to the US and private sector employment is valid.

Good point!

Note the 5 year requirement only applies if both persons are green-card holders, or if an unmarried green-card holder. If married to a US citizen continuously for 3 years can apply for citizenship in 3 years not 5.

Depends on what work you are doing overseas, if the work has to do with the US Government, or religious organizations, then yes green-card holder can accompany you, and it wont count as time out of country against eventually applying for citizenship.

It also applies to private sector employment.

I confirmed with my friend who was recently in this situation. His Chinese wife had permanent residence and he able to remain in China for 4 continuous years without losing it. Those 4 years also counted as time against the 5-something years needed for citizenship.

There is some regulation that applies to those abroad in furtherance of goals beneficial to the US and private sector employment is valid.

Good point!

Note the 5 year requirement only applies if both persons are green-card holders, or if an unmarried green-card holder. If married to a US citizen continuously for 3 years can apply for citizenship in 3 years not 5.

It sounds unbelievable to me when it is not even an American company. But that would NOT be the first point of immigration law that seems incredible to me... :o